Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
null4end
Fanfold Paper
Views: 803
Message 1 of 10

Helix - Reduced battery life after 8.1

I know the battery life shown in the system tray is just an estimate, but mine has been roughly reduced by 1/3 since I updated to Windows 8.1. I have had 8.1 installed for about a week so it should have had plenty of cycles to calibrate.

Anyone else seeing the same?

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 777
Message 2 of 10

Re: Helix - Reduced battery life after 8.1

What is the power plan?

What Lenovo software dependency package is installed? Have you updated all the Lenovo resources (firmware, BIOS, drivers, software, etc)?

Also, 1/3 of what? What is a typical battery life before Windows 8.1 and what is the battery life now?

Helix: 3697 CTO.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
null4end
Fanfold Paper
Views: 733
Message 3 of 10

My Power Plan is Balanced (same as on Win8) and I have installed the latest drivers/bios/software from Lenovo's System Update.

BIOS: 1.16.1.19

Dependency: 1.2.5.8

With Win8, the battery meter typically showed around 7.5 hours of battery life when I unplugged and started using the laptop. With Win8.1 I typically see around around 4.5 hours.

It is hard to judge what my real battery life is because my usage involves a lot of suspend and resumes throughout the day when I am traveling.

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 706
Message 4 of 10

It may be related to power plan, but there could be something else as well.

My Helix is updated to the latest and using Win 8.1 from Technet. I typically see less than 4 hours for any plan other than power saver or energy saver. I've also edited those two a little more, as there wasn't much difference. With Power Saver more devices idle; with Energy Saver I reduce cosmetic (screen brightness, etc.), but yield anywhere between 7-8 hours with either.

Oh, I'm also using TPFan control to manage fan spin up intervals with the .ini file. I think the BIOS controlled fans are much too aggressive and I keep the device well under 60°C. This may conserve power a little, but not 3 hours.

Have you checked event logs for any software/device/driver conflicts or issues? Is there any device in Device Manager not properly installed (yellow exclamation mark)? Have you noticed any devices prematurely waking the suspended states?

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
lerun
Token Ring
Views: 694
Message 5 of 10

Mine is also showing 4-5hours (fully charged) using Energy Saver plan. Think I rember it stating I usually had 6++ before the upgrade to 8.1.

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 682
Message 6 of 10

Helix_battTi_20131107.JPG

null4end
Fanfold Paper
Views: 672
Message 7 of 10

What does it show if you switch to Balanced? I will try powersaver today.
lerun
Token Ring
Views: 666
Message 8 of 10

This is what I see:

PowerSettings.png

Just moments later it changed its mind:

PowerSave02.png

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 645
Message 9 of 10

I have noticed that the display recalculates depending on quite a number of things.

I wouldn't even pretend to know the formula, but I also wouldn't put much confidence in the accuracy of the "calculation".

null4end
Fanfold Paper
Views: 568
Message 10 of 10

The calculation method seems to have changed a bit since 8.0. I do see something similar to my old measurements (~7.5hrs) when I use Power Saver.

The interesting thing is that I don't think I am seeing any actual reduction in battery life no matter what plan I use. It is just some wonkyness with the remaining time reporting.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors