Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crushkilla
Paper Tape
Views: 1,622
Message 1 of 9

Seriously considering an X220 Tablet for medical school

Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I'm really considering buying one of these for note taking and after reading many glowing reviews I'm close to set on it. However, while doing my research on the tablet I stumbled upon issues regarding palm rejection and problems with the digitizer's precision on the edges of the screen. This is my first time venturing into the tablet world, so I'm not sure if the complaints that I'm reading about truly wreck the user experience, or if the complaints are being exaggerated (for lack of a better word) by tablet connoisseurs who expect nothing less than perfect from Lenovo. Specifically, my questions are:

1) As a student who will be using it mostly with OneNote, how glaring are these problems? Is palm rejection as terrible as people say it is or can it be simply solved by putting the digitizer on the screen before setting your palm down?

2) And as for menu buttons on the edge of the screen, is it really that tough to get to them? Does using your finger to press the menu buttons on the edge of the screen serve as a good workaround for this problem?

3) I read somewhere that the "edge issue" is more of a problem during landscape orientation as opposed to portrait. Is this true?

4) Have the previous Lenovo tablets suffered from similar issues and were they addressed with driver updates? That is, should I expect these issues to eventually be fixed?

5) How do the X201 tablet and X200 tablet compare to the X220 tablet when it comes to these issues? Were they nonexistent, or were they not as bad? Would I be better off with an X200 or X201?

6) Do "aftermarket" or non-wacom digitizer pens work at addressing these issues?

I really want to be satisfied with a product I'll be spending ~$1400 on!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,607
Message 2 of 9

Re: Seriously considering an X220 Tablet for medical school

Hi crushkilla and welcome to the forum,

I think I can answer some of your questions but first I just want to point out that people posting on help forums are not posting the virtues of the machines, they're posting their problems. People rarely post how happy they are with their machines. So, if you consider the ratio of complaints with the number of machines sold, well, you see what I'm getting at, right?

The "edge"  issue has been around as long as tablets have been around in one form or another.  I have 4 x41ts and they're off "a little" at the edges. I have an hp tablet and it's off "a little" at the edges.  At the edges if you hold the pen perpendicular to the screen it works better. They're not off that much. 

I've tried different pens and they all work pretty much the same.  The thing with Lenovo is that issues do get fixed. They don't sweep them under the rug.   

The more I use a tablet, the more I like it.  I never had an issue pressing on the menu buttons with the pen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OaGKvJiGHw

Here's a video from one of our gurus about how to make the x220t a better tablet. There's some good tips.

All in all I like my tablets, I wish I could afford a new one, I would get an x220t.

I'm sure other posters will jump in here and give their opinions.

Dave 

HypertextEye
Punch Card
Views: 1,575
Message 3 of 9

I'll answer a few of these questions.

2) Trying to hit the menu buttons is just a minor annoyance. The real issue is with inking.

3) In my experience the opposite is true. It's much worse in portrait. And the width of the screen in portrait mode makes it even more noticeable. 

4) I also own an x61t which did suffer from some edge accuracy issues, but it wasn't too hard too work around it or completely ignore it. While I could never get a perfect calibration, the error was consistant across the screen (always leading the stylus a small amount), only distorting very close to the edge. Trying to write on the x220t is a major pain. The error seems almost random and just gets worse closer to the edge.

6) Because of how the digitizer works, no after market stylus will have any effect on accuracy. The only thing they're good for is perhaps giving a more comfortable grip or an extra button. For any stylus to work with the active digitizer, it must be "penabled." The stylus itself is very simple. It's basically just a tiny spring inside a plastic stick that gets depressed when the nib touches the screen. All the work is done by the digitizer.

I'm not really trying to talk you out of a purchase. Except fot the accuracy issue, it really is a great machine. It's something I'd normally suggest you try before you buy, but in most situations that's simply not possible with these tablets. 

mastereric1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,532
Message 4 of 9

If you can deal with the digitzer issue, the x220 is a great laptop - I'd recommend an extended service plan though as I'm already having issues with mine and it's only two weeks old. However, if you desire your experience with the digitizer to be perfect I recommend an HP TM2-1000 with the SU9600 process and switchable ATI 4550 graphics. They go for about 800 on ebay. It was my last laptop and only switched because I wanted a better screen (didn't realize x220s had the digitzer issue when I switched). The digitizer on the HP TM2, and the previous HP TX2 I had, worked perfectly - it was a great experience. No edge issue, no nothing, it just worked. However, the lower resolution on the TM2 is a bit annoying if you want to have two windows open at the same time.

If lenovo can pull their act together and fix the digitizer issue (which is purely a software issue, because HP uses similar hardware but HP's tablets do not have the issue) then the x220 is the better buy. If not, the HP TM2 is better.

crushkilla
Paper Tape
Views: 1,528
Message 5 of 9

Is the x201 free of this issue?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,502
Message 6 of 9

hp tablets do have the issue.  I have one.  Every tablet I ever used has it to a certain extent.  Some are better than others.

Dave

mludwig
Serial Port
Views: 1,494
Message 7 of 9

The x220 tablet is a great laptop. Powerful and light at the same time. If only it were as good of a tablet as it is a laptop. The edge behavior is getting annoying, especially since Windows had toolbars, buttons, menus there. It makes it painful to navigate. Inking is fine as long as you stay off the edges.
crushkilla
Paper Tape
Views: 1,438
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for the advice, guys. Those edge issues are what keep me away from buying an x220. I'm getting serious about buying an x201, however -- did it have a better tablet experience than the x220?
kissan
Punch Card
Views: 1,402
Message 9 of 9

why in the world would u buy an x201 rather than a x220t.. other than the pricing issue. 

the x220 is an improvement on the x201

Top Kudoed Authors