Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmdearras
Token Ring
Views: 1,112
Message 1 of 9

Helix life cycle

I am becoming concerned that the Helix will have a short lifecycle.   It has been plagued with production issues, delaying release.  And now with the cancelation of the LTE models, at least until August, it may be the best use of Lenovo resources to just drop this model and move on.

schmak01
Punch Card
Views: 1,002
Message 2 of 9

Re: Helix life cycle

Then don't buy one.  I have the i7 8GB and I love it.  

jmdearras
Token Ring
Views: 957
Message 3 of 9

Not a useful answer.  I am typing this on a Helix.  As an IT Admin, life cycle support is a serious issue buying laptops.

terencechan
Punch Card
Views: 937
Message 4 of 9

Well, Helix is not classified as traditional ThinkPad. It is not surprising that it has short life cycle. Instead, it is just for consumers to catch up with the trend and for Lenovo to compete with other Tablet Producers like Samsung, Sony, etc. In my opinion, if you need to use tablet PCs, you should choose tradition x series tablet for your company.

Regards,
Terence Chan
X230 Tablet, X220, W530, ThinkPad Tablet 2, X1 Carbon Touch
jmdearras
Token Ring
Views: 929
Message 5 of 9

I would prefer knowledgeable responses.  The Helix is promoted as a business-class device.

schmak01
Punch Card
Views: 810
Message 6 of 9

Sorry was having a bad day.  With the price point of these and the niche market, deploying in masse wouldn't be very cost effective, more so with Haswell coming down soon which will provide more bang for less power.

I don't see the the production issues being that much of a hinderance to the life cycle other than what I had stated above. Unless they clue us in as to what exactly the manufacturing delays were due to.  Could have just been politics with OEM's and or subcontractors. 

Then there is the whole WWAN debacle that has shelved the Gobi line.  

I'm not the desktop purchaser in my company, but I wouldn't see anyone outside the C levels or high VP's even requesting one more or less us filling any requests.   Right now I feel its a rather expensive but fun toy for me, and I can utilize it to its max potential, but someone outside the IT shop might have issue with heat, handwriting recognition and WIndows 8 navigation.  This is a first iteration product, so I would venture that if they continue this line forward they would have a better life cycle.  

FWIW its a sturdy tablet, but I have my concerns with the back flap and docking guides on the keyboard breaking easily and the CPU heating up easily.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but your power users. 

hplcman
What's DOS?
Views: 579
Message 7 of 9

Would you or others know when and where to purchase either the Ericsson C5621 TFF or Gobi-4K TFF cards? I purchased my Helix with the knowledge that I could communicate without WIFI.
jmdearras
Token Ring
Views: 576
Message 8 of 9

At this point, I would not assume you can plug a WWAN card in and expect it to just work.  I do not know the issues, but it might be a bad assumption the needed antennas are pre-installed, for instance.

hplcman
What's DOS?
Views: 566
Message 9 of 9

Really I'm just looking to find a source other than from Sweden directly in the case of the Ericsson.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors