Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lambertian
Paper Tape
Views: 7,974
Message 1 of 29

Lenovo X1 tablet keyboard stops working

Hi there,

I have some difficulties with my lenovo X1 keyboard and am not sure if it is a defect. The keyboard often times just stops working. Sometime only the touchpad does not work anymore, sometimes the whole keyboard stops working. I have to detach and reattach the keyboard sometimes several times before it starts working again.

What is going on here. Can anybody help me?

best regards

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 7,898
Message 2 of 29

Re: Lenovo X1 tablet keyboard stops working

I have the same issue too. I am thinking it must be a hardware issue.

DP10
Paper Tape
Views: 7,878
Message 3 of 29

Same problem over here.

Sometimes triggerred by repositioning the keyboard from raised to flat (or vice versa).

Other times after waking up from sleep.

I tend to believe this is a software issue;  when the keyboard (or touchpad) stops responding - a reboot gets things working again.

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 7,866
Message 4 of 29

In my case, if it is a software problem, then it is a deep (firmware/BIOS) problem and not a driver issue. I bought the X1 Tablet because of a much better Ubuntu compatibility than Surface Pro 4. The problem occurs both in Windows and Ubuntu.

Mine also does not require a reboot, it is like Lambertian said: you just need to reattach it.
DP10
Paper Tape
Views: 7,858
Message 5 of 29

Gaussian,

Good point.  I can confirm that reconnecting the keyboard (sometime requires many [many] attempts) does usually get things working without a reboot.

However, the fact that a reboot also works suggest that there is no [mechanical] contact issue here.  It stands to reason that this is either: (1) a low-level software issue (BIOS or even keyboard firware - is such a thing exists); or (2) a-keyboard electonic issue (non-contact repated).

I wonder if there's a way to "soft-trigger" keyboard discovery (tried removing the device in Windows device manager at no avail).  Physically detaching and attaching the keyboard counteless times in a crowded airplain is no walk in the park...

HOGWILD1
Paper Tape
Views: 7,845
Message 6 of 29

Im in the same boat. I also have to restart my pc .some times if im watching a movie and  dont touch my keyboard for a long period of time it seems to disconect also.

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 7,828
Message 7 of 29

I am sending mine in tomorrow for repairs. Partially for this, but more importantly since one of the keys is physically coming off. And this is after less than two weeks of use. I'll let you know if this helps, but I will probably know in about two weeks time.

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 7,791
Message 8 of 29

Good news: Got mine back. Less than 48 hours turnaround with a keyboard rep

Got mine back. Less than 48 hours turnaround with a keyboard replacement (I am in the Midwest)

Nevermind: I am stupid. Actually reading the repair note indicates that the keyboard I got back is my original and they have ordered a new one. Ooops.

Bad news: 

It still doing that (the new keyboard keeps detaching). I am not going to deal with this before Tuesday (holiday weekend here in the States): my strategy is to keep sending it back. I have not even set up the machine yet to do any real work since there is no point if they will eventually replace the whole machine.

Apart from that, it is a nice machine.

Bulbous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,736
Message 9 of 29

This is a MAJOR problem! I bought 11 of these tablets, they cost about $2500 each, and the keyboard will not work reliably! No, it's not a hardware defect, or something wrong with the keyboard, as replacing the keyboard with a known good one does not resolve the issue. It is also not a software defect as it happens with brand new out of the box units.

Again, I ordered 11 of these, so it's not just a defect with a single unit. This is something systematic. It needs to be fixed, soon!

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 7,725
Message 10 of 29

Continuing to report on my experience. Got a new keyboard from Lenovo quickly to replace the one with a physical defect (L-key coming off). This did not fix the issue. I will very soon be on the phone again with Lenovo, sending the whole thing for repairs again.

Top Kudoed Authors