Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrchris
Paper Tape
Views: 25,059
Message 1 of 62

Helix keyboard stopped working

I got an early shipment of the Helix this week and this evening the keyboard dock appears to have died.
If I start the device as a tablet and then dock the screen goes off and the keyboard does not activate (green light on fn key).
I thought this might be power related, but after an hour on charge (connected to the dock) nothing.
Any ideas to trouble shoot or is this an RMA problem?
Folarino
Punch Card
Views: 24,842
Message 2 of 62

Re: Helix keyboard stopped working

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS034632

This touchpad driver update addresses your issue.

mrchris
Paper Tape
Views: 24,836
Message 3 of 62

Nope, sorry that doesn't help.

The entire base unit appears to be dead.

If I plug the tablet into the base unit and connect the power cable to the base unit for example I get - plugged in, not charging.

The keys are inactive and the light on the FN key does not illuminate.

I have charged the base unit for several hours to ensure it isn't a battery issue so I can only conclude that something has broken in the base unit itself.

I have submitted a support request via ESC but that system doesn't know about the Helix model numbers yet so I have no idea what will happen. I may try calling Lenovo tomorrow to see if ESC is the right way to a solution for this issue (hopefully I'll only have to return the base unit, but I suspect I'll be sending the whole thing back).

marcust77
Paper Tape
Views: 24,692
Message 4 of 62

I have the same problem. I have the Thinkpad Helix since a day and the keyboard dock just stopped working. Nobody at the Lenovo support hotline could help. Question is, does Lenovo just has to change the dock or do I have to send the whole Helix back?

This is an issue, because I migrated all my data from my former laptop to the new Helix.

Can the Lenovo support help?

Best

Marcus

mrchris
Paper Tape
Views: 24,680
Message 5 of 62

I raised a call with ESC - its a bit odd being sent to the IBM site to raise a Lenovo warranty call.

But anyway, once I got that filled in they called me the next day and sent an email with instructions on where to send the dock and roughly how long it would take to get fixed.

Thankfully they only require the dock, not the tablet section as well so the data I'd migrated is fine.

Dazzler
What's DOS?
Views: 24,666
Message 6 of 62

Think i've got the same issue - had my helix about a week and now when i dock the tablet the screen goes blank and the tablet reboots.

Will see if i can raise an ESC to get the dock replaced - is it a straight forward process?

mrchris
Paper Tape
Views: 24,650
Message 7 of 62

It was mildly confusing as the Helix wasn't (isn't?) in the system yet, so when it asks for model numbers I had to apply some logic to make sure I got the right thing.

But otherwise it was a very painless process.

minmin
Paper Tape
Views: 24,561
Message 8 of 62

My keyboard dock is dead too Smiley Sad it says 'Keyboard dock fan error' on startup, and none of the indicator lights are on. Battery #2 is not shown in the lenovo settings menu too.

I think this happened after an unfortunate mis-plugging of the ac adaptor into the mains (i.e I thought it was connected to mains when it wasn't, and the battery must've gone completely flat). No amount of plugging it into the mains now seems to charge the battery. 

Tried reinstalling the power manager driver, that did not help. Any other suggestions to try before i ring lenovo on monday?

Does everyone on this thread with the keyboard problem have a dead/undetected dock battery too?

marcust77
Paper Tape
Views: 24,528
Message 9 of 62

@minmin

I think we have absolutely the same issues. The keyboard dock does not charge the battery anymore and if you plug the helix tablet into the keyboard dock it wont turn on. Thats why the keyboard dock fan error message etc. I reinstalled the Windows 8 and will send it to Lenovo on Monday. I think it is a hardware problem and not caused by the software.

One thing what I'm also wondering is, when the keyboard dock worked, the CPU was running even in battery mode and on Energysaver setting on 2.5GHz. I had my Task Manager open all the time and that also seemed not normal for me. Maybe it is a problem of the Helix and the dock.

dblattner
Paper Tape
Views: 24,458
Message 10 of 62

Same for me. I've used my helix only for a couple of hours.

Now I'm getting the "fan error" and the docks keyboard isn't working anymore. Also no charging through the Keyboard docking.

It's a mess, though I already paid for the lenovo priority support incl. NBD,  I'm now using the forum cause the ordered warranty is not in stock till May 16th and will be delivered by end of the week.

Some help would be great - Thanks!

There is another thread which describes almost the same problem:

Helix Keyboard Docking Issue

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors