cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MeisterLabs
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,786
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo X61T: Wireless Adapter(Intel WiFi Link 4695AGN) won't SWITCH ON!

Hey guys,

I've been a X61T(tablet) user for over 2 years now and have never had WiFi connection issues, whatsoever. I upgraded to Windows 7 last year and things only got better. Man Very Happy

But, today, after uninstalling a program called "Connectify", that basically transforms your laptop into a WiFi hotspot, my Wireless Radio JUST WON'T SWITCH ON! My Wireless Radio switch(that's in front) is on(I pushed it to the right). Up until yesterday, it was working great. I even used my Wireless Network to create a WiFi hotspot using Coonectify. I also deleted it from Connectify because it wasn't working. And then, I just uninstalled Connectify because I didn't see a point in creating a hotspot, when I have a Wireless Router at home. I rebooted my PC and Viola --- WIRELESS RADIO HAS BEEN DEAD! I don't see the green LED for WiFi on the extreme left blinking anymore. Gone! Smiley Sad

Went to Device Manager and I didn't see any problems with the Intel WiFi Link 4695 Device driver. I still uninstalled it and downloaded the most recent one. STILL NOT WORKING!

I checked the registries to see if I can find any entries from Connectify that may be causing the problem, but Nada! Nothing there as well! I'm feeling pretty downbeat because I got a new Wireless Router yesterday NETGEAR N-150 and not even 24 hours later, I'm back to using ETHERNET cable!

I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me out here! Thanks.

MeisterLabs
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,781
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo X61T: Wireless Adapter(Intel WiFi Link 4695AGN) won't SWITCH ON!

GINORMOUS APOLOGIES!
Re-installed the device driver and the problem is gone!

PS, I hope my post was at least entertaining...I feel that sheepish now!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,745
Message 3 of 7

Don't feel too bad, we've all been there at one time or another.

Thanks for posting back your fix.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
MeisterLabs
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,666
Message 4 of 7

Thanks!

Hi TopMahof,

Thanks for understanding.

Now, I have a new problem. Once I installed the new "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software" from Lenovo's website, the wireless radio switched ON. But, the moment I shut the computer down, wireless radio switched back OFF again(even though my wireless router was still ON). I decided to go to Programs to uninstall and reinstall the driver. I saw an option to "Modufy", 'Reapir" and 'Remove". I chose "Repair" and Viola! The wireless radio switched back ON again!

Unfortunately, I had to do that every time I rebooted my PC these past 2 days. And, today....even that has stopped working.

I've tried some new things. Went to power manager and unchecked "turn wireless radio OFF when not in use". Also changed a similar setting by right clicking on the device driver under Dervice Manager and selecting "never switch the radio OFF"

NO SUCCESS!

Please help me out! I'm glad my radio's hardware isn't malufunctioning, it's definitely a software issue. I just can't seem to figure it out. Very frustrating...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,648
Message 5 of 7

Are you using Lenovo's power manager or the windows 7 power manager?  Do you have the hot keys utility installed?

Are you able to turn it back on by clicking Fn+ F5?

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
MeisterLabs
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,594
Message 6 of 7

Hi Dave,

I have Lenovo's Power Manager as well as Access Connections. The problem was that my Windows Wireless Network Detector was somehow getting hindered by Access Connections. I think I never really installed the hotkeys utility installed after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 ultimate. Nevertheless, I was able to connect to wireless networks up until a few days ago.

I thought why not uninstall Access Connections to see if it works. I also uninstalled the Intel Wifi Link 4695AGN driver.

Here's the UNBELIEVABLE PART: The moment I rebooted my PC, it(SOMEHOW -- I have no sodding clue) automatically installed WiFi Link AGN....I didn't  even have the installation file for that driver. So, it's uncanny how my tablet did that for me!

Do you think there may be two wireless radio drivers installed in different folders when I upgraded to Windows 7 last July?

So far, I haven't had any problems. Although, learning from a popular opinion, I will install Access Connections back up, along with Hot Keys Utility! I'm just apprehensive because I'm afraid that might ruin it all again...haha.

I once again apologize. You're as kind as I am impatient -- very much! Thank you!

I hope I won't have any issues with my Wireless Radio again...

Truly,

Sid

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,582
Message 7 of 7

When you uninstalled the driver and then rebooted, windows probably detected new hardware and provided you with a new driver.  If you go into device manager and double click your wireless adapter, then driver, it will show you who provided the driver.  If it says Microsoft, then windows provided the driver when you rebooted.  If it says Lenovo, then you must have had another driver in a folder somewhere.

Glad it's working

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals