cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lovenovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,703
Message 1 of 3

Helix touch-screen not working anymore, properties now show 2-point touch instead of 10-point touch

IMG_20160818_032739 redacted.jpgIMG_20160818_032847 resized.jpgIMG_20160818_033710 resized.jpgIMG_20160818_035323 redacted.jpg

I am facing a rather unique problem with the Thinkpad Helix (2nd Gen). The thing is, we have two Helix laptops in our family. Sometime after the upgrade to Win 10, I faced significant problems with the touchpad - the point would stop moving and even disappear and even the trackpoint would not work at this point. But the touch display was (and still is) working flawlessly, so I simply shut down Windows and started again. Since this was not the ideal scenario, I had a chat with a Lenovo executive and with some friends, and after considering all the opinions, uninstalled the drivers for the touchpad and reinstalled them (with the automatic "search for drivers online" option. Problem solved! Although I am still facing a few minor issues (which I dont want to address right now) with this machine, it is now functioning well enough for normal daily use.
So, with the July 29 deadline for the free Win 10 upgrade looming, I decided it was better to upgrade and possibly regret rather than regret not installing. And, as expected, I faced the touchpad problems soon after the upgrade (which I was kinda prepared for, or so I thought). Armed with the solution which worked on the first Helix, I went about the uninstalling and reinstalling of the touchpad (and later some other) drivers. Sure enough, the touchpad problem went away. However, this has now resulted in the touch screen not responding to touch (of finger or pen). When I saw the "about" in settings, the display properties had changed to 2-Point touch screen from the 10-Point touch screen earlier (which I had seen on this device, and can still see in the properly working Helix). However, the thing thats scared me it that even 1-point touch (finger) isnt working.Since this problem occured, I have experienced issues with the keyboard as well (laptop doesnt respond to any key-press, and since touch isnt working, I have not choice except shut down via the power button). But this problem occurs one in 4 or 5 boot-ups, so its not the biggest problem right now. For the sake of details, I had booted into BIOS, but I can say with 99.99% confidence, I exited without saving any changes.
From the research I have done on the problem (and from the apparent data) , the issue seems to be that there are quite a few items missing in the Human Interface Devices section. I am attaching a photos of the "about" screen and the expanded HID section of device manager from the "non-touch" Helix and the "proper-touch" Helix, both. My obivous question is how do I install (reinstall??) these things. I can confidently say I did not uninstall anything under the HID section, but even if I accidently did, shouldnt the system detect and prompt for reinstallation?? Will a factory reset repair this problem. I dont want to be stuck with the same problem with a lot of updates to be reinstalled again, hence asking the question beforehand.Should I post photos of the BIOS as well?? Hope someone can help me with a solution.
Thanks in advance.

Lovenovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,669
Message 2 of 3

Re: Helix touch-screen not working anymore, properties now show 2-point touch instead of 10-point to

post deleted

Lovenovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,662
Message 3 of 3

Re: Helix touch-screen not working anymore, properties now show 2-point touch instead of 10-point to

Update:
I copied all my files on to a flash drive and just factory reset (to the system my PC came with option from "Settings").
The great news is that touch screen is working perfectly with fingers and the pen, and no problems with the touchpad either.
What I am uncertain about is going back up to Win 10. Win 8.1 is much better for a tablet-laptop hybrid, but then I'll miss some of the latest features on Windows. Also, can anyone tell me if I can even go back to Win 10?? When I had upgraded earlier (before July 29), my Helix's serial number and Win 8 product key would have be registered by Microsoft, right?? I have a Win 10 Pro ISO installation file available to me, but I dont want to do the installation and find MS asking for $200 before I can start using my Helix. I am also afraid that I wouldnt be go back to Win 8 in that case. I hope someone can provide me with a confirmation on this.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors