Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeriba
Token Ring
Views: 947
Message 1 of 19

Helix 2nd G: ThinkPad Pro keyboard dead after resume

Waiting until the tablet (while being attached to the Pro keyboard) enters standby and resuming it by pressing the power button, the keyboard remains dead.

Workarounds:

- Detach the tablet from and re-attach it to the keyboard or

- Reboot

BIOS: 1.72

Is this a known issue?

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 916
Message 2 of 19

Re: Helix 2nd G: ThinkPad Pro keyboard dead after resume

AFAIK, the pro keyboard with the old firmware (below 1.05) will have this problem. My problem got solved after upgrading to 1.09. You can check your current keyboard firmware version by entering BIOS->Main->MPU version. But before you upgrade your firmware, could you share your docked standby battery drain speed with me? It can be obtained by executing "powercfg sleepstudy" in the command prompt

jeriba
Token Ring
Views: 907
Message 3 of 19

Thanks a lot!

MPU FW is N17MT19W (1.04).

From the sleep study, I can see that the dock battery still has its full capacity (102%). Where to explicitly find the drain speed of this battery in the report? Drains seem to be aggregated across both batteries (e.g in the "connected standby transitions" chart).

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 901
Message 4 of 19

Because I found the the battery drain is very severe when the tablet is docked. If you can check your sleepstudy report, in the "change rate" it shows the battery draining speed. My tablet alone got about 200+ mW per hour, but when docked it is close to 1000+ mW per hour which is annoying. Also, my keyboard battery capacity reduced to 90% after the first charge! I don't know if it is due to their design flaw. this keyboard turns out to be very problematic

jeriba
Token Ring
Views: 896
Message 5 of 19

Confirmed.

Seeing values between 600mW and up to 1.097mW, i.e.

17:56:56  | 19,688 mWh  | 32% of battery  | 1,097 mW  |  Drain

Although I´m not sure whether I understand these values correctly. Nearly 18 hours and just 32% of battery?

I have been brave and updated both the main (1.83) and the keyboard (1.09) firmware (which explicitly mentions to fix the dead after resume issue, what it did). The battery drain values are the same for both versions.

jeriba
Token Ring
Views: 893
Message 6 of 19

... forgot to mention: Strangely enough, the Lenovo system update tool not even mentioned that updated BIOS versions were available. I believed that was what such tools were made for?

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 887
Message 7 of 19

There is a delay between the update rolled out on the support website and being pushed to the lenovo update. Since 1.83 is pretty new, if you use the update software, you might get notified after 2 months or so. I guess this is to leave a time window for Lenovo to to confirm the new updates are stable enough

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 886
Message 8 of 19

Seems to be the same as mine. If the keyboard dock battery is used up, the battery drain is around 500mW per hour, or it is around 900mW per hour during the connected standby. I personally think 18hours 32% battery is considered as drain because typical connected standby should consume about 1% per hour (my tablet consumes 6% for 8 hours sleep, I think this is considered normal)

And unfortunately, 1.09 doesn't help with the battery drain when docked

jeriba
Token Ring
Views: 867
Message 9 of 19

I saw that customer opinions share this experience. In theory, the official (Lenovo) best case calculation of battery lifetime to me seems reasonable: Primary 35 Wh for up to 8 hours plus secondary 25 Wh for an additional up to 4 hours. This indicates that the pro keyboard by itself consumes a certain amount of energy.

But with my little practical experience I can´t imagine that you will ever get close to 12 hours lifetime or 100 hours standby.

I now have disable connected standby on battery to see whether this extends standby.

Do you know whether a pro keyboard draining issue been reported to Lenovo?

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 854
Message 10 of 19

I saw someone complaining keyboard drain issue several months before, not sure if that can be considered as "reported"

BTW, how do you disable connected standby? I really want to use the old S3 sleep but if I set the CsEnabled in the registry back to 0, the machine cannot be woken up after sleep.

Top Kudoed Authors