Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
berhan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 426
Message 1 of 5

Helix 1st Gen won't boot after thermal re-paste

Hi, 

I bought a 2nd hand Helix i7 first gen. I know too old but incredible specs on paper. As you know there is an overheating problem and it follows performance issues (tried TPU Fan control).

And then I disassembe the device, my assumptions was right, thermal paste was dried. I re-pasted it but no boot. Fan is working, red light is on, heat increases very fast after a minute and fan speed increases but no boot. Tried with minidisplay cable and with monitor no boot. My screen is ok, tried with a different Helix device and its ok

Here is what I tried:

• Open it again and unplugged bios battery with plastic gloves and wait days and wont boot
  • Unplugged battery and hold power button over a minute and wont boot
  • Unplugged all IO cables and wont boot

Any solution or advice?

I'm in Turkey and I can't even contact Thinkpad official services

Can I buy a new motherboard from Lenovo? (Dont want to buy it from ebay, too expensive due to curreny exchange rates.)

Lenovo Employee Vmax100K
Lenovo Employee
Views: 388
Message 2 of 5

Re: Helix 1st Gen won't boot after thermal re-paste

HI ,Did you can find a reset ostiole the reverse side ? That is reset button , you can try to press it about 30s when connect power cable .Then try to press power button again . 

berhan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 383
Message 3 of 5

There is a hole near power cable plug, I tried that.

Did you mean reverse side of the main board?
Olivia8
Token Ring
Views: 274
Message 4 of 5

I f the motherboard can't work, you can look at AliExpress, maybe you can find the price you are satisfied with.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 247
Message 5 of 5

I have not worked on a Helix in a while, but I remember there were cables plugged into places that were awkward to get at, both on the top and bottom of the motherboard, so it was easy to get one in at a wrong angle or forget to clamp one cable into place, or leave one not plugged in all the way.  There are also daughter cards that can be hard to get plugged in.   The problem is likely to be an assembly error.  Start there.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors