cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zeddammer
Paper Tape
Views: 5,281
Message 1 of 10

Pen calibration on a ThinkPad X220 Tablet (GorillaGlass version) with Windows 10

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a used X220 Tablet - the version with Gorilla Glass - and installed Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) on it.
What a great little computer this is!

But what disappointed me was the lack of precision of the pen that came with the tablet. Unfortunately I could not find a setting - or program - to calibrate the pen. On this forum I learned that a lot of owners have to deal with a pen that is not accurate.

On one of the posts I read it was mentioned that the digitizer in the X220 Tablet is made by Wacom, so I went their website for a recent drivers.

Luckily, I soon found an appropriate tool, the Wacom Hardware Check, on ftp://ftp.wacom-europe.com/pub/WINDOWS/WacomHardwareCheck.exe .

After downloading and running it, I was told:
"You have hardware that is compatible with the Wacom FEEL driver. You can download the latest driver here: http://www.wacom.com/feeldriver "

The URL led to a file on http://cdn.wacom.com/u/drivers/TabletPC/ISD_DualTouch_732-12.exe
The file is about 24 Mb in size. After downloading and installing it, I was able to calibrate the screen, with 25(!) calibration points. Accuracy is great now; not only in landscape, but also in portrait mode!

Since I found no reference on this forum to the Wacom FEEL driver in combination with the X220 Tablet running on Windows 10, I thought it might be interesting to others in this forum.

Cheers!

Kmanflickr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,864
Message 2 of 10

Re: Pen calibration on a ThinkPad X220 Tablet (GorillaGlass version) with Windows 10

thanks for sharing this info, I just bought one and thinking about taking your route to upgrade from 7 to 10. Just wondering did you do an upgrade from 7 to 10 or you did a clean install? Did you get any error during install aside from this calibration issue?  

Zeddammer
Paper Tape
Views: 4,862
Message 3 of 10

Re: Pen calibration on a ThinkPad X220 Tablet (GorillaGlass version) with Windows 10

I did a clean install. Had no problems during the installation.

Last week I co-installed the latest version of macOS (see http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com for the details) and guess what: the digitizer works there too! I now have a 'Macbook' that doubles as a macOS pen tablet. Apple never made such a device...

The downside: I again have a problem with calibration, and haven't found any macOS software so far that may help solve the problem.

Kmanflickr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,851
Message 4 of 10

Owww that's pretty geeky hackingtosh situation. I actually run/ran windows 8.1 and 10 on virtualbox in sierra osx environment in my mac pro. To be honest I deleted the windows 10 as it does not sit that well in virtualbox environment. Not to mention I have not owned a pc laptop in a long time. Thanks for your tips, it would definitely help me to ease into the ownership love hate relationship with pc again. So clean install is the best way to go about it and once installed just fine tune with wacom feel. By any chance you refreshed the bios to 1.42 from 1.4 before install? Did your x220 come with bluetooth? 

Kmanflickr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,819
Message 5 of 10

thanks again for your help. Windows 10 install worked out just great! It was clean install. 

Johnw1234
Punch Card
Views: 4,759
Message 6 of 10

This has solved a small problem I had.  I have touch and pen control but only single finger touch under Winaows 10 AU Pro. Now with this driver I have dual fingel touch which is a huge improvement.  Thank you for posting.

Mister-T
Paper Tape
Views: 4,216
Message 7 of 10

Hello, I just bought a x220 Tablet but my touchscreen doesn't work at all. I bought de computer with  Windows 10 installed on it. I just used WacomhardwareCheck and it gave the message: 'your hardware does not appear input capabilities and is not currently supported by the Wacom FEEL driver'.

So, does this mean my touchscreen is broken and doesn't work? Is there a hardware problem? How can I see if the touchscreen is registered by Windows?

it would be great if someone could help me to get this thing working... I think the touchscreen makes this an interesting machine...

Johnw1234
Punch Card
Views: 4,199
Message 8 of 10

The GorillaGlass version does not have touch. It does support the pen. You will need to DL the Wacom drivers for it from this website http://www.wacom.com/en-at/support/product-support/drivers

bmorthorst
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,654
Message 9 of 10

unfortunately, this made my calibrating even worse! Smiley Sad 

Guru
Views: 3,496
Message 10 of 10

You can always try calibrating again. Remember that if you calibrate for one display orientation it might not work as well in a different display orientation due to the parallax issue.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors