Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duytrader
Paper Tape
Views: 4,141
Message 1 of 15

Helix shuts down while in sleep mode

Using windows 8.  Every time I shut the lid of my computer it goes into sleep mode. This is good, but after a while in sleep mode it either shuts down or does something that causes it to close all programs and require rebooting. How do i stop this from happening and just let it go in sleep mode forever?

glozbuhl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,060
Message 2 of 15

Re: Helix shuts down while in sleep mode

I have a very similar problem. If I shut the lid and leave it for a long time (say, overnight), the computer will not wake up when I open the lid the next morning. If I shut the lid and then open it back up wihtin a few minutes the comptuer wakes up normally.

After sleeping overnight, the computer does seem turn itself on when I open th lid, as evidenced by an audible fan noise and a red illuminated dot over the 'i' in the thinkpad logo, but the screen does not turn on. I double checked my power settings in Windows, and it is set to go to sleep when the lid is closed. The only way to get it going again is to hold down the power button until it turns off, and then power back on. Any ideas?

bdr
Punch Card
Views: 4,034
Message 3 of 15

I have similar issue.  It also does it when in tablet mode a little more often.  Press the sleep button at top of tablet and set down for the evening, if you press again the following morning, Helix will probably (but not always) go into full reboot.  This seems to be a real hit or miss issue.  Usually, the longer you wait before trying to wake up, the more likely that it will reboot.

Fortunately the Helix boots up so quick it is not that big of an issue but does get a little annoying.

jrmontg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,991
Message 4 of 15

Same issue here as well.  I do not dock at night, I just charge the tablet.  I turn on the tablet in the morning and it does a full boot instead of waking from sleep mode. It is too painful to call support so I am hoping for a update.  

fangyugg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,974
Message 5 of 15

It's intel's IRST function。When you press sleep, after some time(you can change the value in bios),it will save the data in memory into a special ssd partition to save power。

How to:

Restart the helix, when the lenovo trademark appeared,you touch the text under the "lenovo", enter the bios.

select config,power,you will see “intel rapid start tech.”,see the description on the right side. When you understand the tech you can change the value now.

you can disable the IRST,then when you press sleep in windows by close the lib or touch the power on the charm,it will sleep until the battery out of power. you can change the time just as 8 hours, so you will not power the helix from bios start  after a night .

maybe my english is poor ,just remember :bios->config->power->intel rapid start technology->disable.

哎,没文化害死人啊。

mike92
Punch Card
Views: 3,950
Message 6 of 15

To fix this issue, you can eiither disable intel rapid start (IRST) in the BIOS or disable hibernation in windows. I think the issue arises from the computer hibernating  after  15min (default)  time and then IRST kikcing in after 3 hours.

ynohtna
Punch Card
Views: 3,913
Message 7 of 15

Interesting, I've been observing something similar 2 weeks into my tablet.  I can't reliably leave applications open.  There's a brief power surge as you can here it and the fans spin for a split moment then it goes into this restart.

In Windows 7 on my x200t, Hibernation was awesome to save me on unexpected length of time away unplugged.

If I understood correctly, if I wanted to replicate the above behaviour in my Helix, I need to disable intel rapid start? (asks while trying it Smiley Happy)

glozbuhl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,904
Message 8 of 15

After I posted the message above, I disabled the featured in power settings that turns of the display after so many minutes. Besides one incident two nights ago, my system has been sleeping/waking perfectly.

jeffreytz
Punch Card
Views: 3,889
Message 9 of 15

Hi quick question: for rapid start to work, do I need to enable hiebernation? I'm using the "balanced" power plan, which sleeps after 10 minutes on battery and 30 minutes plugged in, but hybrid sleep is off as is hibernation.

JT
Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 36984SU
ynohtna
Punch Card
Views: 3,834
Message 10 of 15

Just wanted to update that since disabling the intel rapid start option in the bios, I'm happy with my long term sleep modes now as the machine is able to wake without issues anymore.

No real point to this feature as windows already supports hibernation while sleeping!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals