Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bulbous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,058
Message 11 of 35

Re: Lenovo X1 tablet keyboard stops working

I have to admit one possibility that I didn't try, that I would normally check right right off the bat. All of my units shipped with BIOS version 1.17. The current version is 1.55. Normally, I would download and install all available updates with Thinkvantage System Update, which would include drivers and BIOS updates.

However, TVSU does NOT download and install the BIOS update for these units. It has to be done manually. We'll see if this makes a difference - though there is nothing in the BIOS release history after verion 1.10 that is related to the keyboard functionality.

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 4,053
Message 12 of 35

YMMV, but I did update to the most recent bios and there is even a keyboard firmware update. Neither did anything to solve the problem.

Bulbous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,050
Message 13 of 35

When did you install the new keyboard firmware? I just noticed there was one released four days ago, and a new WinTab driver, too.

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 4,038
Message 14 of 35

Bulbous: I think it was two days ago. Anyway, it was the newest one. And if you read the change log, it mentions nothing about our current problem.

DP10
Paper Tape
Views: 3,994
Message 15 of 35

After installing the latest updates (including Keyaobard firmware),  I notice some changes (still a mixed-bag), as follows:

1. Keyboard is MORE responsive.  So far, when used in the lowered (flush with desktop) position - it seems to work well

2. behaviour when changing to the raised position has SLIGHTLY improved.  Before the update, it used to freeze completely (both keyboard and pointing devices).  Now it is responsive, albeit in a choppy way: the keyboard works more or less well, with random momentary freezes (usually lasting several seconds each).  The pointing devices will stay unresponsive most (but not all) of the time

3. When rebooting with the keyboard in the raised position, in > 50% of the cases I get a BSOD (!!!) with the error: 

KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL.  It will also happen when the keyboard is in the lowered position - but far less often.  I'm not sure I fully figured the behaviour out, but when I boot with the keyboard detached and work for a while (or let the tablet settle) without it - subsequent attachment of the keyboard will not trigger a Blue Screen. 

YMMV.  This strengthens my susspicion that it's all driver / firmware related. 

Lambertian
Paper Tape
Views: 3,988
Message 16 of 35

Just a little update from my side: I have returned my device as DOA (dead on arrival). I hope everything goes well with the cash back. I'm really upset that lenovo is selling unfinished products with such obvious flaws.

I don't have numbers but it seems to me everyone I know who had his hands on this device seems to have the same problem with it.

I really can not understand why they're selling an unfinished product with such obvious defects. It was the first thing I noticed after activating the device. For me the keyboard is a key feature and without it I can not do my daily work. Maybe it is called "tablet" but the USP for me definitely is the keyboard and opportuniy to use it as an ultra portable laptop replacement. Sadly the perfect device I hoped for still remains a dream and Lenovo has lost sooo much reputation in my eyes with this product. I'm so disappointed!

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 3,966
Message 17 of 35

Bulbous: Out of the eleven keyboard-tablet pairs, how many you would say work reliably? Just curious. This includes being able to use them as a laptop (so allowing some movement without the keyboard detaching).

Bulbous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,962
Message 18 of 35

Out of the eleven, I have only deployed five of them. Two of them have been associated with keyboard problems, right out of the box, and both by the same user. The other three users have not reported any problems yet.

This may be because of the way they use the tablets; maybe they never let them go into hibernation.

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 3,957
Message 19 of 35

Ok. I think we have slightly different versions of the same underlying problem going on. My problem occurs (mostly) when the tablet is moved. And I am talking about movements of less than, say, a millimeter or natural minuscule movements that would happen when the tablet is on your lap. I have not drawn any conclusion about hibernation/suspend.

Lambertian
Paper Tape
Views: 3,954
Message 20 of 35

Gaussian,

with mine it was the same as you discribe it. As soon as I was moving the device slightly there was a big propability that the keyboard lost it's connection to the device. Sometimes just the pointing device was unresponsive, sometimes the whole keyboard.
I could not make out any mechanical reason for this. It felt like a software issue.
Also after wakeup or bootup the keyboard was unresponsive, even if I hadn't moved the device at all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors