5 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 41 of 72

Re: Lenovo Helix Touch Screen Malfunctioning

2013-10-25, 10:02 AM

Hi from Austria!

Same issue here.

Phantom touch as described - it's not possible to work with that device.

The described "Touch screen update tool" didn't work on my Helix.

I've had this error since the second week. My Helix was at the repair centre for two weeks - no help from them. No support - nothing. The just updated some driver and didn't even notice the touch - problem.

A notebook at this price with this support - no more!

I'm curious about the solution!

Markus

Options

12 Posts

05-27-2013

United States

24 Signins

229 Page Views

• Views: 229
  • Message 42 of 72

2013-10-25, 15:55 PM

Running the latest bios (1.16) on a 3698-4SU, I performed a complete reimage from the official recovery disc's.

When I tried to run the Touch Screen Update Tool (release date: 01 Oct 2013) I also receive the same error:

"This update is either not necessary or not applicable to your system."

This same error occurred after performing all Windows updates and driver updates (via Lenovo's official "System Update" application). 

I then upgraded the freshly updated reimage to Windows 8.1 and again received the same error from the "Touch Screen Update Tool".

The Helix has been both a hardware and software train wreck for me.

It is unlikely that I will ever purchase another tablet-PC from Lenovo again.

Options

22 Posts

07-04-2013

USA

62 Signins

898 Page Views

• Views: 898
  • Message 43 of 72

2013-12-23, 0:52 AM

Hi guys/gals,

i just got my helix screen replaced at a service center due to bright white spots appearing near the center of the screen. Now, it appears that there are phantom touches whenever the tablet is docked. This makes it impossible to use the computer since it interfere with the mouse cursor. So, i have confirmed that in my case the phantom touches appear only when docked to the keyboard, as i can undock it and the phantom touch goes away. Also, the only way to use the tablet with the dock is by having the screen/tablet  tilted at the maximum angle. If i try any other angle, the touches apear at the center of the screen.

So i presume that something must be applying pressure to the screen when docked. Could it be the tablet mount brackets?
Anyone have any idea?

Options

3 Posts

01-07-2014

Australia

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 44 of 72

2014-01-07, 23:49 PM

I have a Helix corei7 with the same issue. 

Looks to be a problem with the tablet flexing. Twisting the tablet seems to help for me as well. 

I was surprised how much it will twist. 

Options

3 Posts

01-07-2014

Australia

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 45 of 72

2014-01-24, 4:32 AM

Just wanted to expand further on this issue that still has no solution. I hope Lenovo support are reading this. 

I took a quick look at my friends Helix and compared with my own. 

Her Helix had the same level of flex however when I twisted hers a little bit the touch malfunction didn't appear. 

This means that it may not be a design flaw as such but instead that something has actually come loose. 

The issue can be seen by twisting the tablet part around if I need to reproduce it however its at the stage where I cant even hold the tablet part with one hand before the touch malfunction occurs. 

Is lenovo support still investigating this?

Options

3 Posts

08-08-2013

austria

5 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 46 of 72

2014-01-24, 9:13 AM

Hi!

My Helix has been repaired from Lenovo (it took 3 weeks) 2 month ago. They changed the screen - it looks more stable now.

But sometimes the phantom touch still appears again (by holding the tablet at the corners for example).The difference now - it disappear (only one time I had to restart the helix).

Beside that the helix is a wonderful product - I can use it know.

Markus

Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 47 of 72

2014-01-31, 15:40 PM

All,

As covered, please try to install the firmware update http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS037644

Since this was introduced into manufacturing some time again, it may not install on newer systems.   If you already have this, or have installed it and still experience abnormal touch screen functions, especially related to normal handling fo the systems, please contact service.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

3 Posts

01-07-2014

Australia

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 48 of 72

2014-03-03, 21:41 PM
As already discussed the firmware doesn't work.

Mine was also repaired by Lenovo.

The repair sheet says replaced touch screen.

I have had a long while to think about this even though it's fixed so that it doesn't happen again.

Looking closely at the tablet I think it's very susceptible to moisture. The screen has many gaps around it unlike other tablets. It's quite possible even something as simple as a cloth dampened with screen cleaner could result in moisture getting under the glass.

This could explain why twisting the tablet fixes or reproduces the error. You could imagine the trapped moisture pushing back and forth.

Water bubbles play havoc with capacitive touch screens. I've even seen my iPhone screen respond erratically when a big raindrop accidentally splashes on it.

So maybe if it is moisture then try placing the tablet part of the helix in a bag of rice for a night or two and see if the rice can draw out the moisture for you.

Anyways worth a try.

Good luck guys!
Options

1 Posts

03-28-2014

Auckland, New Zealand

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 49 of 72

2014-03-28, 7:51 AM

I also have this problem, just started today.  I've had my Helix about 12 months.  A month ago, the stylus stopped working. The local New Zealand service agents took 2 attempts and almost 3 weeks to fix it - it came back firstly with the stylus working but not the touchscreen, now that's fixed.  But suddenly after a few hours of work today, its started a new problem - the phantom mouse.  I can see it always about 30% of the way across from the left of the screen and halfway down.  Always there.  Browsing the web is terrible because it seems to pinch/zoom when you are simply trying to work through a webpage.

I love the machine but I HATE the service.  If this cant be fixed soon, then I'll be switching to a Surface Pro or similar

My machine is an i7/8Gb unit - fully patched, latest firmware, latest Lenovo & Windows updates, latest AV etc.

Options

1 Posts

05-10-2014

Australia

1 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 50 of 72

2014-05-10, 4:26 AM

I bought four Thinkpad Helix for my family through my supplier.  Within two weeks Two of the screens started producing phantom touches, intermittent at first and within a week on almost a permanent basis rendering the units unusable. After a week of discussions with my supplier, Lenovo finally agreed it was a hardware issue and picked them up for repair.  The screens were replaced, it took three weeks.

After 6 months a third screen has stopped responding to touch although it does respond to stylus. Lenovo debated with my supplier for a week that it was a software issue before finally agreeing it was a hardware issue and has picked up the unit for repair.  It has been with Lenovo for a week.

Five months after replacement one of the replaced screens has again started generating intermittent phantom touches.  

For me the availability of these units for tertiary students with assement commitments and myself for work commitments is so bad that they are a liability. I have requested my supplier seek a refund from Lenovo as it unacceptable to have units  away for three weeks every 6 months.

I have been using this supplier for 12 years and I have never had to return a single product they supplied until they reccomended I change to Lenovo having used other brands in the past. 

Lenovo should admit there is a widespread fault with the screens of the Thinkpad Helix and and replace customers units immediately on first presentation of this issue rather than leave them without a computer for 4 weeks.  

When running the unit is fantastic however the availability issue is impossible to accomodate and it is difficult to justify further purchases from Lenovo unless a fast turnaround replacement policy is implemented for the Helix units presenting with this issue which is clearly very wide spread across many countries and over a long period of time. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete