cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shadows
Paper Tape
Views: 1,953
Message 1 of 5

Replacing Non-Multitouch XGA LCD with Multitouch-XGA?

Hi,
Recently the screen for my X61 cracked and now I have black marks everywhere... When I first got it, I regretted not getting the multitouch but now that I have found I have to replace the screen anyway I thought it might be an option. I found a screen on ebay (apparently the only X61 Tablet Screen there) for 300ish (which is much much cheaper then what lenovo parts offered me: $1000+ if i heard right...) but the part number is different and it is multi-touch; other then that, it seems similar:

One the Lenovo X61 parts page the ebay screen (13N7233) is decribed as:
12.1-in. XGA TFT, touch panel, digitizer assembly G5 for wireless WAN
While the one meant for my model (13N7224) is:
12.1-in. XGA TFT, protection plate, digitizer assembly G5

Now I am wondering if the replacement is simply the addition of a couple new drivers or the difference between multitouch and non-multitouch is a hardware thing (other then the screen itself of course). Someone on lenovo tech support said that in thoery, it should work but it would suck if it didn't. I'm don't know if much on this subject but forgive me if it is a really stupid idea... So has anyone ever tried this before or has a recommendation on whether I should/shouldn't do it?

On a side note:
There are a thick black blobs everywhere on my screen. It is still kind of usable but the black marks are unbearable and spreading like ink. I read somewhere that it is the liquid inside the screen (I don't know if thats right or not) but I was wondering if i can somehow reduce the black marks somehow. It is the only really setback as the cracks aren't that noticeable.
ctoys
Token Ring
Views: 1,870
Message 2 of 5

Re: Replacing Non-Multitouch XGA LCD with Multitouch-XGA?

Concerning your screen damage, the LCD crystals in each pixel normally open and close to expose light based on the electrical current.   Usually the liquid crystals stay within each pixel in the middle of six or seven layers of screen, however the liquid can spread like ink blobs when damaged.  

I don't know that I would risk buying a screen on eBay, mostly because my luck with used electronics from eBay has been on the negative side.    Buying a new screen from Lenovo doesn't sound like a cost-effective solution either, since you can practically buy a new laptop for not much more.   I'd probably opt to use it as a desktop PC for someone else along with one of my older LCD monitors.   Too bad about the damage, but doesn't sounds like you have any cheap options that aren't risky.  Someone else might have a suggestion!

Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
369011a
Paper Tape
Views: 1,347
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

i have the same problem with Shadows... does anybody know if it possible to install a 13N7233 lcd to my x61?

mine is a 7762-cto model...

i can find a 13N7233 lcd for $110 on ebay.....

Thanks!

Message Edited by 369011a on 05-13-2009 05:47 AM
Shadows
Paper Tape
Views: 1,316
Message 4 of 5

Hey,

Its me again. I ended up buying the multi-touch model screen from ebay and this is what I wish I knew earlier:

The screens are pretty much the same for digitizer and non-tablet models (not exaclty sure about multi-touch). What makes a tablet a tablet is a thin magnetic sheet found behind the screen. So assuming the magnetic sheet still functions fine, you can swap in a standard non-tablet screen and it would wouldnt make a difference. So instead of spending the 300 I did on the screen with the tablet model number (which had NOTHING special or multi-touch about it) I should have just bought a standard non-tablet x61 screen and replaced it. Anyways, my screen was fixed (although I could have gotten it for cheaper) and it is still working now.

This was just my experiance and I'm not exactly sure if yours would be the same but I just wanted to mention it incase it helped someone out. (Uh, obviously not a lenovo employee, but I might as well put in a random disclaimer)

sipp11
802.11n
Views: 1,250
Message 5 of 5

@Shadows wrote:

Hey,

Its me again. I ended up buying the multi-touch model screen from ebay and this is what I wish I knew earlier:

The screens are pretty much the same for digitizer and non-tablet models (not exaclty sure about multi-touch). What makes a tablet a tablet is a thin magnetic sheet found behind the screen. So assuming the magnetic sheet still functions fine, you can swap in a standard non-tablet screen and it would wouldnt make a difference. So instead of spending the 300 I did on the screen with the tablet model number (which had NOTHING special or multi-touch about it) I should have just bought a standard non-tablet x61 screen and replaced it. Anyways, my screen was fixed (although I could have gotten it for cheaper) and it is still working now.

This was just my experiance and I'm not exactly sure if yours would be the same but I just wanted to mention it incase it helped someone out. (Uh, obviously not a lenovo employee, but I might as well put in a random disclaimer)

Nice to know it works out well for you. But for you information, I won't get non-tablet screen although that can save me $200. Reason? quality of the screen is the one. I don't talk about the digitizer at all. The thin magnetic sheet is Wacom digitizer, for multi-touch model, it will be another layer on the front.

Viewing angle for both horizontal & vertical are fantastic on Tablet model, but it's pretty bad for non-tablet model.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors