cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mk23
Not applicable
Views: 498
Message 1 of 2

Helix (Type 20CG, 20CH) Laptop (ThinkPad) - system interrupts high cpu usage, after BIOS update

Lenovo system update offered me today to install a critical update - ThinkPad BIOS UPDATE US - 8.1/10 [64], version 1.98.1.66.

After the installation and windows restart, I have noticed that the system performance has gone down drastically. Process list inspection showed 'System interrupts' using 25% of the CPU, which basicaly means that a single thread is utilizing 100% of 1 logical processor.

I've inspected the system log, and 1 error stood out: 'BcmNfcIc driver has failed initializing NFC device.' System log was flooded with these messages.

First event was logged after the windows was restarted (after the bios update).

I ran the Lenovo System update and installed the offered Broadcom NFC Driver [64] 1.3.0.190. It didn't help to resolve the issue with the NFC device initialization and consenquently CPU usage.

I went to the device manager, and disabled 'NFC SMBus Device' under the system devices. CPU usage went down to 0%.

Now the question is, did my NFC device actually fail, or the new BIOS update introduced this issue?

Highlighted
mk23
Not applicable
Views: 451
Message 2 of 2

Re: Helix (Type 20CG, 20CH) Laptop (ThinkPad) - system interrupts high cpu usage, after BIOS update

The issue (high cpu usage because of system interrupts) reappeared after some time without any kind of errors in the system log.

I enabled the 'NFC SMBus Device', just to see how the system would behave, and at that point, CPU usage went down to normal. No errors in the event log... It seems like the NFC device was not working for some time, and than it started to work again...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors