Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lause
Punch Card
Views: 3,000
Message 1 of 16

Helix can't boot to usb

I've tried everything I have found both on google and here - nothing works!

Situation: Want to install Windows 10 Tech Preview on a prepared partition. Got the ISO from Microsoft, used Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool and Rufus to create bootable USB. Restarting (after I changed boot sequence tons of times), it just boots into the normal startup screen.

How to do??????????????

Lenovo Thinkpad Helix 36986CG, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,998
Message 2 of 16

Re: Helix can't boot to usb

Are you selecting a UEFI install when you use those tools to build your flash drive?

Is it formatted NTFS or FAT32.  Must be FAT32 to boot in UEFI mode.

IIRC Rufus has a UEFI build mode, but I just do it by hand.  Prep the flash drive with a single FAT32 partition (use DISKPART or similar tool), use 7zip (or similar) to extract the ISO _contents_ to the flash drive.  Boot it.

If that doesn't boot you may need to look at other things like trying a different flash drive brand.  Some of the brands I use won't boot out of the box, even though they seem to be in FAT32 format.  Using DISKPART (list disk, select disk, clean, create partition primary, format fs=fat32 quick, assign) should sort that issue.  BE CERTAIN you select your flash drive before doing a clean, create, or format!

Z.

[edit] forgot the "create partition primary"

[more edit] Truth check:  I just dowloaded the Win 10 64 bit English ISO, verified the SHA1 checksum, and followed my little instructions above. Team Group USB 3.0 16GB flash drive.  It boots on my Twist, even in secure boot mode.  Tested by putting the flash drive at the top of the boot order, and also tested by leaving the HDD at the top hitting F12 during reboot and selecting flash drive on the fly.  Both worked.  Sorry I don't have a Helix to test with.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Lause
Punch Card
Views: 2,976
Message 3 of 16

Tried all that (most of the times in ntfs, a lot of threads claim it has to be ntfs, but tried in fat32 as well), using the tools you mention. Chose UEFI install or both (in BIOS and in Rufus).

Once I had a slight difference in apperance of the boot screen: larger fonts (like Win7) and a blue Winows-Logo appeared on the screen for some seconds, after that it just went on to the normal start procedure.

There are no indications, what so ever, to indicate that the Helix even would consider from that flash drive. BTW it's a Verbatim StoreNGo 8 GB, so nothing fancy... Unfortunately my other usc sticks are only 4 GB, and my SD cards are useless. Tried with an external HDD, didn't work either.

I would think it shouldn't be any problem to boot from a usb device on a tablet/laptop without optical drive, but aparrently I'm getting wiser... And on the way there, I'm getting quite annoied...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,964
Message 4 of 16

Sorry it isn't working for you.  No idea what else to suggest other than setting BIOS to defaults.  You've not doubt already done that.

Regardless of what you've seen in other threads, if you want to boot in UEFI mode it must be FAT32.  If you want to boot in legacy mode (a Windows installer anyway) it must be NTFS and the partition must be set active.  For legacy booting you also have to install a boot loader in the flash drive.   DISKPART (and hopefully Rufus) do that for you.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Lause
Punch Card
Views: 2,956
Message 5 of 16

Just tried once more with your instructions as checklist. Nothing happened again. I'm beginning to suspect the usb drivers. Could it be some settings, eg. security or time they load? I'll try to look in to that, but if you have more ideas, whereas to look, I'll apprecieate it

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,954
Message 6 of 16

Have you tried using the live boot menu directly?  F12 on my machines, not sure about yours.

Z.

Lause
Punch Card
Views: 2,952
Message 7 of 16

Yup! :-)

Also tried to put the usb drive in the keyboard/dock, the tablet without dock and the USB 3.0 Dock. In fat32 and ntfs. On the brink to give up...

Lause
Punch Card
Views: 2,652
Message 8 of 16

Got the same problem, tried everything, the first many times with a Verbatim Store'N'Go, nothing happened, only booted in to Win8.1.
Trying a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32 GB, now the screen goes black, when booting - so some improvement is there. Suspect the Helix can't read from the Sandisk, so I'll try with NTFS instead of FAT32. But I don't dare to try without the Keyboard, as I don't know how to reset, when stuck at black screen.

Didn't work, nothing, not even the black screen. I give up...

neslot
Paper Tape
Views: 2,629
Message 9 of 16

@Lause wrote:

Got the same problem, tried everything, the first many times with a Verbatim Store'N'Go, nothing happened, only booted in to Win8.1.
Trying a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32 GB, now the screen goes black, when booting - so some improvement is there. Suspect the Helix can't read from the Sandisk, so I'll try with NTFS instead of FAT32. But I don't dare to try without the Keyboard, as I don't know how to reset, when stuck at black screen.

Didn't work, nothing, not even the black screen. I give up...

I'd suspect the software on the USB or the USB itself (as mentioned above).  If it's a USB 3.0 stick it won't work.

We have 8 Helix 2 in my environment and have booted them all from usb to install our corporate image.  I went through 3 different USB sticks before finding one that would boot successfully.  The current USB I'm using to image these tablets is a Verbatim Store n Go 4 GB.  Previously tried Kingston DataTraveler (4 and 8 gb) and an Axiom 4GB stick.  None of those 3 would boot with the Helix 2.

I've never tried creating the USB with Rufus.  I've always used diskpart.  One thing you might try also is using diskpart and Clean all instead of just Clean.  It's a more thurough wipe and may help, takes lots longer though.  4gb stick about 20 minutes for clean all.

Crazy_IT_Guy
Paper Tape
Views: 655
Message 10 of 16

@Lause Punch Card

Did you ever get your Helix to boot from a USB?  I'm having that issue and tried everythng I know as well.  USB devices I've tried work on new T460 and T470 with UEFI setups.  Don't know what else to try.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals