Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inre
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,251
Message 1 of 7

Restore to factory settings?

I bought used X200 (7448-CTO) tablet and I can't find restore partition on hard disk. If I press ThinkVantage-button there is only three options: resume normal startup, enter the Bios setup utility, choose temporary startup device. Laptop won't detect WiFi-card, touchscreen won't work, fingerprint reader won't work etc. Do I have any options to restore factory settings? Do I have to order restore DVD:s from Lenovo and how much it will cost? Warranty is still valid.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,238
Message 2 of 7

Re: Restore to factory settings?

It sounds like the seller did a clean install of the OS.  Especially since some of the drivers are missing.

You could make a call to service and get a set of restore discs, or you could download and run System Update and let it find all your drivers for you.

The only thing that will get you back a restore partition is installing the OS with a set of restore discs.

If you decide to run it like it is, here's system update.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=TVSU-UPDATE

Look in start, programs, thinkvantage, (if that folder is there), and see if rescue and  recovery is listed there.  Click on it and see what comes up.

What OS is installed anyway?

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
inre
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,223
Message 3 of 7

It comes originally with Windows Vista and the seller has upgraded it to Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit). I am just wondering why the seller did a clean install if he knew that some drivers will disappear and the device will not operate normally. And even if the restore partition will disappear! As far as I am concerned you can it so that all the drivers will remain. 

Thanks for help, I will try it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,212
Message 4 of 7

If you get restore discs, they're going to be for  Vista, not Windows 7.  Even if your machine still had the recovery partition, that partition would have Vista on it.  

Doing an upgrade over Vista usually doesn't go so well.  A clean install works a lot better, quicker and cleaner.  Granted, you have to hunt down some drivers and it's somewhat harder to do, but it runs a lot better.  

Once you get the OS the way you want it, go into Control Panel, Backup and  Restore, and burn a system repair disc. That's a Windows 7 boot disc.  There will also be an option to save a backup image of the OS. I would save the image to an external hard drive. That way, you can restore the OS in case you have any problems down the road, like if the hard drive crashes or the OS gets corrupted.

Before you start doing all this, set a restore point in Windows in case you have to get back to where you are now.   

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
inre
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,203
Message 5 of 7

At this point I don't mind what OS I use. I will accept even Vista. I just want that the wireless connection will work(that OS detect device) and tablet buttons and pen input will work. In this condition laptop is useless.

inre
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,177
Message 6 of 7

It took several hours but now almost all the systems works properly. I have problems only with fingerprint reader. System won't detect it. I tried to calibrate dispays colours but still it seems to be way too faint. Dispay is 230nit LED (with one touch). Is this charasteristic or can I do something for it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,161
Message 7 of 7

Do you have a usb wireless adapter that you can use just to get online with?  Then you could run system update and get all your drivers.

That will give you your wireless, tablet pen function and everything else.

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors