Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fractalias
Paper Tape
Views: 1,694
Message 1 of 7

Helix 2 screen not turning on after sleeping

I have a 2nd gen. Helix which is having a very frustrating issue where (most of the time) after the screen times out and turns it self off it cannot be turned back on and I have to long press the power button to force a restart.  If the screen does manage to turn on after I press the power or windows key, it seems to lag a bit and take longer than it should.  When I manually turn the screen off by pressing the power button I have no issues waking the screen again when I need to.

Is there a fix for this as it's driving me crazy? 

Gandalforce
SCSI Port
Views: 1,652
Message 2 of 7
db999md
Punch Card
Views: 1,557
Message 3 of 7

Re: Helix 2 screen not turning on after sleeping

It is ridiculous how Lenovo does not have a fix for the not waking from sleep issue or some other official acknowledgement of this issue. 

Jwrightmcps
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,481
Message 4 of 7

Well I too have the same problem and was able to track it down to a recent update for windows 10 KB3140741 that causes it... I did a system restore to before the update and everything worked as expected, then I let the update get applied again and sure enough it caused my screen to not turn back on the moment I closed the lid, pressed the power button or used the "Sleep" command from the start menu... After I confirmed this I then rolled back again and used the "wushowhide.exe" tool from Microsoft to hide this update, let my system check for and apply updates then tested again without any issues at all...

Maybe others having the same issue can test my method to confirm it works for them too, but I can say it solved my issues and I am happy with my Helix again Smiley Happy

db999md
Punch Card
Views: 1,469
Message 5 of 7

can you confirm that you can put it into sleep, let it sit overnight and then have it wake up OK the next day. My crashes seem to happen only after connected standby decides to hibernate the computer after a period of non-use. 

I have solved this problem for me by enabling hibernate via the registry. If I manually hibernate the computer (takes like 5-10 sec)  then  it always wakes up ok.

Interestingly enough, if I set it to hibernate on close, the screen will not come back on resume. I think the screen may not come on if the screen is off when the computer hibernates. 

dennis 

Jwrightmcps
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,424
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response, was a bit busy this week... Anyway I tested your scenario and can report that it worked correctly and this was without any changes (such as enabling hibernate as you did) to the system...

I'd also like to add some more details to this issue... It appears there are quite a few hardware (driver) updates available from windows update that are not applied automatically and are actually the "real" cause for the issues. I was able to update all the hardware manually (right-clicking each item and selecting "Update Driver Software") within "Device Manager" and then after rebooting I was able to apply the KB3140741 update I had previously blocked without any issues (rebooted many times, testing every combination of sleeing possible) .. I will also add that the device now seems to wake faster and drain less power when sleeping (it used to drain about 5-6% per hour and now is less than 3%)... With that said please find the list of hardware that I updated below, they are listed in the exact order I did the updates. Also please note that you have to click on "View>Show hidden hardware" in device manager to see some of these items...

01) AMD - Other hardware - PCI busAMD - Other hardware - PCI bus
02) Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Core(TM) M Premium SKU LPC Controller - 9CC7Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Core(TM) M Premium SKU LPC Controller - 9CC7
03) Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Host Bridge - OPI - 1604Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Host Bridge - OPI - 1604
04) Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) PCI Express Root Port #1 - 9C90Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) PCI Express Root Port #1 - 9C90
05) Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9C94Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9C94
06) Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Thermal Management Controller - 9CA4Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Thermal Management Controller - 9CA4
07) Intel Corporation - Other hardware - Intel(R) Serial IO GPIO Host Controller - INT3437Intel Corporation - Other hardware - Intel(R) Serial IO GPIO Host Controller - INT3437
08) Intel Corporation - Bluetooth Controller - Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)Intel Corporation - Bluetooth Controller - Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)
09) Intel Mobile Communications - Other hardware - Intel(R) USB Flash Loader utilityIntel Mobile Communications - Other hardware - Intel(R) USB Flash Loader utility
10) Intel(R) Corporation - Audio Device - Intel® Smart Sound TechnologyIntel(R) Corporation - Audio Device - Intel® Smart Sound Technology
11) Lenovo - LCD, Other hardware - Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1920x1080Lenovo - LCD, Other hardware - Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1920x1080
12) Lenovo - Other hardware - Lenovo PM DeviceLenovo - Other hardware - Lenovo PM Device
13) Realtek - Camera, Other hardware - Integrated cameraRealtek - Camera, Other hardware - Integrated camera
14) Realtek - Other hardware - Realtek HW Audio CodecRealtek - Other hardware - Realtek HW Audio Codec
15) Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio Device - Realtek USB AudioRealtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio Device - Realtek USB Audio
16) Wacom Technology - Other hardware - Wacom DeviceWacom Technology - Other hardware - Wacom Device

Lastly, if anyone is interested I made a complete package (ICB.ppkg and ICD_Customizatoins.ppkg) for use with the Windows 10 (1511) ADK that can be used to build yourself a clean OEM installation of Windows 10 with all drivers/software needed to resolve the issues. This package when used with the ADK to deploy will also provide you with a fully functioning recovery partition (Push-Button-Recovery) just like the machines that ship with Windows 10 do... This is exactly how OEMs build PCs for Windows 10 (I myself am a system engineer that designs these types of deployments, I'm just not working for Lenovo Smiley Wink) and is MUCH better than the upgrade method... Anyway it will guarantee everything is setup correctly, giving you the same results I have now, so if there is anyone that wants it please let me know via PM.

Take care,

Jason

JimSnipes
What's DOS?
Views: 180
Message 7 of 7

Jason, I would like to be able to put my helix back to a fresh windows 10 install

Thanks,

Jim

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors