Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimwong17
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,254
Message 1 of 3

Laptop won't turn on- Lenovo Thinkpad x230 tablet

Hello, 

I'm having some trouble with turning on my laptop. The problem originally started when some keys on my keyboard stopped working. I cleaned the keys, restarted my laptop, tried a previous restore point and then did a hard reset after nothing worked to fix my laptop. 

After hard resetting, I tried turning on my laptop and it did not turn on. So far, I've plugged in my laptop into the adaptor, plugged the adaptor directly into the wall outlet, and removed the battery and plugged in the laptop. The one thing I have noticed with my laptop is that when I plug in the adaptor, the battery and sleep lights turn on for a moment, then the sleep light turns off, and the battery light will stay on momentarily but then it will blink off after a few seconds.

What else should I do?

Thank you

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,217
Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop won't turn on- Lenovo Thinkpad x230 tablet

Hello kimwong17, welcome to the community,

as you have had trouble with the keyboard I would initially proceed as follows:  Remove power supply, battery and the keyboard from the system; it possible that a fault in the keyboard is actually blocking the system from starting.  Instructions on how to remove the keyboard can be found in the Harware Maintenance Manual (pdf pages 66-69).

Once you have done this you will need to remove the CMOS battery which is under the Palm Rest, removal instructions follow on from keyboard removal.  After you have removed the CMOS battery when you attach the power cord the system should automatically start POST and will probably throw a keyboard error; this tells you that the system is alive.  Attaching an USB keyboard beforehand also can't hurt.

Please let us know how you get on.

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

kimwong17
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,154
Message 3 of 3

Re: Laptop won't turn on- Lenovo Thinkpad x230 tablet

Hi Andy,

So I followed your instructions to start POST and I received a message as follows:

"0251: System CMOS Checksum bad - Default configuration used.

Real Time Clock Error - Check Date and Time settings

Press Esc to continue or F1 to enter Setup."

Unfortunately, I didn't have a spare USB keyboard on hand to try and enter Setup. I reattached the keyboard and restarted POST to see if there would be a keyboard error, but the same message showed up but withouth the "Press Esc to continue or F1 to enter setup" part. 

I pressed F1 on the keyboard to see if I could enter setup even without a prompt and it sent me to the home screen of my laptop. The time was incorrect, but later changed to the correct time as I hadn't turned on my laptop in a little over a week.

Some of the keys on my keyboard were still nonfunctional. 

How should I proceed with this information? 

Thank you,

Kim

Top Kudoed Authors