Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffreytz
Punch Card
Views: 829
Message 1 of 5

Helix repair "on hold for parts" for two weeks now

So two days after upgrading to Windows 8.1 the SSD in my Helix died (or at least access to it died, the system wouldn't boot, said there was no drive available, etc.). So I called support, they sent a box out, I shipped it to them, and they said it would come back in 6-10 days. 

Instead, every 4 days I get an email saying "Hold for Parts - Service call is on hold until parts arrive." - the last email was on 10/31. No indication what part(s) are on hold, and seemingly no way on the IBM EasyServ information site to find out any more information (i.e. ETA on receiving the backordered parts, etc.). 

Originally I was worried I'd get back a refurbished unit; now I'd gladly take that as the wait is becoming intolerable. I mean, I've had to go back to using an iPad 3! Seriously, I didn't realize how much I was enjoying the combo of the Helix and Windows 8 until I went back to my old Dell XPS 13 laptop and iPad. 

I am concerned however that the SSD (or whatever part failed) died after only 5 months (and right after the Win 8.1 upgrade - coincidence?).  Curious what the hardware failure rate overall for the Helix is (you see a lot of stuff on the message boards but that's usually not representative of the entire population of units).

But more importantly, I really want to know when I'm getting my Helix back! Any suggestions on how I can get more information or do I just have to wait it out?

JT
Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 36984SU
Guru
Views: 801
Message 2 of 5

Re: Helix repair "on hold for parts" for two weeks now

AFAIK, after 7 business days you can call and have your case escalated to the Supervisor. That usually helps.

As for SSDs, Lenovo is not their manufacturer and yes, one in many will fail without warning...not a pleasant experience.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
yipcw
Token Ring
Views: 760
Message 3 of 5

My SSD occasionally get the infamous BIOS 2100 HDD not found error. (Other threads people said they got replacement SSD and same problem) If you let the battery drains a bit, it comes back and boot.

After I upgraded to windows 8.1, 2100 error again. Odd thing is if I run the BIOS memory diagnostic and reboot, the crucial SSD will be listed in boot list, and no 2100 POST error. Except it still won't boot. If I power cycle, the drive disappeared again.

I sent it over to our tech shop, they said it won't even power on now. So they sent it to easyserv last week.

I suspect it is not the SSD, but system board failure.

Crucial support site for C400 SSD mention a rare timing error prevent boot they found in factory testing that they fix in latest firmware also. It could be something similar but at motherboard level.
jeffreytz
Punch Card
Views: 741
Message 4 of 5

Thanks, yes initially I got the 2100 error and I thought I got around it by reordering the boot order of the devices, but then after a day it booted up and said "preparing auto repair" and would just sit there for every (I left it alone for 24 hours the first time). No matter what I did it wouldn't/couldn't get past that (but it wasn't the 2100 HD not found error). 

A system board failure/replacement would actually be better, because then I won't have to restore the SSD from my Windows Home Server backup, but it really doesn't matter either way as long as it's actually fixed. 

Haven't heard anything since 10/31 so will probably place a call today and see if I can get more detail.

Thanks!

JT
jeffreytz
Punch Card
Views: 709
Message 5 of 5

So yesterday my status changed to "repair in progress" and then this afternoon my repaired Helix arrived at the office! According to the documentation supplied it was indeed the SSD that was replaced (reason: "bad sectors").  We'll see how this one holds up. Just glad to have it back Smiley Happy

JT

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors