Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barnes
Paper Tape
Views: 522
Message 1 of 6

New X230T, a few issues I've been having

Hi everyone, 

I just got an X230T and I love it dearly, but I'm having a few minor issues that I would love to attempt to get cleared up. I am coming from the Macbook world, and have been babied a bit, though I had run a bare install of Windows 7 on the machine in the last year of its life. 

1. WiFi connectivety after resuming after sleep: When I get back home, or show up on campus, I'll often fail to connect to the WiFi network. I can manually disable and reenable the WiFi adapter and I'll connect no problem. Not sure what is causing this, but it seems to be a result of resuming from sleep. 

2. Failing to sleep when closed: This is new, but occasionally the machine will fail to sleep when I  close it, generating far to much heat in its sleve when it is in my backpack. Not sure if this is common, or is there is any reasonable fix, but my power settings are set to sleep when closed.

3. Dolby Digital settings crash: I've never once been able to open and use the Dolby Digital setting, they crash immediately after opening. (ie. "Dolby Profile Editor has stopped working") I've tried looking for software updates, but to no avail. 

4. Conflicting settings between Windows Control Panel vs. Thinkvantage Tool Suite (and general bloatware annoyances): I'm having trouble discerning what settings I should be manipulating / which takes presedence. I like some of the Lenovo Tools, and love some of the default Windows Tools (ie. Windows WiFi settings are great and much less obtrusive / heavy than Lenovo's), but have trouble managing the both. Any advice on how to setup all of the settings and configuration between the two is great. On a related note, the bloatware is rather bothersome, and I'm weary to remove some components in fear of needing them for warranty / support. If I were to theoretically completely abandon Lenovo's tools, is there any conflict with data collection and system monitoring that would be needed for warranty services?

del_psi
Token Ring
Views: 514
Message 2 of 6

Re: New X230T, a few issues I've been having

@barnes wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I just got an X230T and I love it dearly, but I'm having a few minor issues that I would love to attempt to get cleared up. I am coming from the Macbook world, and have been babied a bit, though I had run a bare install of Windows 7 on the machine in the last year of its life. 

1. WiFi connectivety after resuming after sleep: When I get back home, or show up on campus, I'll often fail to connect to the WiFi network. I can manually disable and reenable the WiFi adapter and I'll connect no problem. Not sure what is causing this, but it seems to be a result of resuming from sleep. 

2. Failing to sleep when closed: This is new, but occasionally the machine will fail to sleep when I  close it, generating far to much heat in its sleve when it is in my backpack. Not sure if this is common, or is there is any reasonable fix, but my power settings are set to sleep when closed.

3. Dolby Digital settings crash: I've never once been able to open and use the Dolby Digital setting, they crash immediately after opening. (ie. "Dolby Profile Editor has stopped working") I've tried looking for software updates, but to no avail. 

4. Conflicting settings between Windows Control Panel vs. Thinkvantage Tool Suite (and general bloatware annoyances): I'm having trouble discerning what settings I should be manipulating / which takes presedence. I like some of the Lenovo Tools, and love some of the default Windows Tools (ie. Windows WiFi settings are great and much less obtrusive / heavy than Lenovo's), but have trouble managing the both. Any advice on how to setup all of the settings and configuration between the two is great. On a related note, the bloatware is rather bothersome, and I'm weary to remove some components in fear of needing them for warranty / support. If I were to theoretically completely abandon Lenovo's tools, is there any conflict with data collection and system monitoring that would be needed for warranty services?

First of all , what OS are you using?

I've had the X230t for almost a full year now and realized that it wasn't made for Windows 8 so you'll have some problems with Windows 8.

Normally if a laptop is brand new and gives problems like those , I'd recommend an HDD scan if you are using a regular HDD.

barnes
Paper Tape
Views: 500
Message 3 of 6

I'm running Windows 7, I have a unwarranted fear of Windows 8. Smiley Tongue

I've scanned the drive and defrag weekly. Nothing I'm running into seems like an HDD problem, so much as crappy software problems. (crashing software, loss of connectivity, etc.)

Another issue of note: A few times, the touchscreen stops working, but a reboot gets it back up and running. Only a handful of times I've noticed this, but it is certainly an annoyance. 

del_psi
Token Ring
Views: 495
Message 4 of 6

@barnes wrote:

I'm running Windows 7, I have a unwarranted fear of Windows 8. Smiley Tongue

I've scanned the drive and defrag weekly. Nothing I'm running into seems like an HDD problem, so much as crappy software problems. (crashing software, loss of connectivity, etc.)

Another issue of note: A few times, the touchscreen stops working, but a reboot gets it back up and running. Only a handful of times I've noticed this, but it is certainly an annoyance. 

With my factory installed version of Windows 7 , I had none of those problems so I think there is a hardware problem or someone messed with the software.

The factory installed software doesn't cause any odd problems like that unless someone messed with it.

rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 441
Message 5 of 6

I second del-psi's suggestion of a possible HW problem.  My new X230T works well for the most part, but I have also had the odd problem here and there, which seemed to be SW.  The memory passes the "basic" Windows Memory Diagnostic, but hangs at 21% when I try to run it "extended".  Since the results are the same with 3 different memory modules, 2 of which worked in another laptop, it looks like a memory controller issue.

X320T running Windows 8.1 Pro x64
rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 371
Message 6 of 6

Have to revise my last post ;-} but can no longer edit it.

Seems that I failed to take into account the foible os the Windows Memory Diagnostic (details here).

Given enough time, the Windows daignostic completes successfully, and MemTest86+ also gives my RAM a clean bill of health.

X320T running Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors