Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kharman777
Paper Tape
Views: 5,459
Message 1 of 7

No sound on my X61

I suddenly have no sound on my tablet X61, running Vista.  I haven't downloaded SP2, it's the Vista that came with the computer.  I do have system sounds, but cannot hear anything else (audio files, youtube, Skype, etc.).  I've tried reinstalling the driver (v6.10.1.5510 (6.10.2.5510)), no help.  Tried disabling and enabling the audio device.  No help.  I've checked the audio through Control Panel, and it says that everything is working fine.  I've tried using the silver volume buttons by the Thinkvantage button. No change.  I've checked the latest bios, and it's what I have.

When I try to run the test call in Skype, it immediately tells me that my microphone is not working.

I don't use the speech recognition function.  I can't think of what else to try!  Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

macetopher
What's DOS?
Views: 5,413
Message 2 of 7

Re: No sound on my X61

Funny you should ask, I just lost sound today. Worked fine last night, no issues otherwise, just no sound this morning. I am running Windows 7 RC build 7100, this is the first issue I've had. Anyone out there got any ideas? I'll keep looking around I guess. Will report back if I find anything.

macetopher
What's DOS?
Views: 5,408
Message 3 of 7

Well, that was quick. As far as Win7 RC is concerned, if you lose sound do the following. 

1. Play a song, video, whatever with sound.

2. Press volume controls (by ThinkVantage button)

3. Repeat until order is restored in the universe.

Good Day.

kharman777
Paper Tape
Views: 5,402
Message 4 of 7

Go figure.  After messing around with the buttons to the left of the ThinkVantage button, the BIOS, the driver, rebooting several times, disabling the sound card and enabling it again, it suddenly started working!  I've been trying to get my sound back for a month, and suddenly it works. 

I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but it would be nice to know what made it work again...

BobrDobr
What's DOS?
Views: 4,718
Message 5 of 7

Problem Solved

Same stuff here ThinkPad Xseries, x61s.

Suddenly sound disappeared. Didn't do anything.

Problem solved by pushing sound buttons near blue ThinkAdvantage buttons.

Seems to me, when you opening your note, You can casually touch, press the turn on/off sound button :-)

kharman777
Paper Tape
Views: 4,700
Message 6 of 7

Re: Problem Solved

Yes, well, the sound now works on everything except the internet.  No sound on YouTube or any other oline video.  Bummer!

Highlighted
michaelunibo
What's DOS?
Views: 31
Message 7 of 7

Re: An Easy Solution

Confucious says: What is the Sound of One Hand Clapping?

Have your headset or buds plugged into the speaker imput

Step One: Look at the 3 silver buttons to the left of the blue ThinkVantage bar

Step Two: Press the left button (a speaker symbol with a diagonal line through it 

Step Three: Press the middle button (a speaker symbol with a down arrow)

The sound should come on immediately.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors