Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechCentre-ES
What's DOS?
Views: 8,174
Message 21 of 35

Re: Lenovo X1 tablet keyboard stops working

Finding the same problem as most here.  Keyboard and touchpad stop working randomly.  Occasionally I'll be typing and it will stop, then allow another letter or two, and quit entirely until the next reboot.  Very frustrating for such an expensive unit.

Gaussian
Punch Card
Views: 8,165
Message 22 of 35

Update on my experience: I have sent mine for repairs three times. 

1. When I go the unit, I thought the keyboard was DOA since it did not initially work at all. I sent it in and it worked at the repair center, so they sent it back to me.

2. After getting it back, I realized that the problem was more intermittent, sent it back to repairs. They sent the unit back and ordered a new keyboard. If you look back at this thread, you'll notice it did not fix the problem.

3. Sent it back. Has been at the repair center for over 30 days now. They have apparently changed the pogo connector and the motherboard. Now they are waiting for a new keyboard, estimated part availability is at the end of November. I really want this to work, so I am waiting it out now. If I get the unit back in working order in late November the tally at that point would be something like I had the unit for two weeks, the repair center for two and half months. UPS is at least making some money out of my unit.

I am getting convinced that the whole X1 Tablet has some manufacturing and/or design issues that have not been solved: at least here in the US it is once again listed unavailable on the Lenovo website.

Alex1702
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,133
Message 23 of 35

Hi! It seems I know at least one way to overcome this problem with the keyboard. I bought my x1 with the productivity module, which I received 10 days later after the main modules, i.e. pc, keyboard and pen. Already in the first day I found that in this minimal configuration any small move leads to keyboard disconnection. I guess it is not a mechanical problem - the keyboard holds rather firmly by magnets. I tried to overcome this defect untill the productivity module came. I installed it, connected the keyboard to it and a miracle was performed - the keyboard started to work without failure and it continues a couple of weeks. I cannot warranty that this "recipe" works in all cases, but it is worth to prove. The cost of the "cure" is $150.   

DP10
Paper Tape
Views: 8,080
Message 24 of 35

A new keyboard firmware has been released on October 26, 2016.

After installing the update, I can testify that there is a NOTABLE IMPROVEMENT - although the problem is STILL NOT SOLVED.

The keyboard is now initially MORE responsive in raised mode (meaning, raised from the desk surface, and attached to the screen edge using the magnet strips).  Prior to the update, it was almost never responsive in this mode. 

Transition from raised to lower position (meaning, keyboard is flush with the desk surface) - and vice versa - works fairly well for a while – with some noticeable lags. 

However, when left idle for a few minutes, raised mode stops working, while lowered mode remains functional.

All-in-all, this is a definite improvement, and makes the tablet almost fully usable.

Let’s hope for a complete solution in the near future.

Bulbous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,049
Message 25 of 35

I've been trying to order a new X1 tablet since late September, and the ETA keeps getting pushed back. Today, I asked my Lenovo Rep what was going on, and he said: " I received a supply alert on this product last week. There have been issues with the connector pins to the keyboard randomly disconnecting. The issues have been identified and we are looking to ramp back up manufacturing shortly, but current ETA is Mid Dec".

So, it appears that this issue has been a manufacturing defect all along.

Former Employee
Views: 7,805
Message 26 of 35

In response to customer reports of unsatisfactory keyboard behavior on X1 Tablet ThinkPad systems, Lenovo has release several solutions.

In the event the keyboard fails to work or works intermittently, please upgrade the keyboard software: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/sf16-t0038

After upgrading the software, please check to ensure the keyboard mounting posts have not been damaged at the point where the keyboard attaches to the tablet. If the pins appear damaged, please contact Lenovo Service for assistance and reference Service TIP # SF16-T0040. This tip requires the system to be serviced under warranty.

If the keyboard continues to display unexpected behavior after upgrading the software and verifying the mounting posts are undamaged, please contact Lenovo Service for a new keyboard and reference Service TIP # SF16-T0099. Lenovo will provide a free replacement keyboard for systems under warranty.

If the previous steps do not resolve the issue, please contact Lenovo Service and reference Service TIP #SF16-T0099 to have the entire system serviced under warranty.

Thank you,

DP10
Paper Tape
Views: 7,441
Message 27 of 35

I'm pleased to inform that my problem has been solved.  Following the recipee provided by Lenovo in the sticky note, and after finding that the firmware update did not solve the problem, I contacted support, as suggested, for a replacement keyboard.  Support were very prompt in shipping a new unit.  The new keyboard works flawlessly.

43dcp
What's DOS?
Views: 6,044
Message 28 of 35

I tried using the firmware update but it did not work.  Would not install because it did not detect a keyboard, eventhough it is physically connected.  

rbp2
What's DOS?
Views: 4,149
Message 29 of 35

This is great if I could install the software BEFORE the keyboard stops working ... now I turn it on and since the keyboard doesn't work, I can't put in my BitLocker key to even get into Windows...

FastRDust
What's DOS?
Views: 2,972
Message 30 of 35

Little update on the keyboard not working,

I also have had this problem when i activated Thunderbolt Pre-loading in the Bios is activated.

When i Disable the pre-loading this is not a problem anymore.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors