cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jettatore
SCSI Port
Views: 1,747
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo X220 Tablet (screen just startedshowing signs of screen memory burn in...)

This just started this morning.  I noticed that if I left a browser window open for a while (particularly with a white background with black text), when I minimize the window, I can see a faint image of it left behind that fairly quickly (at least for now) fades away on it's own.

I turned off the machine, unplugged all the batteries and the power.  Checked and cleaned all the connections and vents.  Then powered it back up on just main battery (has nearly a full charge) played with brightness just a bit.  At first it wasn't repeating the problem but quickly it's showing up again and I am extremely concerned.

I am still under warranty.  Please advise.  Thank you in advance - best regards.

Moderator comment: Subject edited to clarify laptop model.

Jettatore
SCSI Port
Views: 1,707
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo X220 Tablet (screen just startedshowing signs of screen memory burn in...)

Updated Info:  Problem only happens on the edges of the screen, a little less than an inch in from any edge, top/bottom/left/right and the problem may appear, but anything in the middle and it seems fine.

Doesn't happen if my background is set to solid black.  It's slightly noticeable with a mid-grey tone and it's worse still with a mid to dark grey tone that is tinted with a purple-ish hue. 

Could some other x220 owners set their bg color to a dark grey purple color, and try to see if it's just a limitation.  I'm trying to determine if my hardware is failing, or if I just stumbled upon something that for most cases and purposes isn't going to be much of a bother.

Other than recently calibrating my touch and pen input, I haven't made any changes to the system.  Today I installed a new intel graphics driver update from Win update but it didn't change anything.

Thank you all very much.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,695
Message 3 of 8

Re: Lenovo X220 Tablet (screen just startedshowing signs of screen memory burn in...)

I recall reading that this is a common thing in IPS displays. I see it on my X220 and on my Ativ 500T, the Ativ being a bit worse. I have a dark gray background on my Win8 start screen and on it right now I can perfectly recognize the burn-in of  my browser's address bar. In the Ativ I sometimes see the pinned icons of my taskbar in detail. Not great, but at least it's never become anything permanent. 

Jettatore
SCSI Port
Views: 1,682
Message 4 of 8

Thanks Joe, that inspires some confidence.

I had no problems with it before at all, changed the background color about a week or so ago to a mid to dark gray with a purple tint.  I guess it just took about a week for me to notice that this combination helped produce such an effect.

If it's not permanent damage, it's a limitation that I could live with, at least on this system.  It doesn't happen at all here with a black background, and I have never noticed it before using very dark gray backgrounds which is what I normally use but maybe it's there if one really looks.

Jettatore
SCSI Port
Views: 1,649
Message 5 of 8

Could someone else please test this issue on their x220 to help confirm if this behavior is uniform accross all x220 systems.  I don't want to get stuck in an out of warranty position if my system is in the process of slowly failing.

bladebarrier
Token Ring
Views: 1,626
Message 6 of 8

LCD burn in is usually temporary.

I haven't noticed it happen on my X220T, and I've had this unit for quite a while now, though I don't have any one thing up the marjority of the time it's on. I also make sure the screen turns off automatically at 5 minutes, whether it's plugged in or not.

Here's my experience with LCD burn in. The pixels get sort of twisted over time, from repeatedly aligning themselves to the same certain color position (or at least this is how it was explained to me).

In order to try to fix it so that it goes away, move everything around for a week or so. Make sure to use a screen saver that kicks in frequently (just for that week anyways), and don't have the screen auto-turn off frequently (let it run the screen saver instead). Basically what you want to have happen is have those tweaked pixels do something completely different for a while. Maybe even run the laptop over night a few times, while plugged in, and have it set to a screen saver the whole time (without allowing the screen to shut off at all). Make sure the screen saver isn't one of those ones that just moves stuff on your desktop a little bit. You want something that will use the screen in a radically different way, color wise.

If it suddenly goes away, or gets much fainter, you now know how to fix LCD burn in and have evidence to back it up.

I have to do this with my 52" LCD TV that I use as one of my monitors for my desktop. Every few months it'll start to show ghost images, and I do what I explained above, and all is well in the world again.

If what I said doesn't fix it, you might have a permanent burn in condition (LCD isn't immune), but you've got a very good shot that it's not that scenario. That kind of thing normally happens on TV's where people watch TV constantly in a way that doesn't fill the screen fully, and they'll get permanent "black bars". On computers it's much easier to remedy. 

Jettatore
SCSI Port
Views: 1,602
Message 7 of 8

Thanks blade, that info really helps.

Could you (or some one else) please try setting your x220t background to a middle gray value and tint it slightly blue/purple-ish.  Once that is set, load a browser window fullscreen and let it sit for 30 seconds to a minute and then minimize back to the desktop to see if you see a faint ghost on the top edge.  Another way is to put a row of desktop icons on the top edge with the BG color set as described above and then after 30 seconds to a minute, move icons one by one out of the way and see if a faint outline of the icons persists for a handful of seconds.

Your solution could prove very useful, I want to get as much info and strategy as I can to determine if I am sending this in for warranty before it's too late or if it's just a standard, mild, bug on all systems, or if I can fully repair it with your solution.  Thanks, if others with the same system could try this as well it would be apreciated greatly, ty.

bladebarrier
Token Ring
Views: 1,555
Message 8 of 8

I tried both of your methods, and there wasn't even a hint of anything like that.

I'm guessing it's defective and you need to warranty it out. There are tons of complaints regarding ghosting on just about every LCD screen made, where some are just deffective and this thing happens -- google "lcd ghosting 30 seconds" or something along those lines. You'll see comments about the kindle fire, macbooks, samsung screens, you name it, you'll find it. Some people never seem to get it, some have the issue from day one. The more popular the model, the more posts you'll see about it (which means it's probably not specific to any one manufacturer or design type).

If you feel like trying my solution first, here are some more details:

Do what I suggeted above, regarding the screen saver. Use a screen saver that is purely white for three days (basically take an all white image, and put it in photos, then pick the photos screensaver option and select that image). Set it to fire on at two minutes, and not shut the screen off for at least an hour (obviously only when plugged in). Run this on your lunch break, or at night while charging. Then swap to a pure black screensaver, with the same 2 minutes until it kicks in, and at least an hour before the screen shuts off (or the computer goes to sleep, whichever you prefer). Run the black one for three days.

NOTE: The backlight setting should be irrelevant, so you can go ahead and have the screen dim to the lowest setting at the same time, so that less battery is being used. You don't want to blind yourself with an obnoxiously bright white screensaver at inopportune times.

If it's still doing what you're describing, and I expect it will, I would absolutely warranty it out. However if down the road you get the burn in I'm referring to, you'll know how to fight it Smiley Happy

Best of luck,

--bb