Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrch
Punch Card
Views: 12,498
Message 2 of 71

Re: Lenovo Helix Touch Screen Malfunctioning

Hi from germany,

i have exacly the same problem here. I bought the identical helix system with i7 and 8gb. Sadly i have the same issues. The touchscreen started to be unresponsive and/or laggy, all over the screen. Then somehow it started to make phantomtouches on one point again and again. This phantomtouches are fighting with the stylus,trackpad and sometimes touches of my hand. Needless to say that the rate of phantomtouches is that high that you can't win the fight. 

I tried recalibration, driver updates, windowsupdates, did a rollback (2x) and reseted the whole Helix Thinkpad to the original delivery status. After doing the reset via windows the notebook rebooted and .... the phantomtouch was right on the exact same point as before. Even before i could register my pcname and so on.

Not to mention that this error accured in tablet and notebookmode. Sometimes the phantomtouches stopped, but they just returned 5minutes later.

Would love to see a solution there.

Tony31
Paper Tape
Views: 12,793
Message 1 of 71

Lenovo Helix Touch Screen Malfunctioning

I received my Helix (36984SU, i7, 8gb RAM, 256 gb HD) approximately 10 days ago.  Over the weekend I began to experience malfunctioning of the touch screen when using in tablet mode.  At first there was a single vertical section of the touch screen that was unresponsive.  Now, the problem has spread to the entire touch screen although the bottom half (when held in landscape) is basically inoperable - the screen detects "phantom" touches and very inaccurate real touches (as shown below).  Squeezing the bezel around the screen seems to cause more phantom touches to be detected.

The stylus works fine although it tends to battle with the touch screen because the touch screen is constantly detecting "phantom" touches.

Also, I just re-docked the tablet last night and found that the touch-pad mouse also gets stuck in the bottom left of the screen but is released after about 10 seconds of being docked.  This may be due to fighting with the touch screen as well.

I tried re-calibrating but I can't even hit the targets given in the re-calibration tool due to the inaccuracy.

As you can see in the image below, I drew the red arrows with the stylus and then I went back and traced the red arrows with my finger thus producing the green lines with the touch screen.

I also created a couple videos of the malfunction in action:

Click to see youtube video of malfunction

Click to see youtube video of malfunction 2

Needless to say I just submitted an RMA through the supplier but I thought I would post on here because I have seen the Lenovo moderators interested in rectifying first-time issues like this through Lenovo directly rather going back through the distributor (cdw.ca). Please help!

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Seewolf
Punch Card
Views: 12,393
Message 3 of 71

I have the same model, but not the same problems.

My problem ist that when I start the helix with the pen in the tablet and put it out a few minutes later,  the pen is stuck in the left upper corner (not always!). Touch screen is still working fine. 

If I restart the helix, pen is working fine.

I think this is a driver issue.

norsten
Punch Card
Views: 12,374
Message 4 of 71

@mrch wrote:

Hi from germany,

i have exacly the same problem here. I bought the identical helix system with i7 and 8gb. Sadly i have the same issues. The touchscreen started to be unresponsive and/or laggy, all over the screen. Then somehow it started to make phantomtouches on one point again and again. This phantomtouches are fighting with the stylus,trackpad and sometimes touches of my hand. Needless to say that the rate of phantomtouches is that high that you can't win the fight. 

I tried recalibration, driver updates, windowsupdates, did a rollback (2x) and reseted the whole Helix Thinkpad to the original delivery status. After doing the reset via windows the notebook rebooted and .... the phantomtouch was right on the exact same point as before. Even before i could register my pcname and so on.

Not to mention that this error accured in tablet and notebookmode. Sometimes the phantomtouches stopped, but they just returned 5minutes later.

Would love to see a solution there.

Hi, I have been having the same problem as you  -its appears to be a hardware fault  (I had to twist the device lightly to remove it)  I did actually try disabling the touch screen driver  (by going to the  Control Panel and disabling one of the "Human Interface Devices" one at a time until the touch screen no longer worked). I really need to call a lenovo technician though really as the twisting the device every now and then is not ideal solution.

ryanpm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,277
Message 5 of 71

I have this same problem.
Tony31
Paper Tape
Views: 12,236
Message 6 of 71

Twisting my tablet body also seems to temporarily improve/change the symptoms. However, I can't seem to get them to go away completely. I called Lenovo tech, described the symptoms and he very quickly told me I needed to send it back through warranty department (didn't even attempt to trouble shoot). After telling him I had purchased it only 10 days prior, he said to send it back through the distributor. I am still waiting on my return request to be processed by CDW.
mrch
Punch Card
Views: 12,233
Message 7 of 71

Also called the support. No try of fixing the problem - straight exchange via distributor.

Former Administrator
Views: 12,193
Message 8 of 71

Tony,

You are right that we are interested in these kinds of issues and would like to work with you, especially as it seems a few others are experiencing something similar.

If you haven't sent back to CDW yet, could you send me a private message with your contact info, and the type and serial number of the unit?

Also, could you clarify if this happens on battery, or when AC is connected or either?

Thanks!

Mark

thekidd7
Punch Card
Views: 12,084
Message 9 of 71

same here...a restart fixes it and sometimes playing with redocking and undocking, as well as rotating. above this, sometimes, it doesn't turn on. :/ hopefully an update is coming soon!

bamaster
Punch Card
Views: 12,038
Message 10 of 71

Mine did it a coupe times.  I cleaned the screen with computer screen wipes, dried it off real well, and it went away.  Perhaos there was something on the screen that was causing a false touch?  Certainly can't hurt to clean your screen and see if that helps. 

Lenovo Thinkpad Helix
i7 | 8GB | 256 GB
Plugable UD-3000 Docking Station | Ogio case

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors