Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Re: General Slowness troubleshooting...

I have a 7200 rpm HDD

Windows is up to date

Lenovo updates are current

No SD card

Have firefox 5

no showing of any infections

I have symmantic endpoint protection and I looked to see if was any boot settings but I couldn't find any.  Does anyone know where to find any at?

I did turn off a few Intel things that start up and that helped a little.  Still not as fast as it should be.

Guru
0 Kudos

Which defragger do you use?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/688/1376, 21GB RAM, 500GB + 750GB HDD, FHD screen & MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Y3P: 5Y70, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD+ screen
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Nothing yet I just got it 2 weeks ago.
Punch Card
0 Kudos

I've installed Microsoft Security Essentials -- this anti-virus suite is free on Microsoft's website.  (Note: this is different from Windows Defender.)

It requires a little bit of searching.

Compared to my not-too-extensive experience with AVG/McAffee/Norton, I've had no problems with it in terms of performance.  YMMV in terms of security.

I'm assuming that it should be better optimized/integrated for Windows performance.  -- Although it may make Microsoft's lawyers worry about anti-trust lawsuits, if it significantly dented the 3rd party anti-virus sales.

If your 3rd party anti-virus is scanning the PC at the same time that Windows Defender is scanning, then that would be another slow-down factor.

Another thing to look into: power settings may be throttling back CPU -- if it is configured that way.

... And/Or hard drive encryption does require some CPU and IO also, if it is active.

Highlighted
Guru
0 Kudos

Defrags are really necessary early on in the life of a computer as you install al of your programs, migrate all of your music, etc., which puts the files in a less than optimal arrangement.

After the first while, defragging becomes a regular thing that Windows 7 should handle automatically every Wednesday at 1AM.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/688/1376, 21GB RAM, 500GB + 750GB HDD, FHD screen & MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Y3P: 5Y70, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD+ screen
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have an X220 tablet windows 7 professional, i7 2.7GHz, 8GB ram, 320GB 7200rpm HDD. 

I have a similar problem. When i startup my machine the PLEASE WAIT of the fingerprint software comes on and takes about 1 min 30 seconds before the SWIPE ON GREEN comes.

This sometimes causes me to escape and type in my password rather.

Is this a problem with the fingerprint reader software?

Thanks