Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bellaroxio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 724
Message 1 of 6

SSD SSD Help

For the past 5 hours, I have poured over search results to no avail.

My X220T will be arriving in (2) weeks: i7/8GB/320GB

In this laptop, MS office, acrobat pro, QuickBooks pro, Visio, and several security and networking software will be loaded.  About 10GB of files will reside inside the hard drive.  Most of the time, I will use my dropbox which is about 50GB large.

When I get a phone call, I need my laptop to boot asap.  This is why I am moving away from my beloved Sony VPCSA.

Upon search results, my best bet is the use 7mm mSATA SSD as boot drive. Am I correct?

If that is the case, what brand/model/size of SSD should I get?  I read that the new Samsung is excellent.

Guys, thanks so so much.

bellaroxio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 696
Message 2 of 6

Re: SSD SSD Help

Upon more research, 50mm mSATA SSD is the way to go.  Now down to which brand and size.

I am thinking of >100GB.

Renice, Intel, Mydigitallife, Samsung.

Not OCZ

bubbachuck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 684
Message 3 of 6

What do you mean by 50mm?

In your first post you mentioned 7mm mSATA SSD.  AFAIK, 7mm and mSATA refer to two different things.

7mm refers to the height that the SATA storage drive needs to be to fit into the shortened drive bay on the x220/x220t.  Normal SATA 2.5" drives are ~9.5mm in height.

mSATA refers to small form factor drives that can be plugged into the mini PCIexpress slot of certain models.  This avoids using up the normal SATA drive bay, which can hold a regular HDD so you can actually have your SSD as a fast boot drive and still have a room on the HDD to store a lot of data.  See http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/574993-msata-faq-basic-primer.html.

I'm looking for an mSATA myself.  128GB would be nice, but as just boot drive, you would be fine with 60-80GB or less even.

bellaroxio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 676
Message 4 of 6

When I made the 1st post, I was a 5-hour newbie into SSD.

Now, as I understand it, 7mm is for the SSD replacement for the hard drive and 50mm mSata is needed if WWAN slot is used.  I hope I am right.

So for a boot drive, despite MS office, Security and Surveillance software, 60-80GB is more than enough?

IF that is the case, I would be saving lots of $.  I was looking at the $300 Renice 120MB.

Thanks

Guru
Views: 662
Message 5 of 6

7mm refers to the height of the hard drive to fit into the HDD slot, 7mm is more thin when compared to the normal thickness of a laptop HDD. The mSATA is simply a different slot that you can put in a second drive. If you are going to run with both the HDD that the machine comes with and the SSD in the mSATA slot, that might slow down your boot times because it has to deal with looking at both drives when it boots. You would still boot faster with the Operating system on the mSATA SSD than having it on the HDD. Also, note that if you have a second stick of RAM in the machine that will slightly slow down the boot times.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 120GB. I have about 4-6GB free on my T400 with a 64GB drive at anytime. I have considered removing the recovery partition to free up additional space. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
bellaroxio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 657
Message 6 of 6

nibs,

Thanks so much for your info.  Only if I have the resource to find out what is the differential boot time between a 320gb SSD (like yours) and a 320gb HDD with 120gb MSATA like the Renice.

I guess the antivirus software also make a difference.  Currently I have PC tools on my vpcsa and OMG, it slows boot time down dramatically.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals