cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stansfield
Serial Port
Views: 3,934
Message 1 of 3

SD card reader won't recognize 16GB SDHC cards (or bigger probably)

Well yeah, the problem is in the title. It's a 7764 with the standard SD/MMC reader.

I had Vista Ultimate and tried to fix the issue for some time (changing drivers, installing MS hotfixes), but it didn't help, so I thought the last chance would be with Win 7.

Now I have Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and the issue stayed the same. After the card is inserted (in my case it's a SanDisk Extreme III 16GB class 6 SDHC, but I've read that other people with 16GB cards had the same problem), the system doesn't react in any way. Actually in Vista sometimes the Safely Remove Hardware icon appeared for a second just after inserting the card then disappeared, in Win 7 there's no reaction whatsoever). Tried to force the system to see the card, scan for hardware changes, refresh etc, no result.

Any ideas? It's one of the best cards on the market, and definitely not some no-name, so why won't my X61 see it? It's supposed to be SDHC compatible (and reads my 8GB SDHC fine).

Thanks!

---
Polish by birth, Bruxellois by home, European at heart... but underneath all that, a proud owner of one of the earliest and still best X61 Tablets: 7764-CTO, SuperView SXGA+, 4GB Kingston HyperX 4-4-4-12 SDRAM, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
jcramer
What's DOS?
Views: 3,630
Message 2 of 3

Re: SD card reader won't recognize 16GB SDHC cards (or bigger probably) a similar

I had a similar problem with a card reader on a different laptop. I contacted TI (Texas Instruments - the card reader maker) and they indicated there was a limit on the card reader (actually the driver) and it would not read larger cards. The only way you will probably make it work is to get a driver update for the card reader that will read 16gig cards.

Stansfield
Serial Port
Views: 3,618
Message 3 of 3

Re: SD card reader won't recognize 16GB SDHC cards (or bigger probably) a similar

Yeah, I also thought it could be a driver issue. Unfortunately I was unable to determine the manufacturer and model of the reader, so I don't know where to look for the drivers (I don't think there are any on Lenovo's site).

Does anyone know what reader it is or where to get these drivers?

---
Polish by birth, Bruxellois by home, European at heart... but underneath all that, a proud owner of one of the earliest and still best X61 Tablets: 7764-CTO, SuperView SXGA+, 4GB Kingston HyperX 4-4-4-12 SDRAM, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors