ddp
Paper Tape
Views: 7,465
Message 1 of 17

Screen replacement - digitizer support

Hi guys,

So I took my laptop out of my bag about a week ago and found this:

http://imgur.com/HIRHJ

(I took the photo today, I've been too busy to deal with the issue for the past week but I've played around with it now.)

As you can see on the screen, there is a large crack across the top right (which I have no clue where it came from, considering I had nothing in my bag but the laptop and my bag was never impacted in any way). Most importantly, however, no image is displayed, which renders my laptop unusable as a laptop Smiley Sad (and I desperately need it for uni, fortunately this past week was a break but now I am without a laptop to take notes in...)

Plugging in the laptop to an external monitor works fine as expected, however, so does the digitizer pen. i.e. if I wave my pen above the broken screen, it appears to work perfectly on the duplicated external monitor, clicking and all.

So, my guess is that all I need to do is replace the screen, right? According to the manual, http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/0a60175_04.pdf (where mine is 4294-CTO), the LCD panel I want is 04W1545. I've found one for $175 which is great, but when I asked if the place could also replace the screen for me, they said it would no longer be a tablet. They said they "think I might need to get the full screen + digitizer for $650 + installation" which is utterly ridiculous, considering that's nearly the price I paid for the laptop.

What I want to know is: what do I have to do to get my screen fixed, such that it still works as a tablet? I haven't asked Lenovo because my laptop is about a month out of warranty, plus I doubt they'd cover accidental (or rather, spontaneous) damage, and that it would be ridiculously expensive to get it replaced with them.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Dan

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 7,418
Message 2 of 17

Re: Screen replacement - digitizer support

replacing the Tablet LCD is a very expensive exercise, since there is also a digitizer layer involved.

Try calling Lenovo warranty service, and ask about aftermarket parts sale, and specifically request the parts . But it won't be cheap, around the price that you have been quoted for the full repair.

If you are worried about cost, then you should probably sell your current laptop for parts or as it is. And then get another X220t.

Aftermarket parts for the X220t screen assembly isn't widely available, so this drives up the price of available parts.

From the picture, you got the X220i Tablet, which is not sold in Australia.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ddp
Paper Tape
Views: 7,397
Message 3 of 17

Thanks lead_org. You're correct, I have the x220i, not t.

I don't know how the digitizer layer works, but from what you say it sounds like it's a separate part from the LCD screen itself.

What I don't understand is why replacing the screen means I have to replace the digitizer layer, when I explained that it still works - if it's separate, surely replacing the screen shouldn't impact it? If it's not separate, then surely replacing the screen replaces the digitizer layer?

In either case, thanks a lot for your help Smiley Happy

Views: 7,377
Message 4 of 17

The digitiser layer is bonded to the LCD from what i rememter. It is expensive due to the limited availability of the part.
Regards,

Jin Li

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,361
Message 5 of 17

I do not have an x220 tablet to look at, but earlier models had different parts depending on whether the screen was pen-only or supported finger-touch.  All the screens had a magnet-sensitive digitizer that was attached to the back of the panel by an adhesive.  It was a pain to get it off, but it could certainly be done.  The finger-models added another digitizer that was on the front and used capacitive discharge input.  The front layer could not be removed using normal means. Screens from Lenovo include everything.  Aftermarket screens I have seen come without either digitizer, and the finger-only models came with no writing surface.  I was never able to find a source for the writing surface for pen models

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Views: 7,349
Message 6 of 17

From the screenshot, OP have a mutlitouch screen.
Regards,

Jin Li

terencechan
Punch Card
Views: 7,337
Message 7 of 17

Actually, what is the difference between x220i tablet and x220 tablet?

Regards,
Terence Chan
X230 Tablet, X220, W530, ThinkPad Tablet 2, X1 Carbon Touch
Views: 7,315
Message 8 of 17

X220i tablet usually comes with i3 CPU. While the X220t have i3, i5, i7 option.
Regards,

Jin Li

ddp
Paper Tape
Views: 7,291
Message 9 of 17

Once again, thanks a lot for everyone who replied.

I am somewhat confused as to why Lenovo does not provide this detail in their Hardware Maintenance Manual for the x220i Tablet. As far as I can tell, the only LCD component I need is 04W1545 "LCD panel, 12.5-in. WXGA, LED backlight for multi-touch panel" (page 127).

This is the precise one I found for $175 but according to the replies I also need to replace the digitizer. However, I cannot see any digitizer listed anywhere in the manual? (http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/0a60175_04.pdf) What components exactly would I need to replace, or why would Lenovo list the replacement screen as one without support for a digitizer? :/

My apologies if my questions seem stupid, I'm just quite confused.

Thanks,

Dan

Views: 7,277
Message 10 of 17

the lenovo hardware manual doesn't list the capactative touch or the digitiser as a separate replacement part (because they come from the factory as a single entity).

replacement screen from Lenovo would come with the digitizer.
Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors