cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 4,335
Message 1 of 14

Paint flaking off X220 tablet - how to resolve?

I'm having a pretty bad case of 'flaking paint' on my half year old X220 tablet, see images below. It's mostly a cosmetic issue, but all these flakes make a a bit of a mess in my house. Option 1: scrub all the paint off by hand. Option 2: replace case? It doesn't look like normal wear and tear to me, given that the paint on the lid is still on there just fine with not a single flake showing. Any suggestions? Would this be covered by warranty?

Link to picture

Link to picture

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

XThinkpadUser
Token Ring
Views: 4,319
Message 2 of 14

Re: Paint flaking off X220 tablet - how to resolve?

That's definitely a manufacturing defect, and should be covered by the warranty. I have ThinkPads from 1997 that haven't had a single bit of paint fleck off.
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 4,315
Message 3 of 14

Good to know. I should have thought about this before I had service come out to swap the motherboard on Friday. That's two manufacturing problems on this unit so far, not a great score. 'Factory ID: KS', apparently from Kunshan, Jiangsu, China. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,312
Message 4 of 14

just curious...

what did the service tech say after seeing the condition of the base?

cheers.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 4,307
Message 5 of 14

He was surprised to hear that this unit was less than a year old, and said he hadn't seen anything like it. Lucky me!

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 3,848
Message 6 of 14

Just to wrap this up:  after another few nights picking paint flakes off the couch I finally called tech support. The rep maintained that this was a cosmetic issue and not covered by warranty, despite my insistence that this problem was out of the ordinary. I then asked to speak to a supervisor, who told me that I would get a call from Lenovo (not sure which dept).

The person that called me the next day understood the issue, and hinted that there may have been a few similar cases. He did maintain that it could not be addressed on-site, despite my warranty having 'on-site' included. They sent a shipping box overnight, I sent the tablet (without SSD, battery, or pen, just to be safe) to the depot, they repaired and returned the next day, and I got the repaired tablet back the day after. Total downtime 3 days, not bad. Typing this from a 'good as new' X220t. 

All in all I'd give this experience a 7 out of 10 for handling. It was hard to convince the rep, they didn't honor 'on-site', and they put incomplete address info on the final return shipment, causing me to spend time on the phone with UPS. Glad it's back and fixed though. 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,837
Message 7 of 14

This look like as if chemical spill has emulsified the paint and then dried, or that the unit was exposed to excessive surface temperature.

But glad something something worked out for you in the end.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
thegoods
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,638
Message 8 of 14

This is an issue caused by a solvent (perhaps WD-40, degreaser, lubricant, etc.) which has seeped into and under the rubberized coating. The pattern of the flaking indicates that the coating was actually applied properly during manufacture but at some point later absorbed something that it should not have come into contact with. As the solvent evaporated, the coating shrank, leaving little cracked flakes partially detached from the chassis.

The substance in question was probably not of an industrial grade considering that the rubber feet appear to have incurred little or no damage.

This damage was not likely to be caused by heat, though it could have been exascerbated by it. All it took was the wrong chemical and time. At least a few hours would be necessary as well as enough solvent to dampen the coating.

The hints of straight lines and other shapes imply that the coating came into contact with some other surfaces at some point while the solvent was still evaporating out.

Coatings are applied before the assembly of the individual parts. Considering that the RAM door also has damage to the coating it is very easy to tell by the photos that the solvent was applied after assembly. Further, had this been caused by an incorrectly applied coating the decals would have come off first and the damage would be far more uniform. Instead, the decals acted as an extra layer of protection therby preserving the underlying rubberized coat.

I am not a Lenovo employee nor a polymer chemist...

But, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably not a manufacturing defect.

fortunemod loves you.
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 2,624
Message 9 of 14

@thegoods wrote:

I am not a Lenovo employee nor a polymer chemist...

But, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably not a manufacturing defect.

After such a thorough forensic analysis I was hoping to be presented with an alternate explanation. Any theories that don't involve me dousing my expensive tablet in WD40?

thegoods
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 895
Message 10 of 14

Whodunnit? I'm not actually concerned with those details. Was it necessarily wd-40? I don't know. Merely providing a possible culprit.

To clarify, I say that it's not a manufacturing defect because the damage almost certainly happened after the chassis was assembled. Does that mean that the damage did not happen at the factory? No, it doesn't. Does that mean that you caused the damage? No, it doesn't.

The immediacy of defensiveness in this particular case implies to me one of two things:

Your experience with your warrantee representatives made you feel as though you were to blame, which is a moot point considering the accidental damage coverage,

-or-

You actually did cause the damage but do not like to admit mistakes for fear of completely anonymous humiliation...

Also a moot point due to the accidental damage coverage.

For future reference, cosmetic damage would be scratches or marks on the coating. Any damage which affects the appearance of the machine is cosmetic damage, but is not necessarily MERELY cosmetic damage.

The coating has a purpose. It protects the chassis, makes it more grippable and prevents fingerprints and other slop form accumulating on the surface.

Big chips and scabs of coating chipping off of the chassis is not just cosmetic. The photos that you posted are more than enough evidence to demonstrate undesireable function of your machine's chassis.

"This is a peer-to-peer support community.  Please participate and share your experience and expertise with others."

If you want to get sassy, take is elsewhere.

fortunemod loves you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors