Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovojp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,000
Message 1 of 13

Reformatting X201 Tablet

Hey everyone, I ran Factory Recovery Disks in the thinkvantage tools and made both the Boot Disk and the Data Discs. I used a CD-RW disc and the Boot Disc was copied onto 1 disc, and the Data Discs consist of 14 discs. 

My thought was that if I turn on my computer, push the blue thinkvantage button and then boot from my CD drive (in my ultrabay) it would take me to a Rescue and Recovery menu where I can then reformat my harddrive, and reload the machine back to factory settings, however what happened when I booted from my CD drive, was that it just started back up as normal.

I've been at this since last night, and there is very little resources, I have absolutely no idea how to reformat my laptop. Please help.

Edit: When I booted from the CD drive, I was of course, using the Boot Disc that I had copied. I haven't done anything with the Data Discs as of yet.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,983
Message 2 of 13

Re: Reformatting X201 Tablet

set your machine's device boot order in bios. make sure that the optical drive is above the hdd. you will not need to press the blue ThinkVantage button during the boot sequence.

hth.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

lenovojp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,962
Message 3 of 13

Hi, I have already set the boot order. 

Since last update, this is what has happened, I wiped out my HDD using DBAN, then used wintoflash to put windows 7 onto a usb flash drive. 

When starting my computer, I get a black screen with a blinking white cursor, and nothing happens. It stays on this screen until I hard reboot.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,958
Message 4 of 13

can you beg, borrow or steal ( Smiley Wink ) an external optical drive to boot your recovery disk #1?

personally, i've never had much luck with bootable usb sticks. my guess is that your stick is not configured properly for booting, so the machine doesn't find anything it can use.

regards.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

lenovojp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,949
Message 5 of 13

You've been so helpful, thanks so much and i apologize for asking so many questions. 

Here is where I am right now. 

I've installed Windows 7 Professional (from an .iso file copied on a DVD-r)

However, since I have a Lenovo X201 Tablet, and want to use all the other features (without spending hours downloading all the drivers, etc). I once again tried to use my Lenovo recory boot disc, which contains the .wim file.

When I started up, (the only thing i changed in bios was the boot order, I only moved the CD drive up to #1) and I got an error about not having a HDD (much like when you boot up a completely wiped out computer). 

So my next idea is to try to somehow get a .iso image of the .wim file and burn it using powerISO onto another disc, and try to boot from there. However, I don't know how to make an iso image out of the wim file (poweriso doesn't let me change the .wim file), and I am not 100% sure this will work.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,946
Message 6 of 13

are you starting the machine up from a power-off state with disk 1 in the optical drive? keep an eye on the screen as it boots. you *may* see a prompt telling you to "press any key to boot from cd".

regards.

lenovojp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,942
Message 7 of 13

nope, nothing like that. After the "Press blue thinkvantage button..." screen it goes black for a few seconds then says "Windows fialed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause, etc etc" then it says "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible". However, if I take the CD out, it starts up fine. I did notice that there was only one C: drive in the partition and the recovery and the other SYS_DRV drive weren't there anymore. Could it be because I wiped it out?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,934
Message 8 of 13

it sounds like your recovery disk set may not have been created successfully.

what are the contents (directory listing) of your recovery disk 1?

regards.

lenovojp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,925
Message 9 of 13

Hmmm, so I don't actually have a recovery disc 1, the way my RnR made the copies it was "Boot disc" (1 disk) and "Data Disc" (14 discs). 

The contents after opening the .wim file with poweriso are:

Program Files

Program Data

sources

Users 

Windows

lenovojp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,921
Message 10 of 13

I think the files may be corrupt. I just used poweriso to burn (and verify) the contents into another disc as an iso file. During the verification, it said that almost all the files couldn't be verified so I had to abort.

I do have the standard windows 7 on my machine however, so do I just have to download all the x201 drivers from the Lenovo site?

Also, my machine will not recognize my lenovo's wireless, so I cannot seem to connect to the internet (only option it gives me is dial up) so will it fix this if I download the wireless driver and install into my machine?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors