cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chromecarz00
Punch Card
Views: 10,970
Message 1 of 10

Just got my new X230 Tablet, had some questions on how to work somethings.

Hi everyone,

Had some questions on some things. 

First: The computer was advertised with a backlit keyboard but didn't come with it. How would I add it?

Second: The memory usage hovers around 2.2 - 2.5 (8gb ram) - this is much higher than my X61T it replaces. Any way to lower or is this normal?

Third: I saw in this review: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%...

there is an accelerometer which determines orientation - how do I turn this on? 

Fourth: A lot of this bloatware that lenovo never works properly - for instance when trying to change the % to how long is left, it doesnt work. Also, when trying to show the different power plans, doesnt seem to work as well. 

Other than that the computer seems pretty awesome. Can't wait to get it up and running. 

Nprod
Token Ring
Views: 10,937
Message 2 of 10

Re: Just got my new X230 Tablet, had some questions on how to work somethings.

1. The backlit keyboard is optional and not available on all models. Try pressing Fn+Spacebar to see if it turns on - once for Low, one more time for high and again to turn off.

2. Is this for the same operating system? As far as i know X61T's shipped only with XP Tablet and Vista. Also, the X3100 graphics chip on the X61 uses up to 384MB of shared memory, whereas the new integrated graphics can take up a lot more. It might help to remove all the Lenovo bloatware you don't need.

3. You need to make sure you have the Thinkvantage Active Protection installed. After that you can check in the control panel if it's working (Link to image), or download something like QCNLive that shows the accelerometer readings.

4. Can't help you here, as i usually uninstall the stuff i don't need. Just stick to the battery info Windows provides.

chromecarz00
Punch Card
Views: 10,924
Message 3 of 10

When I do that, it shows a keyboard with a slash through it...

The memory issue is with the X230T, I was just using the X61 as a point of comparison. 

How do I remove the bloatware? And I'll turn on the protection. Thanks for the response.

Nprod
Token Ring
Views: 10,908
Message 4 of 10

Perhaps the keyboard+slash icon means that your particular unit doesn't have a backlit keyboard? As i mentioned before, it's not present on all X230T's. Can you take a picture?

And to remove bloatware, you just uninstall it... Open up the taskman and see which processes are eating up the most memory.

DHYATT
What's DOS?
Views: 10,904
Message 5 of 10

Backlit Keyboard

I had the same question on my X230 regarding the backlit keyboard.  I was told if the spacebar has a picture of a bar with lines pointing upward it was backlit and the Fn+spacebar allowed me to turn it on.  Hopefully you have it on yours.  

Thanks

chromecarz00
Punch Card
Views: 10,896
Message 6 of 10

Re: Backlit Keyboard

Thanks for the responses. I'm rather annoyed at the amount of crapware on the computer that's slowing down what should be a great machine (i7, 8gb ram, 160gb ssd, 6205 wireless). In addition, for some reason the mouse has stopped working on both the eraserhead and the touch pad so the only input I can do is through touch. Any ideas on how to restore them? Also, my spacebar has a keyboard light with lines downward...that doesnt sound promising. Here's a picture of the icon I get:

[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/chromecarz00/keyboard_zpsb048f883.png[/IMG]

Nprod
Token Ring
Views: 10,879
Message 7 of 10

Yeah, that's pretty much the backlight icon with a strikeout - should mean there is no backlit keyboard on the machine. If you're that keen on it, you can order a replacement keyboard that has one, but it might be costly. About the pen - are you sure you didn't uninstall the tablet driver by accident?

chromecarz00
Punch Card
Views: 10,870
Message 8 of 10

I asked the seller to send me a backlit keyboard- hopefully they will. Also, I reinstalled the driver and it worked - dont know how I uninstalled it though. Thanks for the advice guys, any other advice?

DC_ProjectMgr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,774
Message 9 of 10

Don't worry about the memory. Since you have 8GB available Windows is putting some of the unused memory to work caching recent data and programs. If the OS can use RAM to make your experience faster by minimizing trips to the disk., it will do it. If you need a lot of memory for a task (like Photoshop), it will dump the cache and give the program you are running as much RAM as it needs.

There is no point in comparing available memory between two machines with different amounts of RAM.

If you want to monitor something meaningful, you can look at two things:

• Hard Faults - this occurs when a program asks for data that is not in RAM and has to be loaded from the disk
  • Page Faults - this happens when a program needs more RAM, but there is none left to give; the OS has shift some data stored in RAM to the disk to make the requested memory available. THIS is when you are running out of memory.
chromecarz00
Punch Card
Views: 10,769
Message 10 of 10

Hey, thanks for that response! Very informative. How would I check those other stats? Are they in task manager?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors