Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roger101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 490
Message 1 of 12

LENOVO X200T not booting up

Hi

My Lenovo X200T suddenly stopped working yesterday  (after 10 year's!!!).  I was just doing something on Excel and it restarted of its own accord whilst I was working.  It booted up again and I started working again, but then it restarted like before.   Did it a couple more times, and then wouldn't boot at all.   So I opened up the machine and cleaned out the fan etc, reseated the RAM.  

As you can see in this clip (https://youtu.be/nHHM569sI0w) it tries to start, fan turns for a bit, then turns off.  What you don't see in the clip is that the second time it does this, the fan then comes back on and stays on.  It sounds like the machine is working but nothing I'd happening on the screen.  I've tried taking the battery out, holding power button for 30s then plugging in AC and it makes no difference. Any ideas would be gladly appreciated.  

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 448
Message 2 of 12

Re: LENOVO X200T not booting up

Hi Roger101, welcome to the Community,

That power cord looks a little rough, that might be something.  Have you tried hooking up another display to see if anything shows on that?  Does the hard drive sound like it is spinning up when it turns on? You're not getting any beeps when you turn it on, right?

Sorry about all the questions.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Roger101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 431
Message 3 of 12

Hi dave.   No that's fine.  Please fire away with the questions.  So I tried an external monitor but no signal.  I actually managed to get it bootin up again occasionally, but now it won't even fire up.  Since it seems to boot and then shut down in one way or another, am guessing the fan is not keeping the processor cool enough and it keeps shutting itself down.  Yes the power cord has been repaired, but am having the same problem with a charged battery so I don't think that is the issue. Just changed put the CMOS battery for a new one but made no difference.  Yes the hard drive seems to fire up when it boots.  Occasionally it comes up with error code 0271 for date and time, hence why I replaced the CMOS.  odd thing is, when I go into setup, it only let's me use certain numbers for the day.  The month and year are fine, but I can only enter the 11th day for some reason.  So I save it as 11/11/19.  But it makes.no difference.  If it boots, it then shuts itself off.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 428
Message 4 of 12

Hi,

What OS are you running?  When it does boot, does the fan stay running.  You're not getting a fan error at startup, right? It still could be a problem with the fan.  It might be starting and then shutting off, do you hear it running when the machine is on?

How often do you get the error 0271?  Even if the cmos battery was dead, the machine should still run with the battery or ac plugged in.  Do you still get the error 0271?   

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Roger101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 422
Message 5 of 12

Windows 7.  In the video I posted, I know it's not clear, but the fan starts the first time then it stops and the laptop shuts down.  Then it starts up again on its own, and the screen is just blank and the fan just keeps on running.  To be honest it does something different every time.  At the moment it won't do anything , but if I play around with it, it will either do what it does in the video clip, or will actually make it almost to my desktop before shutting down.  Sometimes it boots as soon as I plug the power supply in without me even pressing the power button which is wierd.  Other times I have to press the button. Don't get a fan error.  Occasionally get the 0271 code but not every time.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 394
Message 6 of 12

When it does try to start, have you tried getting into the bios?  Do you know what version bios you are running?  Will it stay on when you are in the bios?  

If you are able to get into the boot order, you might be able to make a Linux live flash drive and boot from it.

If you are not able to keep it running while in the bios, or boot from a Linux live drive, it is looking more and more like a motherboard problem.  You "could" have a bad AC adapter or the power jack on the laptop might be damaged.  

If you are able to get into the bios and keep it running from there, you might have a problem with the hard drive.  It is hard to diagnose because it does different things every time.

Dave

Roger101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 376
Message 7 of 12

Hi dave

Thanks again for the response 

Here is another video to give you a better idea of whats going on: https://youtu.be/bCEiUGn0cvQ

I talk through some of it to explain what i'm doing.

I tried with and without the hard drive in.  Made no difference to the problems with booting up.  

This morning I couldn't even get it to show a power light or respond in any way.  Once i'd played about with it for a bit it seemed to come back to life.  But playing a bit more and it would switch off.  It definitely seems something mechanicAl related to the power.

It did the same thing with the battery so I really don't think it's the power supply.   

Something is possibly loose or damaged.  

Anyway, the bios is version 3.21, from 29/11/2012

Roger101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 353
Message 8 of 12

Should I update the BIOS?  It seems like there has been no update since 2012 so I can't see how this has been the issue? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 327
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

Your machine has multiple problems, I am sorry to say.

I think your power supply or your jack in the laptop is bad, maybe both.  Your screen probably has kinked or loose connections.  It does run better on just the battery, but it still turns off when you move things.  It could be a short on the motherboard, it is really hard to tell exactly what is causing this.  The fan should start right away when you start the machine and it isn't.

Even if there was an updated bios available I wouldn't try to update the bios, if your machine turns off in the middle of the update, it would probably be bricked.  

You could try to reseat the RAM chips, loose ram could cause problems.  At this point, throwing parts at it would not be very cost effective, a stripped down machine like this is very inexpensive on Ebay and you could just transfer your hard drive, RAM, and keep your machine for parts. If you do go this route, make sure that it comes with a power supply because I think yours has problems.

Regards,

Dave 

Roger101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 254
Message 10 of 12

Hi dave

Thanks so much for the response.  Well I wasted a bunch of money and time on it.

Did reseat the ram but made no difference.   Took it to a local shop bit they didn't tell me anything new.  I found a used motherboard on ebay. Cleaned everything and put it all back together.  Seems to be booting from the sounds but the screen now doesn't work.  So i'very had to call it a day.. 

Just wanted to say thanks

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors