Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karljian
Fanfold Paper
Views: 524
Message 1 of 14

Helix_battery drains when shut down!

Hi,

My Helix battery drains even when it is completely shut down (without AC plugged in). In one night it loses 10% of power. I have updated the Bios or anything. I don't remember when this problem began. Is it because of Windows 8.1? Help!!! Can I ask for a replacement for that?

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 514
Message 2 of 14

Re: Helix_battery drains when shut down!

@karljian wrote:

Hi,

I have updated the Bios or anything. 

Could you clarify?

What BIOS is currently installed? 

Have you changed any of the Power settings in BIOS?

What is the current power settings for Windows?

Helix: 3697 CTO.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
karljian
Fanfold Paper
Views: 509
Message 3 of 14

Thank you for replying. I use Lenovo's updater to update. The bios version is probably 1.16: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/gfuj06us.txt

The powerplan I use is Energy Saver.

I didn't change power plan in Bios. I don't know how to do that.

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 506
Message 4 of 14

On Energy Saver, what is the time to turn off display and computer? Have any other (advanced) settings changed?

Could you try changing the plan from energy saver to power saver and then reboot? Afterwards, check if the issue still occurs after sleep state.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
karljian
Fanfold Paper
Views: 499
Message 5 of 14

Thanks, I'll try. But does the power plan really matter after my laptop is turned off? I don't know why it uses power so fast when turned off

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 497
Message 6 of 14

Either the plan is not putting all components in a sleep state or there is another device/software causing the device to use power or wake.

Changing the plan will eliminate one possibility. Leaving the remainder of troubleshooting to isolating device/driver messages in Event Logs.

karljian
Fanfold Paper
Views: 484
Message 7 of 14

Thanks. I looked at the event log and found this warning:

"The previous system shutdown at 12:33:02 AM on ‎11/‎6/‎2013 was unexpected."

I shut down the laptop yesterday around that time. Why does it become unexpected? Following the warning, there comes this critical message:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Both messages were sent this morning when I started my laptop.

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 481
Message 8 of 14

That means the system is not being shut down properly; either directly (loss of power, forced shutdown) or indirectly (hardware failure, conflict or bug with a driver, firmware, or BIOS).

If you powered down the system then it would not be unexpected, so that notification did not likely occur after you manually shut down.

Have you changed what the power button does?

karljian
Fanfold Paper
Views: 472
Message 9 of 14

I don't think so. Don't know how to do that. I had this type of warning on another Helix. For that one, I usually put it to sleep when not using it. During the sleep, I can see the same warning: unexpected shutdown, then reboot. If that happens, when I lift the lid, all apps/programs that were opened are closed. I contacted a Lenovo technician for this issue, but he didn't know what the problem is. I think my two Helix have the same issue. It might be a common issue with all the Helix? or with Windows 8?

karljian
Fanfold Paper
Views: 471
Message 10 of 14

But for that one, I don't have the power-losing problem. Strange.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors