Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OdedH
Paper Tape
Views: 1,598
Message 1 of 12

Inking in onenote x220t

Hello, 

One of my main usage in my computer (and the main reason I bought this model 2 years ago) is taking notes in lectures using onenote. The problem is that often the ink disappear or spread all over the document. This is a very frustration problem because I can't use the computer for the main reason I bought it. I could not find any pattern in the appearance of the malfunction or any way to predict it. I had search for a solution for a long time over the internet and have yet to find any reason or a way to fix this.  I am using office 365 university and windows 8.1 pro. 

I will be very happy if there is a way to solve it. 

(BTW, I also tried MS support and it is a terrible one)

Thanking you in advanced, 

Oded

Guru
Views: 1,545
Message 2 of 12

Re: Inking in onenote x220t

Might be a problem of compatibility between Windows 8 / 8.1 and the X220t touch screen !

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
OdedH
Paper Tape
Views: 1,536
Message 3 of 12

First of all, thank you for your reply.
Secondly, how will you recommend to test it? What tool should I use for disabling the touch? (the best will be a tool which I can switch very quickly between touch and no touch)
thanks.
Guru
Views: 1,528
Message 4 of 12

It was only an assumption, I don't really know what's going on with your X220t. Mine is running Window7, but you might open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Pen and Touch. Normally you should see a tab named Touch, and a checkbox “Use a finger as a pointing device” (or something like that). Uncheck it. This will turn the touch feature off.

I’m not sure if this will change anything. It's more likely a driver issue.

Could you please post a screen shot of "the ink spreading all over the document" ?

OdedH
Paper Tape
Views: 1,508
Message 5 of 12

Hello, 

I wonder why do you assume the problem is with the touch drivers. The Problem does not happen in real time (the ink can "jump" long after I wrote it.). I had an experiment and tried to disable the automatic switch between touch/mouse/pen via onenote, I still encountered the problem.

Anyway, I will try to disable the touch and see (though Im having no hopes for that).

Do you happen to use onenote also? I do not know if the problem is my machine or with onenote.

I exported a page with the problem to PDF. There are some parts when there are writings on top of each others but I guess that will be hard to spot if you don't know the language :-). But there are sections that you can see clearly the problem. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdyvoha3lwto98y/algorithms%201%20-%20Lecture%201.pdf 

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 1,497
Message 6 of 12

I enlarged your Pdf to 300% and went carefully through it, but didn’t see any problem, except here and there a word covering another one (but I don’t know if you meant it or not).

As long as I know, the X220t has not been designed for Windows 8, and particularly the screen. Numerous forums report problems with the touch feature, digitizer, hotkey feature integration, power management, etc., even on the X230t. That's why I said that it might be a driver issue.

Why not downgrade to Windows 7? If your main purpose in using the X220t is taking notes, do you really need Windows 8? OneNote 2010 works fine on my X220t running Windows 7, and I guess oneNote 365 would do as well.

OdedH
Paper Tape
Views: 1,472
Message 7 of 12

For the problems in the PDF, for example all the spacey parts in the Doc weren't spacey when i wrote them the text from there moved or disappear, and the words on top of each others doesn't should be like that. BTW, today as i tried to take some notes I couldn't even complete the first sentence and as i rose the pen from the screen the last sentence was immediately gone.

I guess I will install a dual boot (or a triple one since i already use dual :-) ) with win7. I hope it will work with win7 and hope that lenovo will fix those drivers of this high end (and not cheap) machine.

thank you for your help.
Genghis7777
SCSI Port
Views: 1,441
Message 8 of 12

Shalom Oded,

MS Word also allows you to "ink". This gives you a way to test if OneNote is your problem.  Try inking in MS Word and see if the problem persists. If so, then the problem is not One Note. Alternatively if you're worried that its some MS code common to both applications  that could be the cause of your problem, then download something like Evernote and test again.

I hope that helps

--------
ThinkStation S10; ThinkPad 10; ThinkCentre 57e; X200 Tablet; T60 Tablet; T60 15" Widescreen; T60; T40; 701C; 3 x Apple Newton MP2100; 2 x HP 200LX
OdedH
Paper Tape
Views: 1,419
Message 9 of 12

Shalom Genghis :-)

After I shared my problems with friends owned x230t I followed their advise and installed onenote 2010. This version of onenote had the problem in the past but it has been fixed by MS.

Thank you all for your help.

for future generations, for now, there is a problem with onenote 2013 (I guess so at least) and inking.
bedoron
What's DOS?
Views: 1,265
Message 10 of 12

Hi all,
I've tried posting this link to Microsoft's facebook page.
no luck...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors