Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luxferre
Paper Tape
Views: 693
Message 1 of 10

Recovery Partition after swapping SSDs

Hi,

I just purchased a new x380, and the first thing I did was to swap out the ssd (had a much bigger one on hand, original SSD is 128, I had a 512 on hand)

I cloned the old drive to the new one, and then moved the recovery partition to the end of the drive (as setup in the original)

Using the "Remove everything" command in reset seems to have returned the C drive to the factory settings. However, I do not know if updating windows 10 will continue to update the recovery partition.

I am wondering:

a. How do I find out if I have or have not lost use of the recovery partiton

b. If so how do I reactivate it since it's been cloned over to the new SSD

I've looked around and doesn't seem to have old posts asking the same question.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 658
Message 2 of 10

Re: Recovery Partition after swapping SSDs

You can download a single copy of recovery image for free using this link. Regarding your current installation, there's no longer a dedicated recovery partition (additional partition have a different use). Instead, Windows build-in feature is used for recovery. Most (if not all) files are kept in C:\Recovery directory. To verify if recovery is intact, try to create a USB recovery disk.

------
Luxferre
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. My goal was to keep the recovery partition in tact and functional. Is there any way to do that? I still have the original SSD untouched.

Also, when you mentioned downloading the recovery image. Could I possibly turn that into a recovery partition?

Thanks
Guru
Views: 639
Message 4 of 10

@Luxferre wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. My goal was to keep the recovery partition in tact and functional. Is there any way to do that? I still have the original SSD untouched.

There's only a recovery feature in Windows 10 - recovery partition have a different size and use than before. Microsoft prepared a nice article regarding it. Can't say if recovery feature is still working - never checked it after cloning. You'll need to verify it yourself. The easiest way is to create a recovery USB media. Is something got corrupted, USB media won't be created. If you want to be 100% sure, then you'll need to restore your laptop to factory condition using recovery feature. Go to Settings and then Recovery.

@Luxferre wrote:
Also, when you mentioned downloading the recovery image. Could I possibly turn that into a recovery partition?

Well, basically this is the real recovery partition, as you can restore any X380 from it. In order to use it, you have to deploy it on USB media and then boot recovery process from it. Can't say, if you could simply copy the files to one of partitions and use it in that way.

------
Luxferre
Paper Tape
Views: 618
Message 5 of 10

Thanks again.

The article is a bit too technical for me... But I assume I am talking about the recovery partition as mentioned in this article (in the nice and easy to understand picture there lol), if I'm not using the correct technical terms

As for the recovery feature. Do you mean when I restart using "Remove Everything" in the windows 10 reset? If that's the case then yes I'm getting a fresh copy of windows 10 with all the lenovo addons. (I'm just not sure if this is proof that the recovery partition is in tact and fully functional)

Thanks again
Guru
Views: 614
Message 6 of 10

@Luxferre wrote:
As for the recovery feature. Do you mean when I restart using "Remove Everything" in the windows 10 reset? If that's the case then yes I'm getting a fresh copy of windows 10 with all the lenovo addons. (I'm just not sure if this is proof that the recovery partition is in tact and fully functional)

Yes, in that case recovery feature is fully functional.

------
Luxferre
Paper Tape
Views: 600
Message 7 of 10

So if that partition wasn't working, then all i would get when I restore is a generic windows copy without the lenovo software?

Guru
Views: 590
Message 8 of 10

Well, if partition won't be working, then you won't be able to restore anything - all recovery data are stored on C: partition. 

------
Luxferre
Paper Tape
Views: 585
Message 9 of 10

I thought the function to "Remove Everything" in the windows 10 reset was native to windows 10? It's the function to restore windows 10 to the condition when it was first installed.
Guru
Views: 569
Message 10 of 10

Yes, it's a native feature and only recovery feature available for Windows 10. As I said before, there's no recovery partition like it was for e.g. Windows 7.

------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors