Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RV824
Punch Card
Views: 2,565
Message 11 of 49

Re: Helix - Digital Pen Pressure Sensitivity issue

Of course, you've been so helpful with telling us about your experience.  I have an order that will ship by next week.  

Have you decided if you will wait out a solution, or are you going to return it?

I'm guessing the Microsoft driver will be the fix for all of the windows 8 tablets.  If it ever really comes out.

Sonsurion
Paper Tape
Views: 2,464
Message 12 of 49

Yes, I hate to say it, but the lack of full support for professional graphics applications makes having a wacom digitizer almost a mute point. I'd been waiting to pick a Helix up for some time as it seemed the perfect compliment to my life as a graphics professional, but not having pressure sensitivity is a deal breaker. I guess I'll have to stick to using a Mac+external tablet. Probably a Yiyniova 19. So close, PC manufacturers, so close. :/
tghyatt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,418
Message 13 of 49

It's interesting Lenovo's take on this. This is from our rep who talked to Lenovo folks and they had this as a response to my question about pressure sensitivity in graphis applications:

"I did get your email about the person who has a Helix and is not happy with it – I asked brand folks for their thoughts.  It looks like he as trying to use it to replace a high end digital sketching device – I do not think they are designed to do the same thing and if digital drawing/sketching is top of his list for the box the Helix would probably not be a good replacement for his current hardware. "

My "current hardware" is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is a great little tablet and I don;t have anyhting bad to say about it. But I was looking to move up in processing power and resolution and to have access to industry standard applications that don;t run on the Andriod platform. It seems crazy to have pressure sensitivity on standard Windows applications be a deal breaker for Lenovo, especially since Samsug has solved it on their comparable convertible tablet. 

tghyatt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,393
Message 14 of 49

Here is an interesting discussion on the Photshop fourm about the issues with Windows 8 and pressure sensitivy for graphics applications

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/microsoft_surface_pro_wacom_pen

RV824
Punch Card
Views: 2,379
Message 15 of 49

Wow, that's a terrible response from Lenovo.  I hope that's not the company line on the issue.  I have to believe that Lenovo was well aware of the problem, and is choosing to respond this way to avoid the type of backlash the Surface Pro is getting.

I am wondering if Microsoft's driver for Wintab support (when it comes out) will work for the Helix also?  Because it does not sound like Lenovo is going to fix the problem.

EdgeZephyr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,352
Message 16 of 49

"I am wondering if Microsoft's driver for Wintab support (when it comes out) will work for the Helix also? Because it does not sound like Lenovo is going to fix the problem."
1.) It's looking more and more like MS' fix will be for Photoshop specifically, rather than WinTab. =(
2.) Even if it were a WinTab fix, this wouldn't address apps that *don't* use WinTab (Sketchbook Pro, ArtRage i believe, among others) on the Helix.

I have to say, the amount of ignorance in that Lenovo response is freaking astounding. Way to completely miss the problem + point of the issue. Unless they *quickly* change their tune, I think I'm just going to go with a Surface Pro afterall. =\

kagekitsune
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,327
Message 17 of 49

it makes me wonder how Samsung was able to pull it off with their s-pen technology and are on windows 8, ive seen users use other wacom pens with the Ativ 700t with pen pressure on PS, SBP and Sai. whats so hard that a company cant make a seamingly simple fix be so complicated.

tghyatt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,303
Message 18 of 49

Yes. I agree. I just think Samsung was more in tune with the overall user experience and knew that this would be important. Also, they had a real commitment to pen inptu with the Galaxy Note models so perhaps they reasoned (rightly) that users expected that this feature of their 700t and 500t would work as expected.  

RV824
Punch Card
Views: 2,173
Message 19 of 49

QUOTE=czm2000;324114] They also said they are working on updated drivers to work on all programs, i.e. PhotoShop but said they can't commit to them being ready by the ship date so if that was a requirement, they recommended waiting until those drivers are released.

A poster named czm2000 posted this over at the tablet pc preveiw forums.  Hopefully this means that Lenovo is aware of the issue and is working on the driver.

robusto
What's DOS?
Views: 2,053
Message 20 of 49

Samsung, Lenovo, and other OEMs have nothing to do with this problem. These applications will have the same issues in Windows 8 no matter who made your tablet. This problem is entirely software based between Microsoft, Adobe, and possibly Wacom and hopefully will be resolved in time.

I've been following multiple threads about this exact issue. Some googling and you'll find several threads like this one:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro-surfusingpro/surface-pro-pen-pressure-sensi...  People have been talking about this since the Surface Pro shipped. No Win8 tablet pen pressure works perfectly with Adobe's products yet.

The short answer is that Microsoft shipped Windows 8 with a new in-house API and driver for pen input and their applications, but the Wacom tablet PC drivers available simply don't offer support for these new devices/features. 

The official word from Microsoft is that they're working on it. I'm not clear on whether or not they're working on it with Wacom's help, but there is speculation that this has something to do with Wacom releasing they're own tablet this summer. 

For me, this is a Windows 8 dealbreaker. Perhaps we'll see something when 8.1 releases.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors