cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
photoresistor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,921
Message 1 of 41

How hot does your Helix get under heavy load?

I've had my Helix for a few days now and have finally got around to installing some software on it.  I have the i7 with 256gb SSD and 8GB RAM.. so far I've been very impressed with how 'snappy' it all runs and besides a few annoyances with the touchscreen/pen not working correctly 100% of the time am very happy with the system.

Anyways, I wanted to see how the Helix would run when pushed really hard so I had Solidworks running (3d modeling/CAD software) and Netflix going on on an external monitor.  The back of the Tablet became super hot--hot enough that you would definitely not want to touch it (let alone try to hold it) or have it on your lap.  I installed TP fan control and it read that the CPU got up to 86 degrees Celsius.  Granted this is not representative of normal operating conditions, but I'm concerned about how hot it got.  Has anyone else noticed their Helix's running really hot under heavy load? Is this normal?

dkNigs
Serial Port
Views: 4,849
Message 2 of 41

Re: How hot does your Helix get under heavy load?

Sim City on high settings gets mine up to 82°C. Not too promising for how it will handle summer.

____
Lenovo Helix i7 256gb... wish I bought a Surface Pro for better support...
Folarino
Punch Card
Views: 4,801
Message 3 of 41

Minesweeper got mine to the 70s. Definitely surprised by that.

photoresistor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,775
Message 4 of 41

Well, on the bright side of things, when I am using it as more of a 'power user' and pushing the system hard, I will not have need to hold it as it will be in laptop mode... when I use it as a tablet, I will be using it for less demanding tasks such as taking notes, browsing, watching netflix, etc.  I'm just more concerned with having the system be that hot for long periods of time and wondering if that might cause problems with the system down the road.

ryanpm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,727
Message 5 of 41

@photoresistor wrote:

Well, on the bright side of things, when I am using it as more of a 'power user' and pushing the system hard, I will not have need to hold it as it will be in laptop mode... when I use it as a tablet, I will be using it for less demanding tasks such as taking notes, browsing, watching netflix, etc.  I'm just more concerned with having the system be that hot for long periods of time and wondering if that might cause problems with the system down the road.

I'm in the same boat as you on this. It can get very bad sometimes. Under light use, it never get's as cool as I feel it should. I go through the currently running applications and try to run as minimally as possible, but it still creates a fair amount of heat. My battery life is around 6 hours with both batteries too. I definitely don't get the 8-9 hours it's supposed to be getting.

Starting to experience a bit of buyers remorse on this purchase.

houndkor
Serial Port
Views: 4,720
Message 6 of 41

mine gets really really hot too(I can't hold the tablet directly off the dock...have to wait some time to use it properly)

I think the machine gets hot regardless of the system load...maybe it's just a consequece of the higher VTDP on the laptop mode... the system is fairly cool in flip or in slate mode regardless of the load.

W540(Sold), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold), Tablet 10, X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, S30*4, X32*4, 701C*4
You could throw around your ThinkPad because it won't break.
You can still throw around your ThinkPad because it will break anyway even if you treasure it.
houndkor
Serial Port
Views: 4,718
Message 7 of 41

@ryanpm wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you on this. It can get very bad sometimes. Under light use, it never get's as cool as I feel it should. I go through the currently running applications and try to run as minimally as possible, but it still creates a fair amount of heat. My battery life is around 6 hours with both batteries too. I definitely don't get the 8-9 hours it's supposed to be getting.

I think the 10 hrs thing was for the i5 model. It's still five times longer than my X201t with 4cell battery, so I'm happy with this. Shorter battery time is something you have to live with if you are going to use an i7 machine on the go.
I also heard that actually the RTM version of the Helix IS the revised version from the initial batch(or the previewers' batch)... I heard the first machines were truely HOT.

[Added] Also, I think long term heat damage will be of less concern in case of the Helix. The business already has many years of slate tablets with standard CPUs that did have problems with heat(namely, Asus EP121 which had its LCD turn yellow because of heat, and Samsung Slate 7 which had serious throttling issues in its early days). If Lenovo HAS intelligence to learn from the history, which I want to believe they do, they should probably would have dealt with that, considering this machine may actually be a second revision. And even if I don't believe Lenovo, I still trust in Yamato Lab.

W540(Sold), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold), Tablet 10, X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, S30*4, X32*4, 701C*4
You can still throw around your ThinkPad because it will break anyway even if you treasure it.
ryanpm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,699
Message 8 of 41

@houndkor wrote:

I think the 10 hrs thing was for the i5 model. It's still five times longer than my X201t with 4cell battery, so I'm happy with this. Shorter battery time is something you have to live with if you are going to use an i7 machine on the go.
I also heard that actually the RTM version of the Helix IS the revised version from the initial batch(or the previewers' batch)... I heard the first machines were truely HOT.

[Added] Also, I think long term heat damage will be of less concern in case of the Helix. The business already has many years of slate tablets with standard CPUs that did have problems with heat(namely, Asus EP121 which had its LCD turn yellow because of heat, and Samsung Slate 7 which had serious throttling issues in its early days). If Lenovo HAS intelligence to learn from the history, which I want to believe they do, they should probably would have dealt with that, considering this machine may actually be a second revision. And even if I don't believe Lenovo, I still trust in Yamato Lab.

All good points and hopefully all will be well in the long run.

While we are on the topic, do you know of any ways to forceably throttle/limit the cpu to control heat? I looked around on various websites but didn't find anything helpful.

I came across the fan control program but that will only make it run hotter (but quieter) if anything.

houndkor
Serial Port
Views: 4,686
Message 9 of 41

@ryanpm wrote:

While we are on the topic, do you know of any ways to forceably throttle/limit the cpu to control heat? I looked around on various websites but didn't find anything helpful.

I'm not sure...but perhaps you can use RMclock or windows power settings.... I'm not really a big fan of those kind of softwares, so I'm afraid I can't help you much with that. But I do think that may be a solution to cool down the device and lengthen the battery time, actually...

switching on the battery stretch mode from the settings app might do the trick too.

jim8
Punch Card
Views: 4,556
Message 10 of 41

I haven't pushed it hard yet, mainly because it's not fully setup yet. However during the system tests in the lenovo software, it hit around 85+..

I used RMClock in the x61t with good results. I'll have to give it a try for the Helix too.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors