Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

02-21-2008

Roswell GA

72 Signins

769 Page Views

• Views: 769
  • Message 1 of 5

Monitor color calibration

2009-06-23, 21:19 PM

I've searched the forums and don't see anything. Is there any info about calibrating my ThinkPad X61 Tablet's monitor? Like, lime green looks yellow on the monitor and lime green on the printout.

Thanks!

" .. Good Art Won't (Necessarily) Match Your Sofa .."
[X61 Think Pad Tablet Model 7764CTO. XP SP 3.]
Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Monitor color calibration

2009-06-25, 20:28 PM

Hi cmooreart,

The most accurate way to calibrate your monitor is to use a hardware calibrator. I've used the i2 Display 2 with good results. Monitor calibration will ensure that you can see shades of gray both in shadows and the highlights, and that your color temperature is as you set it. There's no one universal color temperature: 6500K is standard for the web, but to match monitor and printed colors, you'll probably need to use a much warmer temperature, maybe 4500K or so. Of course it also depends on the light in which you view your prints! Color perception is a fascinating subject, there's much more in wikipedia and google if you are interested :-)

Good luck,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Options

277 Posts

08-01-2008

United States of America

508 Signins

3619 Page Views

• Views: 3619
  • Message 3 of 5

2009-06-30, 1:33 AM

Frank,

I am starting to use CS4 for prints more and more so want (need!) to calibrate, too. Did you use the gear and software you endorsed on the x61t screen? Successfully? This next step for accuracy and time savings is more cash over and above the CS4 purchase so I have to be careful.

jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Keeping an X61t just in case.
First laptop in my house was a luggable Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 4 of 5

2009-06-30, 2:11 AM

Hi jonathan7007,

I don't want to give the impression of endorsing any particular hardware calibrator. The fact is that the one I mentioned is the only one I've tried! Others may be less expensive and work equally well; Google will find you quite a few reviews which may be useful.

I am happy to endorse some open source software and its author: Argyll CMS, by Graeme Gill. It doesn't have a pretty GUI, and will require you to learn more about calibrating than you probably want to know, but it works, it's free, and the author has some potentially useful information about calibration hardware on that website. I use Argyll under Linux, and its LUT loader under Windows XP.

Probably most hardware calibrators come with Windows software with a GUI that would be easier to use than Argyll.

I have not personally calibrated an X61t. But it has an excellent AFFS screen that should calibrate very well.

Maybe you could join (or start!) a photo club that could purchase calibration equipment and loan it to members for a day or two at a time? For really critical work, you are supposed to check and re-calibrate your monitor at regular intervals. Its backlight slowly ages and shifts its calibration over time. But this process is so slow that I think most hobbyists can simply ignore it: calibrate once, and then don't worry about it until/unless you notice a problem. In this case you only need the calibrator for a day or two, and it makes great sense to share it with others.

Here are a couple of websites with online monitor tests:

http://www.vanity.dk/tft/monitorTest_scale.html

http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/tests/

With a calibrated monitor you will be able to differentiate shades of gray both in the shadows and the highlights, and ideally won't see any color casts or banding in the grayscale fade from black to white.

Despite me blathering on, I want to stress that I'm NOT a color perception or color calibration expert, I just find it interesting. Take the above with a grain of salt. :smileywink:

Have fun,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Options

277 Posts

08-01-2008

United States of America

508 Signins

3619 Page Views

• Views: 3619
  • Message 5 of 5

2009-07-01, 21:42 PM

Thanks for the expanded post! I have worked on color calibration as a consultant (on the marketing side) for Kodak -- a long time ago -- with an early dedicated system for designers and production folks that had to do soft-proofing. late 80's. Spent a lot of time at Seybold, a trade show for print and production. A lot of fun! The color scientists at Kodak opened my eyes to to complications and elegance of color models and calibration. Now as a formar pro photographer and current hobbyist I realize I have to revisit the tools. Just using a LCD is a tough start for working the software tools' range of color.

I will look at the tool/software you mentioned and I am sure I will learn a lot.

I run Vista Business on my tablet. I still have WinXP home on the old desktop in the living room but a big LCD there, too. There have been a bunch of new tools introduced. Color Munki is one. The Spyder product I think went to v3. (Sigh) I will have to sneak some more $$ for my hobby from the cookie jar...

jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Keeping an X61t just in case.
First laptop in my house was a luggable Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms