Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wavewarrior
What's DOS?
Views: 2,400
Message 1 of 8

Plug In Headphones or External Speakers & Only The Left One Works

Have you guys ever had this issue? I'm running Vista Business edition, have installed every possible Windows and system update, reset the computer, checked the sound driver-it's the latest and did not have the option to update it. I checked all the sound controls and they are exactly where they should be.

Basically what happens is the built in speakers work just fine, equal sound out of both. Use the audio jack on the laptop and only the left one works. I plugged in three different sets of headphones and one set of external speakers, and every time only the left one would work. The right speaker was just dead. Unplug them, and the computer speakers work just fine.

Please help, I watch a lot of videos and listen to music on this great machine. I really hope I don't have to send it back for a new one four days after getting it!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,396
Message 2 of 8

Re: Plug In Headphones or External Speakers & Only The Left One Works

this is usually means that the pin contact in your headphone port is not in electrical contact with your headphone plug in. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
wavewarrior
What's DOS?
Views: 2,391
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your fast response. I've made sure the pin was in as deep as it would go every time with each different device I plugged in. So, your answer makes it sound like a hardware problem with the audio jack itself; would that be correct? 

If so, can this be replaced or do I have to replace an entire computer over a couple dollar jack? I hope that's not the case on such a pro-level machine, but I've been wrong before. 

Views: 2,383
Message 4 of 8

yes it would be a hardware problem, if you are replacing the jack, which is usually phsyically soldered to the motherboard, instead i would get a PCMCIA, Expresscard or USB sound card instead, which is far cheaper. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,381
Message 5 of 8

Since the machine is only four days old, I recommend using the warranty.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Views: 2,379
Message 6 of 8

if you have warranty then let the Lenovo fix the problem for you. 

Regards,

Jin Li

wavewarrior
What's DOS?
Views: 2,371
Message 7 of 8

Yep, I think you guys called it-I'll use the warranty. Bummer, I just got it all set up for work-is there any way I can clone the computer for really fast setup when the new one arrives?

Just for fun and for the general knowledge base of this board, in case anyone else runs into this issue that does not have a warranty on their x301, the mic in and headphone jack card is modular and able to be replaced. It's a bear, but can be done. I went pretty deep into the hardware manual. 

Thank you for all your help so far.

AGoodSolution
802.11n
Views: 2,332
Message 8 of 8

You need to truly eliminate the software variable and boot a recent Knoppix or compaitble distro to determine if the behavior is replicated within an alternative operating system.

It takes less time to download a distro and burn it to a CD then it will take to replicate your hard drive and you don't have to include your HDD since a hardware flaw is determinable w/o YOUR os and all of YOUR data enclosed the deck.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors