Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 11 of 29 (3,744 Views)

Re: Helix End/Insert keys swapped

It's as kmcrober explains above.... Yes, you can get the End/Insert key to be End by default by toggling the F-lock, but then you lose the function keys. Mark, is this  a simple fix in the BIOS (and can you help us get it)? It's certainly needed because the "expected operation" makes no sense!

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Thanks Lerun!

Bloggs, kmcrober,

Does this change restore expected operation on your systems too?

Mark

Punch Card
Message 12 of 29 (3,680 Views)

TEMPORARY SOLUTION:

Another poster somewhere in the forum suggested a free program called "KeyTweak". I used it to solve this problem; it works great.

KeyTweak predates WIndows 8, but it works fine. It hacks the registry for you. You'll want to map the key code 57423 to Insert, and 57426 to End. Use the "Half Teach Mode".

Highlighted
Punch Card
Message 13 of 29 (3,649 Views)

[ Edited ]

For those who prefer editing the registry directly rather than installing software, here's the direct registry tweak. This assumes you don't already have the Scancode Map entry (which you may if you are re-mapping other keys but shouldn't have for a default Helix installation)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,52,e0,4f,e0,4f,e0,52,e0,00,00,00,00

Punch Card
Message 14 of 29 (3,593 Views)

Thanks a lot for these solutions to this strange problem.

I was quite happy with my new keyboard. Everything to my wishes ... until I discovered that my external keyboard linked to the Helix has now swapped keys too.

So I have begun tampering with Lenovo Hotkey ...

Serial Port
Message 15 of 29 (3,499 Views)

Mark,

Thank you for your follow up advice and helping to resolve this annoying issue.  It didn't take me long to find out something was very wrong.  The Insert key can be a nightmare to novice users and it's not a thrill to those of us who may be knowledgeable but spend a lot of time typing.

I'm glad I've waited before publishing my "Unboxing My Helix" article. Now I can include details about how great the support has been.

I still have a few problems but I will go through the forum looking for answers before I panic.

Thanks,
Bill Pytlovany
Secure with WinPatrol 28.1.

Bill Pytlovany
BillP Studios
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
Paper Tape
Message 16 of 29 (3,431 Views)

I wholeheartedly agree that this needs a fix.  If I want all of the "standard" keys for the top row of the keyboard (F1-F12, + Home, End), it's just not possible with the Helix.  Give us a simple settings change through the control pane or one of the Lenovo apps.  A bios patch or a registry hack is not the kind of workaround I expect when I pay this kind of price for a name brand computer.

Fanfold Paper
Message 17 of 29 (3,409 Views)

It looks as though this thread has been marked as complete..  If so, I don't think people feel that its complete, can we get this changed?

Thanks,

Steven | Business Analyst
E.S. Williams and Associates Inc.
Punch Card
Message 18 of 29 (3,334 Views)

I need function keys with home/end default as well! Insert is mostly useless
Punch Card
Message 19 of 29 (3,182 Views)

mdovey wrote:

For those who prefer editing the registry directly rather than installing software, here's the direct registry tweak. This assumes you don't already have the Scancode Map entry (which you may if you are re-mapping other keys but shouldn't have for a default Helix installation)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,52,e0,4f,e0,4f,e0,52,e0,00,00,00,00

FYI you do have to reboot for this change to take affect 

Token Ring
Message 20 of 29 (3,140 Views)

[ Edited ]

I must say I really don't understand this problem or rather why it is there in the first place. 

F1-F1, Home, End should be the standard behaviour as on any standard keyboard. Why switching the "special Lenovo shortcut keys" to standard F1-F12 causes Insert to become the default key is beyond me.

I mean F1-F12, Home and End are used much more often than the shortcut and Insert keys. To be honest I practically never use the Insert key, but End is a basic function for text editing.

If at least the Fn key was somewhere close to the End key, but using both hands to move to the end of the line is totally absurd and counter productive.

Lenovo - please provide the possibility to use the keyboard as it should be used. I don't understand why the Fn and Ctrl keys are physically swapped (I know you can change the behaviour in BIOS), having in mind that Ctrl is used all the time and Fn maybe a couple of times a day, but why the same strange thing is done with the End key is really totally confusing.

Software swapping Ins and End is not really a solution, since probably most users use an external screen&keyboard most of the time. Working on a 12'' FHD screen isn't something you'd like to do all day.