Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrantTedaldi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,743
Message 1 of 14

Hinge Failure and Screen Garbling...

Love the X60Tablet ot Death...  unfortunately, death is upon it.

The screen stopped functioning properly today...

When at a 90 Degree angle, stands upright... but if pushed to far it now falls over.

I've read this may be bearing related?

Ontop of thise the colors are now distorted, and if I turn the screen at certain angles the color either turns blue for a long period of time and blinks... or if I close the lid and flip the screen... all distortion becomes gone.  

This gives me the impression the screen connection cable inside is loosening.

I'd imagine this is a fairly common thing to happen, and while I've taken care of my machine-  I do rotate the screen a lot.

Please help me to identify exactly what may be wrong,  so that I may take it to a ThinkPad service(r) or at least let them know what parts will be necessariy in advance so I don't have to lose my computer for 5 days. 

Also if anyone knows the general cost of some fixes...  is it worth it,  or should I be looking to move to an X200t?

Thank you so much for any advice.
Greatly appreciated.

-G

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,741
Message 2 of 14

Re: Hinge Failure and Screen Garbling...

The hinge and the LCD cable is causing you these griefs. These technician should know exactly what it is wrong, since these sort of failure is common in old tablet pc. If you are competent enough, you can do the fix yourself by buying the parts and following the manual on replacement of these specific parts. But if it is a Lenovo depot i would imagine the fix will be quite expensive, something like maybe 30 to 40% cost of a X200t

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
GrantTedaldi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,739
Message 3 of 14

Thanks, I'm pretty handy-  but I really don't want to take this thing apart...

I know at one point I saw a link to the tech manual-  is there a certain one that's primo for the hinge? ...  and are these parts available for order from the general public?

Thanks for any advice.

-G

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,736
Message 4 of 14

You can order these parts from IBM parts (just google it) or buy it from places like ebay.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-66709

this is probably going to be lot cheaper too. The parts you need is all listed there. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
GrantTedaldi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,704
Message 5 of 14

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Thinkpad-X60-X61-42W2545-Tablet-Swivel-Hinge_W0QQitemZ270448570027QQcmdZView...

IBM Thinkpad X60 X61 42W2545 Tablet Swivel Hinge .

Are there no cables in the screen... just this hook up?  If so that part would be pretty easy.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer to this, I'm no expert...

AGoodSolution
802.11n
Views: 3,677
Message 6 of 14

The deciding factor between OEM parts and the secondary market like eBay depends most on how mission critical this tablet is to your life and how much frustration and disappointment you can tolerate if the variables of performaing a repair with parts of unknown origin provide justifiable cost savings.

Aside from repeating the obvious, it is necessary since too often people ignore the logic and opt for emotional decisions.

Regarding your consternation about fast tracking your repair at the service center,,,, just reading it I can tell you're dependent on this situation is becoming emotional but at least irrational because:

I'll help you idnetify exactly what is wrong since I'm sure I can find your clone somewhere here and their life has been a perfect mirror of yours and they live in the same size city and have the same hobbies as yours but everthing about them is spelled in reverse as if  your drivers licences and home address was being read in the bathroom mirror. They also have the same exact  tablet and we'll disassemble theirs to find out what is exactly wrong with yours.

Your  car, ...your bones and hopefully nothing else you own is diagnosed remotely by anonymous people or even people you know because that habit is a roadmap to perptuatul poverty.

1. The Lenovo Tech is going to open your deck, may even split the bezel and examine the LCD, ...how does an uniniated end user expect to help the tech based on your external only observations and somehow impress them telpahtically what they need to do ?   Obi Wan  coudl do that,,, but Obi Wan didn't have a Tablet and he made Luke do his typing for him.

2. The Lenovo Tech will finish your repair when they begin, your concern seems born of a vision of piles of thinkpads lying around and being multitasked over a period of days like trying to service a BMW in the middle of nowhere and they have to order parts that take 5 days to arrive.  The tech will have enough X60t parts on hand they could build you five from scratch and before lunch and this isnt' Doc Hollywood and the x60t ain't a porsche that needs parts from the other side of the Pacific.  So if it takes three days for them to split yours open to repair it, they'll be prepatred to finish it the same day and they'll liekly call you to authorize the cost or the repair or authorize extra unforeseen costs of the repair.

3. If you like that x60t and w/o any knowledge of how deep your wallet is, you an always buy a refurb or returned X60 from Lenovo's web site and if you're a curmedgeon that loves their x60 and hate the risk of new equipment, you can at least stay in the same faimly and buy its twin cousin for less than new and from Lenovo the way you'd buy a certified pre owned Lexus since the refurbs have warranties too. If you just want an X200 then buy an x200 but don't make this flat hinge part of the equation...... too many iPhones have been purchased for just  that reason and if you happen to be an iPhone owner and you bought it for style or just because your other phone broke than don't stop a wreceless behaviroral  trend and use your flat hinge as an excuse to introduce all new variables and obsolete some of your current accessories

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
GrantTedaldi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,652
Message 7 of 14

an interesting read-Re: Hinge Failure and Screen Garbling...

The post is an interesting read.

I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can about similar problems occuring in other machines before figuring out what to do.

I've called 4 "Lenovo Premium Partners" from the local area- and many of them seem baffled about time frames, or give me the 'we'll probably have to send it out' or order parts ... response. 

If they're not totally sure what they're doing, or have done a similar fix before... it's not likely I'd want to leave my computer with them.   

That's just why I've been investigating the likely culprit part.

Seeing as the problems seriousness changes with the physical rotation of the screen... that's why I imagine it may be that hinge.

I'm unaware if the ebay part is aftermarket-  seems weird someone would make an aftermarket piece for a specific computer line, but hey-  I'm still learning here.

AGoodSolution
802.11n
Views: 3,629
Message 8 of 14

Re: an interesting read-Re: Hinge Failure and Screen Garbling...

In a nutshell,  any quoted repair costs on this forum and elsewhere are likely to be contradicted by The single quote that matters and from Lenovo after they've fully diagnosed The issue. Any expectations that will be mismanged from The actual price are risky since it could compel you to make an impulse decision for that x200 that you just really want.

( I promised someone here to actively try to become succinct so my postings may seem terse despite opposite intentions.)

if you want an X200, just buy it for The merits and out of necessity, does any decision ever turn out The way we hoped when it was done out of necessity ??? Steve Jobs and Cingular has sold more iPhones because of this human defect and everyone on this forum knows at least one person that got married because of flawed / lack of analysis.

I'm going to proffer that your circumstances, make even a day with a dead or half dead LCD better than a day w/o it.

Real solutions, cheapest first and increasing expense:

1. The "Department Store Depot", think of a traditional brick and mortar retailer you despite enough to buy one of their laptops to use for five days but a laptop that you wouldnt mind owning if you had to keep it. Send in your X6, and when it arrives and is verified,  return The retail model for The refund and prepared to eat or fight The restocking fee. It is unethical to, isn't illegal until you try to steal parts out of The box or pieces from under The motherboard but it won't win you friends in church. Pay with a credit card preferably credit over debit since you can file a dispute to practically ensure avoiding any unforeseen costs The retrial may refuses to refund.

In case, your tablet is just dying and isn't worth fixing, decide whether or not to have The return it unprepared or leave it without them if you're really concerned about one laptop motherboard you threw away in The kitchen trash bag ruining The earths groundwater.

The Endear market of used thinkpad and parts is an active one and you can list those parts on Amazon if eBay or creating eBay listings is a pain.  Amazon lets anyone sell anything used they sell except cell phones and expensive time pieces and you just provide a text description while shoppers land at your item when shopping  through Amazon's inventory. A market priced battery can sell in hours, power bricks nearly as fast while The Lace's will grow moss before buyers find you because Amazon isn't The first place people think of when replacing an LCD.

- OR, buy a spare used thinkpad from Vim's certified web site, these are off lease cooperate leases and taken care by an IT department they way The Police dept motor pool takes care of The mayors limo. They arrive and seem brand new, you'll think it was lost in a time machine. Include warrantee and The same tech support team in Atlanta and The same overnight depot service.  You can get a used z with 1GB or ram and SATA HDD for $275 and at your door as soon as Wenedesday if you want.

The advantage, is you can remove your ex. drive and plop it into The z w/o blue screen or reinstall, you'll have to install some drivers and a SATA method we use is copy The drivers directories from The new gear and just point our rescued drive to The muddy vies directories can d it can Finnish in least than Minutes even with reboots. Sometimes, The entire device fictional may be available e with this type of guerrilla stile upgrade but those seem rare and you install The driver in The traditional manner if it happens.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
GrantTedaldi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,620
Message 9 of 14

If I wanted an x200 I'd go out and buy one.   I can't justify paying over $1500 more than this repair I would get right now for ...  the only notable change that I'd appreciate is the Stereo Speakers.  Everything else is just fine with the x60.

I won't send my x60 out for repair- guaranteed it will cost way too much.  If someone can't do it in-house on Long Island,  then to me-  the machine is unfixable based on the cost alone and will be replaced with another x60 and this one will turn into a Graphics Tablet.

Back to the original question-

My screen hinge is going weak and drooping at acute and obtuse angles.

The screen is distorted except in the closed with screen facing outward directon-

Anyone seen this before?

Sounds like a dud LCD cable attatched to a dud hinge.     Probably nothing major.

i looked at the tech documents.  I'm not comfortable enough to troubleshoot it.

AGoodSolution
802.11n
Views: 3,614
Message 10 of 14

...the speakers aren't exceptional, Thinkpads aren't renowned for sound and the x200's rate in the middle at best regarding fidelity and just dB output.

Goodluck

------------------
------------------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors