Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quantitativepm
Paper Tape
Views: 3,755
Message 1 of 6

Red Vertical Line Disappears When Pressed Then Re-Appears

I have a vertical red line on my display.  It does not appear on the external monitor.  Sometimes it is two pixels wide, sometimes one.  When I press on it with some force (not just a light touch) it sometimes changes thickness or disappears, but returns with either one or two pixel thickness when I release pressure.

I hae a Lenovo x201 Tablet (0831CTO) Multi-Touch display wih a 6QET68WW (1.38) BIOS.

TIA

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,749
Message 2 of 6

Re: Red Vertical Line Disappears When Pressed Then Re-Appears

The problem is something called a column driver. There is a connection to every column of pixels on your screen. If you have a wxga screen, there are 1280 of them. The connection is made by a strip of tape with contacts, that is held against the back of the panel by the adhesive between the contacts. Sometimes, the tape works its way loose due to age or vibration. It can be strained through incorrect routing of cables, etc during assembly or repair. It can also come loose if the screen is hit or strained. The "fix" is to replace the screen. If it is under warranty, I suggest calling Lenovo.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
quantitativepm
Paper Tape
Views: 3,744
Message 3 of 6

Thank you.

Aack.  Now there are several lines.

My laptop's warantee just expired a few months ago.

I must say, I've owned several IBM laptops over the past fifteen years and I've never had a workmanship problem like this.

Can I open the thing up and reattach the connection?  Can I have it repaired rather than replaced?

quantitativepm
Paper Tape
Views: 3,666
Message 4 of 6

Page 103 of this document provides dissassembly instructions:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-70830

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,660
Message 5 of 6

I have tried to repair these by taking the panel out and gently pressing the cablle in the affected area, but I have had little success.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
shawn1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,280
Message 6 of 6

"The "fix" is to replace the screen."

I have this problem, my laptop is not within warranty, a new screen is expensive, for now, a folded piece of paper inserted behind the plastic fascia pressing on the place that has come unstuck is solving the problem, it moves sometimes and needs putting back in the right place again, but it works well enough.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals