Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FreezinIceKirby
Paper Tape
Views: 361
Message 1 of 2

Need help figuring out what's wrong with my Laptop

I'm facing an issue right now with my Lenovo Thinkpad X230t laptop.

For some reason, it likes to suddenly shut off (as if someone cut the power) whenever I move the Laptop.  It doesn't always happen, but still seems to occur often enough to be really annoying.  For example, it's happened while carrying it into another room, and sometimes it happens when I slightly nudge it or the table it's resting on, too.  There's even been times in which I tried to pick it up as gently as possible to move it, and it still occurs.  Again, not always... almost seems random.

The thing is, it doesn't just shut off right away though... it usually takes a few seconds, so I never know if it's going to happen until it just does.  In fact, it's almost like somoene's holding down the power button for five seconds and shutting it off that way... except my finger's nowhere near the power button, and as far as I'm aware, it's not broken or anything (I've never had trouble using it to turn the computer on or putting the thing into sleep mode), so I don't think it's malfunctioning and pressing itself down or something (though I wouldn't rule that possibility out or anything).

I've tried testing a few theories of my own out, but to no avail.  I thought it might've been a power issue, but it's happened both on and off the power cord, as well as with and without the battery attached.  I even went as far to take out the hard drive and ram, yet it still does it (I was able to test this by removing all of them and then gently rocking my laptop... sure enough, it happens).  I even ran multiple diagnostics on my Laptop, via both Windows and those things that show up without a hard drive present, but they report no issues whatsoever (the computer can't detect the problem at all).  Also, I don't think it's an overheating issue, since whenever this happens, nothing on the Laptop feels hot when it happens... at least, as far as I can tell, anyway.  

Anyone have any ideas or theories as to what's going on with my Laptop?  I really need this thing for a big project I might be starting soon and don't have the funds to go out and buy another one, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out and determine what might be causing this.  Also, I do travel around a lot, so just keeping it in one spot is pretty much out of the question (not to mention it has a touchscreen I use for Photoshop & drawings, so I'm moving it all the time as a result).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 341
Message 2 of 2

Re: Need help figuring out what's wrong with my Laptop

A cracked video cable can occasionally cause hard shutdown.  I would try moving the screen slightly while holding the base steady.  If that caused the shutdown I would try changing that cable.  A crack on the motherboard (bad trace) can also cause it.  If the screen wasn't the problem, I would start it with no palmrest and the keyboard cable attached and the keyboard not in place and poke around at cables with something non-conductive to try to see where the problem might be, for example, the ribbon cable at the right.  I would also move it around without the palmrest and see if it is "fixed".  Problem could be ribbon cables for the palmrest.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors