cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcpro
Punch Card
Views: 4,797
Message 1 of 15

Problems with Lenovo Service & X61 Tablet (776796U) purchased through Authorized Reseller...

I would like to first say that I have had very good experiences with ThinkPad notebooks in the past. I have enjoyed using many different Lenovo models and felt this X61t model would be the best choice when buying a full featured, well built, small, and powerful Tablet PC... I had read all the reviews, checked pricing and availability, ordered from an Authorized Reseller, and looked forward to using my new Tablet PC... Lenovo has consistently provided some of the best computers and service in the marketplace... That being said...

I recently purchased a new x61 Tablet through an eBay Seller (Authorized Reseller) who has been very difficult to deal with... The computer was drop shipped using Ingram Micro... When I opened the box and inspected the contents I immediately suspected the system had been refurbished as the screen was dusty and the power adapter seemed to be wrapped up by someone in a hurry... The computer smelled burnt, and the fingerprint reader didn't work when the power adapter was plugged in. Because I also purchased the 3 year warranty, I have been spending a lot of time on the phone trying to get the defective device replaced... So far, Lenovo Service has generated 5 trouble tickets, sent wrong parts and I still don't have use of the fingerprint reader... I have not opened the system to perform the needed repairs in fear of voiding the warranty... It would seem reasonable to me that this system should be replaced as it was sent from the factory in a defective state... The system has been carefully repackaged and I am now waiting to see if this system will be replaced by Lenovo.

Purchase Date - 6/17, Build Date - 6/18, Delivered - 6/26

eBay Item - 160252766781, eBay Seller - bunnypan (Viva-Revol Corp., Tulsa, OK)

Update - Tuesday 7/8/08 @ 11:37 PST: I have been in contact with Lenovo Sales Rep - Rowan (416), Service Supervisor - Darma J. (Atlanta, GA), CMT - Surge M. (770), and Customer Satisfaction Operations - Greg B. (919) | Authorized Reseller has sent an email message indicating that I should contact IBM DOA department in order to obtain replacement on (7/7)... At this time I have been issued a case number (AA5278) by Greg B. related to a possible exchange... Last communicated with Greg B. on Tuesday (7/8)... Greg B has asked for additional information regarding this system. I sent him everything that he requested...

Update - Thursday 7/10/08 @ 16:15 PST: Greg B. called today... The exchange process is going forward!!! The current delay in shipping new orders is around 10 days... So, it looks like I might be receiving a replacement within the next two weeks. Greg will let me know how and when a replacement will be provided.

Update - Monday 7/14/08 @ 9:37 PST: Greg just called to confirm that the defective system will be replaced... I will receive return labels for the DOA machine and shortly after that will receive the replacement system... Greg assured me that the replacement will be the exact model/spec as the DOA and will be covered by the same 3 year warranty. Cross your fingers...

Update - Sunday 7/20/08 @ 20:13 PST: After sending an update request via email on Friday...  Greg was able to respond and let me know the tracking numbers related to the return labels.  I should receive the return labels Monday.  Unfortunately, he was not able to provide a firm date for the arrival of the replacement system.  He indicated that he had the information on Thursday, but that the email was deleted and his trash folder was also cleared...  He said I should receive updated information regarding the replacement Monday or Tuesday...

Replacement Received!!!  Monday 7/21/08: Everything on the replacement system seems to work fine...  Only one problem...  They forgot the stylus!

Message Edited by pcpro on 07-22-2008 01:17 PM
Guru
Views: 4,784
Message 2 of 15

Re: Worst customer service

Welcome to the forum, pcpro!

Unless your eBay source is an authorized Lenovo reseller/business partner, I believe that you're facing an uphill battle, and with quite a few good reasons...btw, Lenovo ships UPS, not FedEx.

Who's to say (just an assumption) that machine had not been handled inappropriately before it came to your possession?

As for Samsung and Fujitsu parts, where have you been? These two were major suppliers even in IBM days, going back to A3x/T30 at least...and that was 2002... 

I've been advising people not to buy stuff like this on eBay for a long time now, and your story is a mild one compared to many I had heard over the years...for a brand new unit, one should always go straight to the source, be it mainstream Lenovo, or Outlet. 

I do hope that your issues will get resolved and this won't turn into a costly lesson on your part.

Good luck and keep us informed 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
sipp11
802.11n
Views: 4,764
Message 3 of 15

@pcpro wrote:

When did Lenovo start using sub standard Fujitsu drives and low quality Samsung memory in there systems???  I was under the impression they used better parts and  components; Hitachi drives and Micron memory...

Dan

How could you think if Fujitsu hard drive as sub standard one? And how do you that Samsung Memory is low quality?

I mean that's really obvious that you have no idea what top 2 semiconductor suppliers in the world are and you have no idea that a good RAM is not identified by brand, but how good its timing is. Any companies sell hi-end, mid-end, and low-end products; you just can't expect low-end Micron memory to beat hi-end Samsung memory. It's just like that. Also, Fujitsu drive might not be the fastest, but it is indeed pretty good one.

Anyway, about you situation, I hope you & lenovo could work out soon. For eBay seller you mentioned, I saw he has such a good feedback, I think you might need to leave him a bit lower to let other people know as well. I'm really surprised that you bought X61 Tablet with 3-yr warranty through eBay. I mean if you choose to pay for that high price (3-yr warranty) why don't you just buy directly from Lenovo? As Ajkula said, there is always an issue when buying expensive electronic stuffs via eBay.

pcpro
Punch Card
Views: 4,748
Message 4 of 15

Problems with Lenovo Service & X61 Tablet (776796U) purchased through Authorized Reseller...

Message Edited by pcpro on 07-07-2008 09:52 PM
Highlighted
Guru
Views: 4,660
Message 5 of 15

You should be all set if they are an Authorized Reseller...

Personally, although I've been buying and selling on eBay for years now, I'd have a huge problem dishing out what you've paid for that X61T to anyone there, but to each his/hers own... 

X61T is a fine ThinkPad indeed, I hope that you'll get to enjoy yours at last.

Keep us in the loop. 

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,586
Message 6 of 15

PCPRO,

I'm sorry to hear of your problem, but I have to ask, why didn't you return this item to the seller as soon as you saw that it was used and not NIB as described?

I fail to see why you've gotten Lenovo involved in this matter.

Regards,

James
Punch Card
Views: 4,561
Message 7 of 15

I have tried many times to return this system through the Reseller... He has insisted that I work with Lenovo Service to resolve any "buggy" component problems. That position is not acceptable to me... This Authorized Seller has washed his hands of any responsibility... He has taken my money and delivered a defective system.
Message Edited by pcpro on 07-07-2008 09:57 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,551
Message 8 of 15

I hope you can get this resolved with Ingram or the seller to your satisfaction.

Please keep us advised how this plays out. 

Regards,

James
Punch Card
Views: 4,459
Message 9 of 15

Re: Problems with Lenovo Service & X61 Tablet (776796U) purchased through Authorized Reseller...

Message Edited by pcpro on 07-10-2008 04:27 PM
Guru
Views: 4,453
Message 10 of 15

Re: Problems with Lenovo Service & X61 Tablet (776796U) purchased through Authorized Reseller...

If you've paid by credit card (or CC-backed PayPal) it's time for a chargeback...and then the seller will talk to you, and then some.
Cheers,

George