cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrevorBuley
Paper Tape
Views: 10,947
Message 1 of 12

Helix 2 (Model 20CH) No Legacy Boot Option in BIOS.

We (Educational Instution) recently got delivered some 21 (more to come) Lenovo Helix 2 thinkpads (Model 20CH).
UEFI BIOS Version N17ET72W (1.72)
UEFI Bios Date 2015-02-05
ME Fireware version 10.0.30.1072

Currently I am unable to get the to either PXE Network boot nor boot from the Build USB stick.

I have isolated the issue down to bios settings.

The prior Helix's/Yoga's/Carbons all had the traditional 'DOS Looking' BIOS configuration.
In this bios there are 2 features that need to be changed in order for us to be able to boot off USB/LAN.
1. Disable 'UEFI secure boot' under 'Security'
2. Change boot setting to either 'Legacy first' or 'Legacy only' under 'Startup'.  (then save, reboot, press F12 to get boot menu then select usb or lan).

The issue with the new 20CH Helix 2's is that they use a different Thinkpad Tablet Setup Bios, and in this Bios I can only find option #1.
There is no setting for #2 anywhere in the BIOS.
Also checked the 20CH User guide which made no mention to legacy boot.
Cannot find any mention of 'Advanced' or hidden Bios features for this particular Model.
Even Dr Google has been unhelpful.

Help Please!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,898
Message 2 of 12

Re: Helix 2 (Model 20CH) No Legacy Boot Option in BIOS.

Go into the ThinkPad Tablet Setup

Go to Restart

Go down to - OS Optimized Defaults so it is highlighted and press enter

Change the setting to Disabled

Click Yes

Click Load Setup Defaults

Click Yes

Click Exit Saving Changes

Click Yes

This will give UEFI with CSM support and Secure Boot disabled.

TrevorBuley
Paper Tape
Views: 10,885
Message 3 of 12

Unfortunately under the 'Restart' menu option I don't have anything mentioning optimised defaults. (With UEFI on or Off).

The options I have are:

Exit Saving Changes

Exit Discarding Changes

Load Setup Defaults

Discard Changes

Save Changes

And If i choose 'Load Setup Defaults' its just a Yes/No option, there is no ability to choose disable.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,878
Message 4 of 12

Can you use the arrow keys to scroll down?  On mine it appears after Load Setup Defaults.  I'll have to check some other machines tomorrow.

TrevorBuley
Paper Tape
Views: 10,865
Message 5 of 12

Yes tried both touch and arrow keys to scroll.

'Save Changes' is the only option that is (partially) off the bottom of the screen.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,965
Message 6 of 12

I was actually on an earlier model.  The Helix 2 only supports UEFI.  There is no CSM support on Helix 2.  Therefore, your deployment tools will have to be updated to support UEFI-only.

TrevorBuley
Paper Tape
Views: 10,826
Message 7 of 12

OK,  Thanks for the info.

polarport
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,620
Message 8 of 12

I was going to purchase the Helix 2 this week, but if this only-UEFI mode is true, this model is out of the question for me...

Actually many ThinkPad users will be outrageous more than any other brand users when they find out new Thinkpads come with no option to disable UEFI. What is Lenovo thinking? Do you know the necessities of your own ThinkPad customer base?? We overpay on Thinkpads for the Service and the unlocked Freedom of installing any OS… if you know only offer Service, we may as well get a Mac.

Is ridiculous how companies still fail to see who are truly supporting the brand. We, robust ThinkPad fans, are not a majority within Thinkpad users at all, but the brand was risen with us and we are the ones we will wave the ThinkPad flag in times of difficulty. Nokia made the mistake of introducing Windows discarding any other OS and Coke introducing only ONE, both based only on the “what the majority” said they wanted; one stocked with the change and the other rectified fast; let’s see what Lenovo chooses to do.

ThinkPad executives... take a look across arstechnica.com to see what users think of a UEFI locked PC. For sure, I will stick with the Helix 1 for another year now.

TrevorBuley
Paper Tape
Views: 10,609
Message 9 of 12

It is an oddity yes, especailly as other current models still have the option - eg the 20BT X1 Carbon and the 20CO Yoga.

Even the brand new Yoga 3 Pro still has legacy boot as an option.

polarport
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,604
Message 10 of 12

Thank you TrevorBuley for confirming me that the 20BT has the Legacy option... I'll consider this a a potential substitute for my Helix 1. I was adoring the idea of a fanless solution but for sure not by compromising the freedom to boot on alternative OS.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors