Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aRandomITGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,135
Message 1 of 25

Helix Keyboard Dock does not sleep

The helix keyboard dock does not stop consuming power when the computer is put to sleep. While it is unrealistic to expect the battery life to remain at the same % overnight, but to have a 50% loss in battery power to the keyboard dock is not acceptable. Sleep mode does put the tablet into a power saving mode, but the keyboard dock does not sleep. Is there a fix for this somewhere and I am missing it? All of the power saving apps and settings only seem to apply to the tablet itself. 

curriewurrie
What's DOS?
Views: 1,061
Message 2 of 25

Re: Helix Keyboard Dock does not sleep

I have exact the same problem, Helix 2nd Gen.

I even noticed that the keyboard Backlight stays on all the time???

Even after latest Keyboard firmware problem persists.

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 1,047
Message 3 of 25

Have you checked the sleepstudy report? I suspect the computer didn't enter the proper standby state, because my keyboard dock will typically drain at most 15% battery overnight.
aRandomITGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,043
Message 4 of 25

If that is the case, then none of the helixes are going to sleep correctly. Normal sleep does not turn off the keyboard. It was draining just as fast as if it were on.

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 1,036
Message 5 of 25

I think 15% is a fair game though. The connected standby typically draw the tablet battery 1% for an hour (typical 7-hour sleep drain 6%~8%). Since the keyboard battery is smaller and has more extra peripheral consumptions, I think this drain is reasonable. At least during normal usage, the keyboard battery drain speed is twice as fast as the main battery.

aRandomITGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,030
Message 6 of 25

The keyboard is draining about 6-8% an hour regardless if you put the tablet portion to sleep. The keyboard is not sleeping. In fact, if you go to the power settings via powershell, the keyboard actually doesn't even have sleep settings you can modify unless there is a setting I overlooked.

curriewurrie
What's DOS?
Views: 1,026
Message 7 of 25

I'm digging in to this but still was not able to track the problem.

I noticed in de sleepstudy report that the USB xHCI device uses a lot of battery...

I also noticed that turning off Connected Standby via Registry edit seems to solve this, the computer then goes into stanby in a normal state, slowly blinking Thinklight (wich is nomal in standby) and the keyboard powers of...BUT it seems not possible to turn on the device again... power button does not respond anymore in that case...

Please Lenovo, clear this out!

xRender
Punch Card
Views: 1,018
Message 8 of 25

For me, the way to solve xHCI device battery drain is to reboot the computer (the sadly truth).

It seems that the xHCI battery drain will happen only if I plug some devices into the keyboard dock ports (say, DP display or a usb flashdrive). During the normal use, I seldom see xHCI issue. Also, some mentioned that xHCI battery drain is due to a constant wake request from some USB device so that the usb bus cannot enter sleep state. Maybe there are some dangling USB devices?

Also, I've searched many support forums before: for a device that supports connected standby, it seems there is no way to disable the CS to turn to a normal sleep mode. I guess it is an OS issue. 

paalkr
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 9 of 25

Hi

I have the exact same behaviour under windows 10 in my Helix 2 (20CG001BMN), extremely annoying. If the keyboard is the culprit, will the tablet part enter proper Modern Sleep (aka connected deep sleep) if disconnected from the keyboard? And will the keyboard continue to discharged (be powered on) if disconnected from the tablet?

Regards,

PK

erapade
Paper Tape
Views: 790
Message 10 of 25

I have the same problem with my Helix II (20CHX18Q06) and windows 10.

Checking sleepstudy, the unit has an active time of 1% with no keyboard attached, but with the keyboard attached, the active time is 96%-99%. I.E. Connected Stand-By mode does not work with the keyboard.

Lenovo: Firmware, Driver, Configuration... What can we do to get this right

Running powercfg /energy, I can see this when the keyboard is attached:

USB Suspend:USB Device not entering Selective Suspend

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB deice is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

Device Name: USB Composite Device

Host Controller ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CB1

Host Controller Location: PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0

Device ID: USB\VID_0BDA&PID_4000

Port Path: 3,3

The same for:

Generic USB Hub

PCI\VEN:8086&DEV_9CB1

PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0

USB\VID_2109&PID_2811

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals