cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jack_min00
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 1 of 5

Reinstall Windows 10 on Thinkpad x230 with new hard drive.

Hi. 

I have a Thinkpad x230.

To escape from the issue of the lack of hard disk (128G, SSD), I decide to replace the old SSD hard drive with a new 1TB SSD. 

However, I don't know how to reinstall windows 10 on a new hard drive. 

The original OS on my laptop was Windosw 7 and I did free upgrade to Windows 10. 

I have only an original back up USB drive. 

No Windows 10 installation USB or CD. 

No Window 7 or 10 CD key. 

I can guess that I need a Windows 10 installation USB and a CD key which I don't have.

Please advise me the procedure which I need to do to reinstall successfully. 

Thanks.

adgenco
Token Ring
Views: 109
Message 2 of 5

Re: Reinstall Windows 10 on Thinkpad x230 with new hard drive.

Hi,

If you have a PC running a copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 (properly licensed and activated), you can go to the Download Windows 10 webpage and run the Media Creation Tool to create and save the installation files to a USB drive or as an ISO file.

Once the SSD has been replaced and Windows 10 installed, you will not be asked for a product key, and when connected to the Internet, you'll have a digital license to Windows 10, which you can confirm by going to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

The digital license should be associated with that specific device, which means you can format or replace the disk and perform a clean installation of the same edition of Windows 10 anytime. You won't need a product key, and activation should be automatic.

jack_min00
Paper Tape
Views: 101
Message 3 of 5

Hi, Adgenco. 

Thank you for your advice. 

I don't have another PC but I think I can download Windows 10 and make an installation USB on my laptop before replacing the new hard drive.

So do you mean that I don't need a product key if I download and make a Windows 10 installation USB on a laptop or PC which has a proper Windows license?

adgenco
Token Ring
Views: 91
Message 4 of 5

Hi Jack,

As far as I know, windows 10 stores the licence in the machine.

You could make your intallation media with the old disk, then swap them and make a brand new installation on the 1TB SSD.

Should anything go wrong you can always put the old SSD and continue to use the machine.

jack_min00
Paper Tape
Views: 83
Message 5 of 5

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals