Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbclamence
Paper Tape
Views: 2,222
Message 1 of 13

Problem following X61T LCD replacement

I recently had on-site service to replace the front bezel of my X61T (7764-CTO, Vista, SXGA+).  The technician also replaced the LCD, although this was not something specifically requested.  Since then, I've been having a number of problems with my tablet:

- The digitizer is completely nonfunctional.  There is no response when I touch the digitizer to the screen--not even a change in the cursor.  It seems unlikely to me that the problem is with the pen, since inking worked fine before the LCD replacement and there has been no damage to the pen. 

- The tablet buttons work intermittently, if at all.  I have reinstalled drivers a number of times, but have rarely gotten the buttons to function. However, because I have gotten some response from them (especially the small button that brings up the security options), I'm led to believe that it may not be a hardware issue.

- The keyboard is sometimes unresponsive, but I have found interesting ways around this.  When I wake the computer from sleep by opening the lid, the keyboard does not respond.  But it works fine if I then press any of the tablet buttons.  (I wonder if this is some kind of keyboard lock feature that I accidentally activated).  It also stops responding sometimes while I am using the computer--this is again resolved by pressing a tablet button.  These problems--at least when waking from sleep--seem to go away when I set the computer to hibernate when closing the lid instead of sleep.  (I can work around this keyboard issue, but I hope describing it might provide some helpful diagnostic information).

- I restored the computer to factory settings using rescue and recovery, but this has not helped.  I did, however, disable a number of features that some users have said are unnecessary.  Is it possible that I disabled something necessary for tablet functionality?

Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated, whether it be other drivers to try or anything else.  I have seen some similar issues described on the forums and other sites, but have not yet found an answer that has worked for me.

Thanks,

jbclamence

chimp_on_a_T61
Punch Card
Views: 2,216
Message 2 of 13

Re: Problem following X61T LCD replacement

I wonder if the technician used a tablet LCD panel for the replacment?    It would be difficult to tell by looking.  Also, there must be a connector/ cable for the wacom tablet functions - and for the tablet buttons - maybe they were not reconnected properly.  Happening just after disassembly, I tend to think it is hardware-related... another service call.  And make sure it is all working before he leaves.
Guru
Views: 2,201
Message 3 of 13

@chimp_on_a_T61:

You can't be serious...

a) Only 12" LCDs with SXGA+ resolution are tablet LCDs...at least when it comes to Lenovo.

b) Anyone not being able to immediately spot the difference between standard TN panel and an AFFS one would have to be severely visually impaired.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
chimp_on_a_T61
Punch Card
Views: 2,189
Message 4 of 13

a) Only 12" LCDs with SXGA+ resolution are tablet LCDs...at least when it comes to Lenovo.

wrong - also offered on the X200 non-tablet - see the parts list.

b) Anyone not being able to immediately spot the difference between standard TN panel and an AFFS one would have to be severely visually impaired.

exactly!

but you are correct - very unlikely - more likely the digitizer either is defective or not hooked up properly - separate cable for the buttons also.  Just doesn't seem like it would be a software problem if the same OEM parts were installed...

Guru
Views: 2,184
Message 5 of 13

@chimp_on_a_T61:

Would you care to elaborate how a widescreen unit (X200) can possibly have a SXGA+ LCD?

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
chimp_on_a_T61
Punch Card
Views: 2,174
Message 6 of 13

oops - looking at the wrong parts list.  You  are correct.  Anyway, what do you think about his problem - could it be software/ driver related after a hardware swap for the same parts?
jbclamence
Paper Tape
Views: 2,170
Message 7 of 13

@chimp_on_a_T61: the whole thing is rather puzzling to me because of the way I can resolve some issues and not others (ie, tablet buttons and keboard are sometimes unresponsive, but pressing a tablet buttons restores keyboard functionality).  It makes sense to me tht the digitizer may not be correctly connected, but the fact that pressing a usually otherwise unresponsive tablet button restores keyboard functionality suggests something software-related to me.  Other users have documented instances when their tablets stopped working, so I'm wondering if they were able to resolve their problems with software fixes or if the problem usually turned out to be a faulty digitizer.
Guru
Views: 2,157
Message 8 of 13

If you have a media drive, I'd try running a "live" Linux CD and see whether the problems persist there. Quite a few distros support pen nowadays...

Should similar symptoms appear in Linux, you have a hardware problem. If Linux sails smoothly, there's a driver issue within Windows.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

George

chimp_on_a_T61
Punch Card
Views: 2,144
Message 9 of 13

That is a great suggestion by aj - I am going to dl the lates Ubuntu live and try it, just for fun.  My main concern is that my media drive is so sloooowwww.... in the Ultrabay.  I may wait until I get the 32 g usb drive I have ordered and try it from that.  Depending on how much stuff you have on your tablet, you could also try a restore-to-factory from the partition, or recovery disks.  That should definitively clear up whether or not your hardware is in original factory configuration.

UPDATE:  I tried Ubuntu live 8.10 - does not support tablet function out of the box, and will need some tweaking.  Instructions are here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=24553 .  I don't think you can do it with a live cd - might want to look for another distro if you choose this path.

Message Edited by chimp_on_a_T61 on 03-21-2009 04:52 PM
joelz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,693
Message 10 of 13

I just received my X60T back after a display replacement (Part#
13N7224).  Now the pen doesn't work and I have a Code 10 error with
"Wacom Penabled Dual Touch"; under HID in Device Mgr.

I took out the hard drive before sending out for repair, so the software is
frozen.  I did get a prompt for new hardware driver the first time I
booted the machine after getting it back. I've downloaded and installed the
current drivers for Multitouch, Tablet Button, Tablet Shortcut, Hot Keys, Video
and even BIOS.  The driver prompt is gone, but the Code 10 for the touch
screen stays and I still can't use the stylus.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors