Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
neslot
Paper Tape
Views: 396
Message 11 of 16

Re: Helix can't boot to usb

You might try using UNetbootin to create the bootable USB stick.  I've been able to boot all of the Lenovo products in my office off any USB stick using that app to load the image to the stick, even the previous sticks that wouldn't boot before in my previous post.  If it doesn't work initially, try formatting the stick with FAT32 then use UNetbootin.

Crazy_IT_Guy
Paper Tape
Views: 392
Message 12 of 16

Thanks! Will give it a try and post back.
Crazy_IT_Guy
Paper Tape
Views: 386
Message 13 of 16

@neslot wrote:

You might try using UNetbootin to create the bootable USB stick.  I've been able to boot all of the Lenovo products in my office off any USB stick using that app to load the image to the stick, even the previous sticks that wouldn't boot before in my previous post.  If it doesn't work initially, try formatting the stick with FAT32 then use UNetbootin.

I tried UNetbootin and it didn't work on the Lenovo Helix tablet either.  But, just like with Rufus, it worked fine on the Lenovo T470 laptop. Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm convinced it it has something to do with the tablet and not the USB key or USB CD drive.  I have another Helix that I can test with to see how it acts unless someone comes up with a working solution.

neslot
Paper Tape
Views: 384
Message 14 of 16

Is there an image on the Helix already?  if so can it see the USB stick?  are you using the dock (base dock or keyboard)?   Where hte stick is working in the T series laptop, i would suspect a faulty USB port with the Helix.

Crazy_IT_Guy
Paper Tape
Views: 380
Message 15 of 16

There is an image on it, but I can't logon to it. Needed to reset the admin password to be able to login. I can't reimage either now because it won't boot. I tried 4 different brands of USB sticks and nothing. I even tried and SD card but nothing. I made sure Secure boot was disabled and set the BIOS to default settings. I tried both the USB port on the keyboard dock and the one on the side of the tablet. If I can't get this to work, will try PXE boot when I get hold of the adapter and will also look at my other tablet see if it works any longer. 

Thanks.

Crazy_IT_Guy
Paper Tape
Views: 355
Message 16 of 16

@Neslot:  OK, I found out a few things through all of this.  The Helix I have is a 2nd generation Helix and it only has UEFI capabilities.  The BIOS cannot accept any other bootable drive.  I have been using Rufus to create my bootable USB drives.  What I also found out is that the partition scheme has to be “MBR partition scheme for UEFI”.  Using that scheme, the flash drive now works for me to be able to boot to reimage the drive.  The Hiren’s CD is not compatible with this type of partition.  It’s not an EFI bootable ISO which keeps the CD from booting on it.

Rufus also alerts you to the fact that Hiren's is not a compatible ISO. 

I found another help from Reddit to use Veeam back and create a recovery tool. It might have worked but I have BitLocker on the drive.  Because of that, it says it can't find Windows.

Thanks for helping me figure it out.  Now I can reimage the tablet.  Yea!